IT should know everything what...

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxmax

Jul 28, 2005
Singapore
My HR manager ask me for help on her HR portal, she and her software vendor are the administrator for the HR portal while I have no admin rights at all. I couldn't help much as I am not a programmer nor I know which is the correct database she want to delete in the server or where to edit her program. Well, she is the kind that like to push the blames or her jobs to others. She gave me an excuse saying "IT should know everything what".
Anyone in CS here works in the IT line and agree that IT should know everything?
IT covers very wide range eg,:Networking, Software and Hardware, and each of this have many range too. Do you agree?

Too bad because of couldn't help her, it gave her a chance to complain about me to the CEO. Wicked women:devil:

Welcome to the real world. I have been in IT for a very long time. In my company they call on IT for everything that is of a grey area e.g. mobile phone purchase, telephone line problem. overhead projetor problem, microwave in the pantry problem, coffee maker problem and also toilet cannot flush problem. Yup that is the same comment I keep on getting, "IT should know everything". BTW HR is the most problematic to support. Everything is a secret.

Ever heard Business Users asking IT how to run the Business Process? ;p

eug said:
Oh yes.

IT is a generally - Taiji industry to put it into words.

1 must master the skills on how to use "taiji" to push work to others or just claim that you don't know anything. Or generally - "I dunno ... you still want me to do? Later i mess up, it'll be your problem. "

Alot of work, yes but one must also master the art of DENYING work :bsmilie: :p

eug said:

Yup ...... Everytime ..... You even got accountants asking you how to calculate the accounts payable ......

That is nothing . . . . . .

Some people lagi best - only EVP in HR Department can actually tell IT people how, what and why to do things !!!! And even sit in at the monthly IT Dept meeting and give comments

I did tell her I don't know, she inform the CEO and said that I should be pro-active enough to help her or gave her suggestion. I can only suggest, call the vendor.:cool:

maxmax said:
My HR manager ask me for help on her HR portal, she and her software vendor are the administrator for the HR portal while I have no admin rights at all. I couldn't help much as I am not a programmer nor I know which is the correct database she want to delete in the server or where to edit her program. Well, she is the kind that like to push the blames or her jobs to others. She gave me an excuse saying "IT should know everything what".
Anyone in CS here works in the IT line and agree that IT should know everything?
IT covers very wide range eg,:Networking, Software and Hardware, and each of this have many range too. Do you agree?

Too bad because of couldn't help her, it gave her a chance to complain about me to the CEO. Wicked women:devil:
And tell her, "Can I meet the CEO for kopi later? HUMAN RESOURCE shld know everything what." :think:

Of the dumb ppl u have to meet at ur workplace, this has got to be in one of the highest ranking category. :sweat: My sincere condolences to u.

maxmax said:

Tell her, "If IT know everythings, then why need to hire her? IT can also do her job." :angry:

Haha IT means anything that has some kind of high tech electronics (or maybe not) or software algorithm in the device you must know. :bigeyes: and that includes coffee machine, refrigerator, microwave etc. and most importantly photography since it has gone high tech the digital way. :bsmilie:

maxmax said:

HR Mgr: "Ah Tan! Can help with HR portal anot?? You IT right??? Sure know everything one."

Ah Tan: "Wah.... this one very complicated one.. got peee hedge pee, dot net, jay 2 eee-ee, 128 bit kid antscreeption ones... one mistake and your payslip sure let the whole world see... skali CEO salary also can see then you and I die liao.... think better call vendor....They built the system so very safe to use them."

HR Mgr: "Wah... serious ah... ??"

Ah Tan: "Ah-but-then.... Of course lah... if I can do it... might as well engage me...no need vendor liao lor.... This way we both safer lar... "

HR Mgr: "Huh.... *blur liao*...."

Ah Tan: *GRIN*.....:devil:

RossChang said:
HR should also know every single staff wut... idiots...
They seldom do Bro. :bsmilie:

Well.....customer is always right and if you are in the support line.....never say never even if you do not know something.....a little more tactful will make the different between a very popular or ordinary employee in an organization......But of coz it depens who the user is and I can sense the high pressure since it came from HR.....in this scenario perhaps you should at least offer to help to liase with the vendor, I am sure the vendor will be more than happy to guide you through the steps...that will save your ass and maybe it's a good opportunity for you to learn something new :thumbsup:

Ola said:
Tell her, "If IT know everythings, then why need to hire her? IT can also do her job." :angry:
Wah... you are right man.

Laugh! Yah lor....IT..technical things all cover under 1 single roof!!! Faint~

brother, that's perception and mentality problem,

Yes, they expect you to know everything "UNDER THE SUN" which can hook one end of the device into the power jack.

in my previouse cocky IT position, see, what they WISH i can do for them.

1.) Attend showroom cutomer ???
2.) Repair diskman ???
3.) Repair printer's head ???
4.) Repair copier machine ???
5.) They asked : Do you know how to fix aircon?

damned..... if i can do all these, they only need 2 person to run the company.
1.) Boss.
2.) Me.

so, dun care os much about them, write to your CEO by email.
tell him your situation.

let jsut let it be, u should know this, working in a big firm just like swimming in sea.... a lot of "unaware" dangerous might happened.

especially those specis which can poke behind you...
they are not wicked, but damned wicked (mind my words).

Big Kahuna said:
Well.....customer is always right and if you are in the support line.....never say never even if you do not know something.....a little more tactful will make the different between a very popular or ordinary employee in an organization......But of coz it depens who the user is and I can sense the high pressure since it came from HR.....in this scenario perhaps you should at least offer to help to liase with the vendor, I am sure the vendor will be more than happy to guide you through the steps...that will save your ass and maybe it's a good opportunity for you to learn something new :thumbsup:

but being too popular will probably also make u the "ONLY" person they will call in IT dept....in the end might have to bao mountain bao sea. that's REALLY popular already.

Status
Not open for further replies.