It's Microsoft Word, not Microsoft Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just call it M$Word :sweat:...

back to the topic at hand, I feel that this has to do with the lack of emphasis on properly spelling and pronunciation in our social circles.

I agree.

Many just don't have the interest to get it right.

A good example is as written above, "len".
A person that truely has the interest would understand that one lens is a lens.

I hear people say, "a Lemax printer, an Olympic camera, a Fuji fineprint camera" and so on.

If they cared they would read the name and say it.

I bet few people call a BMW a BMX :bsmilie:

Has anyone wondered why so many people tend to refer to the popular word processing application as "Words" or MS-Words, or Microsoft Words when the correct description is "Microsoft Word" without the plural?

Could it be because they are typing lots of words and hence, call it "Words"

several reasons..
- some csers command of language not as good as others
- some csers intentionally misspell words (misplaced cool factor?)
- some just bochup. as long as sound like (50%) they will hantam

either way i see no reason to feel irritated by this. just a way of net life.

Has anyone wondered why so many people tend to refer to the popular word processing application as "Words" or MS-Words, or Microsoft Words when the correct description is "Microsoft Word" without the plural?

Could it be because they are typing lots of words and hence, call it "Words"

i also sometimes very tempted to be anal about grammar and spelling

for example, with 100% queen's english, the above post should read:

Has anyone wondered why so many people tend to refer to the popular word processing application as "Words" or "MS-Words" (be consistent! NO NEED COMMA or "Microsoft Words" consistency consistency consistency when the correct description is "Microsoft Word", without the plural?

Could it be because they TENSES have been typing haiyo, lots, parking lots ar A LOT of words, and hence, call it "Words" ? punctuation!

this is why, we should never become grammar/spelling nazis, i think 99% of people out there are guilty of not following proper english protocol

this is the internet after all, shrug

MS-Words has nothing to do with grammar. I reckon these people really thought that the program is named as with the letter "s".

It is as if I called you nightmare instead of night86mare; or maybe nitemeh instead of night86mare.

By the way, since you are tempted to be anal about grammar, do capitalise your sentence and end it with a full stop.

i also sometimes very tempted to be anal about grammar and spelling

for example, with 100% queen's english, the above post should read:

Has anyone wondered why so many people tend to refer to the popular word processing application as "Words" or "MS-Words" (be consistent! NO NEED COMMA or "Microsoft Words" consistency consistency consistency when the correct description is "Microsoft Word", without the plural?

Could it be because they TENSES have been typing haiyo, lots, parking lots ar A LOT of words, and hence, call it "Words" ? punctuation!

this is why, we should never become grammar/spelling nazis, i think 99% of people out there are guilty of not following proper english protocol

this is the internet after all, shrug

we need to nickname you something to do with selective vision. or perhaps you have a very warped sense of humour

uncle, i say NO NEED TO BOTHER WITH THIS SORT OF THING

that's why i always anyhow type like this now, can type more rubbish faster

why you ask me to add fullstops? just showing you why you shouldn't laugh at people la huh, because haiyo, if you want to be very nitpicky about this kind of thing, look at yourself in the mirror first :) eh you know hor, the majority say you shouldn't be nitpicky about this sort of thing, so why you want to continue this discusion? by your form of logic, you already proven wrong and wrong leh.

last time got this very smart man said:

battle not with monsters
lest ye become a monster
if you gaze into the abyss
the abyss gazes into you

he also never use proper grammar, but makes a lot of sense

:p :devil: :p

Wait, I realise that I have not typed that last post out in proper English. This means that you are going to have high blood pressure. Hence, for your benefit, in proper English:

I do propose that perhaps we should give you a proper nickname. Yes, a proper nickname! It will definitely have something to do with the idea of selective vision, or perhaps the idea of a poor sense of humour. If you did not get the gist of my last post, I was driving at the idea that we should not care too much about such matters on the Internet. Why? Because it is the Internet, that is why. I usually do not bother with spelling or grammar myself. However, you seem to have thoroughly misinterpreted this (as usual) to suit your own purposes to say something inane in return. (Inane = foolish)

Why would you ask me to add punctuation and capitalise the start of my sentences? Being a very obedient boy, I have done what you have asked. I totally respect you for your age. In any case, I apologise for the last post being a total eyesore. I do suggest that perhaps, before one wishes to indirectly poke fun at others' mistakes, he should reflect upon his own standards. It would be immensely ironic if you commented on this in public and your counterparts then pointed out that your own expressions and sentences were full of errors as well. I am but attempting to save you from immense potential embarassment in future. I am looking out for your good, being a very good boy. I apologise sincerely if I have erred in looking out for your interests, or have offended you due to a certain inherent characteristic of yours (i.e. that of being unable to perhaps, handle the truth).

By the way, if you look at the responses to your thread, most of the respondents have already stated the point of view that you are wasting your time bothering about such matters. I therefore humbly suggest that you close this thread because it seems to have served its purpose of showing something about you. Also, by your own logic stated clearly in the public domains of the Kopitiam section of these internet forums, the majority's opinion of anything matters a lot. Therefore, please follow your own logic.

Nietzsche once said this:

Battle not with monsters
lest ye become a monster
and if you gaze into the abyss
the abyss gazes into you.

I suppose we would have to take something away from that.

P.S. I am extremely sorry if I have committed some form of English error in the above, please accept my humblest and sincerest apologies if you detect any. I did not mean to soil your godly eyes. :)

You are proposing to take a lower standard of English on the Internet.

However, what if I telling you that that the occurences I am seeing are not on the Internet, or forums or the like. I am referring to official communications by commercial companies during my work.

If however, you prefer to import your standard of English into the workplace, sure go ahead and be my guest.

I do not have any difficulties with people adopting a contrary view, so long as such views are well substantiated. I do not see any need to close any threads to stifle discussions as I do not subscribe to your last shot policy of "last posts".

Wait, I realise that I have not typed that last post out in proper English. This means that you are going to have high blood pressure. Hence, for your benefit, in proper English:

I do propose that perhaps we should give you a proper nickname. Yes, a proper nickname! It will definitely have something to do with the idea of selective vision, or perhaps the idea of a poor sense of humour. If you did not get the gist of my last post, I was driving at the idea that we should not care too much about such matters on the Internet. Why? Because it is the Internet, that is why. I usually do not bother with spelling or grammar myself. However, you seem to have thoroughly misinterpreted this (as usual) to suit your own purposes to say something inane in return. (Inane = foolish)

Why would you ask me to add punctuation and capitalise the start of my sentences? Being a very obedient boy, I have done what you have asked. I totally respect you for your age. In any case, I apologise for the last post being a total eyesore. I do suggest that perhaps, before one wishes to indirectly poke fun at others' mistakes, he should reflect upon his own standards. It would be immensely ironic if you commented on this in public and your counterparts then pointed out that your own expressions and sentences were full of errors as well. I am but attempting to save you from immense potential embarassment in future. I am looking out for your good, being a very good boy. I apologise sincerely if I have erred in looking out for your interests, or have offended you due to a certain inherent characteristic of yours (i.e. that of being unable to perhaps, handle the truth).

By the way, if you look at the responses to your thread, most of the respondents have already stated the point of view that you are wasting your time bothering about such matters. I therefore humbly suggest that you close this thread because it seems to have served its purpose of showing something about you. Also, by your own logic stated clearly in the public domains of the Kopitiam section of these internet forums, the majority's opinion of anything matters a lot. Therefore, please follow your own logic.

Battle not with monsters
lest ye become a monster

P.S. I am extremely sorry if I have committed some form of English error in the above, please accept my humblest and sincerest apologies if you detect any. I did not mean to soil your godly eyes. :)

Battle not with monsters
lest ye become a monster

tat wash a gud wan :sweatsm:

You are proposing to take a lower standard of English on the Internet.

However, what if I telling you that that the occurences I am seeing are not on the Internet, or forums or the like. I am referring to official communications by commercial companies during my work.

If however, you prefer to import your standard of English into the workplace, sure go ahead and be my guest.

I do not have any difficulties with people adopting a contrary view, so long as such views are well substantiated. I do not see any need to close any threads to stifle discussions as I do not subscribe to your last shot policy of "last posts".

well..sad to say even at the workplace not everyone speaks the level of english you have come to expect. all i can say is if it irks you that much maybe you can propose to your management, or if you are management, propose some "speak and write good english" classes for these folks. if i'm not wrong the british high comm does conduct such classes. if those people are from external companies, maybe you can subtly hint to them :p

Thanks for the suggestion. I still take the view that it is not a matter of level of English, but using the correct name. It is more a misspelling or wrong idea rather than grammar or the like.

Its probably the same as someone calling it "Microsoft Window". A person with a poor level of English may still get Microsoft Word correct becuase he is familar with the product or familar with software, and a top management with very good English may still call it "Words" due to lack of familiarity.

well..sad to say even at the workplace not everyone speaks the level of english you have come to expect. all i can say is if it irks you that much maybe you can propose to your management, or if you are management, propose some "speak and write good english" classes for these folks. if i'm not wrong the british high comm does conduct such classes. if those people are from external companies, maybe you can subtly hint to them :p

I agree.

Many just don't have the interest to get it right.

A good example is as written above, "len".
A person that truely has the interest would understand that one lens is a lens.

I hear people say, "a Lemax printer, an Olympic camera, a Fuji fineprint camera" and so on.

If they cared they would read the name and say it.

I bet few people call a BMW a BMX :bsmilie:
LOL!!!!! Canon 'fillframe' camera!!! Ayam 'Penggang', Pasar 'Lamam', Mee 'Lebus'....:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Another thing that irks me is the way a significant number of Singaporeans address the government as GAHMEN when they start ranting. Gahmen doesn't even exist in the dictionary. If you want to be taken seriously, spell properly first. :nono:

Hehehe, but some say that Internet Ranting requires a lower standard of English!

GAHMEN sounds a lot like "garment" though, ie a piece of clothing.

Another thing that irks me is the way a significant number of Singaporeans address the government as GAHMEN when they start ranting. Gahmen doesn't even exist in the dictionary. If you want to be taken seriously, spell properly first. :nono:

Hehehe, but some say that Internet Ranting requires a lower standard of English!

GAHMEN sounds a lot like "garment" though, ie a piece of clothing.

Spelling mistakes can be forgiven but not standard of English. ;)

klose

actually i think why the people do it is because they are worried about people screening internet entries and seeing that they are talking about the GOVERNMENT

i don't know, that's what one particular idiot who did that told me, shrug

if you have the guts to talk about a particular entity, why hide? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.