It’s Official! – New Nikkor AF-S 24 mm f/1.4 and Nikkor AF-S 16-35 mm f/4.0G ED VR Re

how come nobody mentioned the poor MTF at the corners for the 16-35mm f4??

For a landscape lens, isn't corners performance impt?

If only the extreme corners are soft at f4, the lens should perform very well stopped down. Most don't shoot landscapes wide open.

then why did nikon try so hard to make the corners for the 14-24mm sharp (or at least acceptable) at f2.8?

From looking at the MTF numbers, it looked similar to my old 24mm AFD which is REALLY bad. not just soft.

That's strange cause I shoot weddings and I use Nikon and I have a Nikon fast wide angle prime lens. Most bizarre.

Oh? you using the 28 F1.4?

MTF charts are used by manufacturers probably because it is somewhat standardised and it's fairly easy to provide some numbers and graphs to show to the public the "performance" of a lens.

They provide some information, but if you understand the limitations of MTF charts, you'll know why you shouldn't rely solely on them to determine the performance of a lens.

For example, the problem with MTF chart testing of a wide-angle lens such as this - MTF testing just tests close focus ability - you'd need a bloody huge test chart to be able to test mid to far focus ability especially for a wide-angle (probably impossible to do). Also, MTF tests for flat field which the lens might not be.

Actually I suggest using N14-24 or N24-70 than getting a 24 f2.8 prime but prime is much cheaper. Because most of us should have both lens when we are thinking of getting 24 f1.4. Unless you are travelling light there is no point getting a 24 f2.8 prime.

Btw f2.8 and f1.4 is 2 stop different but to me it cant justify the price we pay for it as for the pricing now. If you think it is worth 3K+ for it then just get one and make a comparison.

For D3s it isnt cheap, but comparing to 24 f1.4. I can make use of it high ISO capability to shoot with all other lenses than relying on one and controlling a f1.4 will not be an easy task too in a low light situation.

ok.

to each his own!! HUAT AH!!!

one more shot at Bob Krist's blog using the 24mm f1.4 and the Litepanel LP Micro LED On Camera light

LINK

Amazon listed them as <1300

For now, it is a sweet lens at a more afforadable price.

to be exact it's US$1,259.95 @ Amazon which not much different from those already been reported earlier

interesteing Amazon had it as listed as $1,510.00 but cancelled it... was it really at 1,510? since other website, if i remember correctly listed it as US$1,259.95

pricing ploy? hmm...

....flip here flip there....i seem more in love with 16-35mm ...

....flip here flip there....i seem more in love with 16-35mm ...

it's hard decicion isn't it... such a big ticket item...

but lens - good ones are worth investing...

maybe just wait a little longer to see real world review before buying...

meantime... save, save, save if $$$ not available yet...

maybe after CNY u get enough $$$ from APs or playing some game of chance? haha

someone on Dpreview forum said:

"Just buy the Nikon 24-70 and get it over with. 16-35 is not as useful if you're going to be doing a lot of people pics with a FF camera. If you were using two cameras then maybe you could buy both."

what do you guys think? agree? disagree?

I agree with the 2 camera setup. The perspective of a wide angle is too good to miss. While the 24-70 is nice n wide at 24, the 17/16 can do a tad more that gives it a special edge.

someone on Dpreview forum said:

"Just buy the Nikon 24-70 and get it over with. 16-35 is not as useful if you're going to be doing a lot of people pics with a FF camera. If you were using two cameras then maybe you could buy both."

what do you guys think? agree? disagree?

it depends what post is the guy replying to.
if just by this reply alone.
no one would agree, they are totally different focal lengths

Guys....Gentlemen.... there would always be New gears and Newer Gears..and there would always be that never ending debates on which is the best, its flaws etc. but at the end of the day..many would still use the gear...regardless of its flaw or price..Nikon website is usually on the high side..when it hits the shops.price would be speculatively lower than as stated in the sites.. we often compare what lens we use..but we have to take 5 steps back and ask ourself..izzit the gear what camera....what lens we use..that makes a photographer..or izzit our art and how distinct is our art that makes us stand out...

Cheers...happy lunar new years