Issue with 18-200mm VR

nikkorian

Oct 12, 2011
Hi,

Recently I just bought a second hand 18-200VR,
I notice something like this e.g. when the VR is on, I focus on a object and snap, after the snap the focus point seem to skip(abit) away from the original place I focus.
But is ok if VR is off, was that normal.

Can anyone with 18-200VR advise.

Thanks.

It is perfectly normal. That is the way it is supposed to work.

1) The VR will maintain the original point of focus position even there is a slight shift in the camera position, this will cause the VR lens element to be already displaced before exposure.

2) When the shutter button is tripped, the lens will centre the VR lens elements for maximum range of movement before the shutter is opened for exposure.

3) The slight shift in the point of focus that you observe after exposure is the fact that the VR lens element has already moved back to its centre position.

4) With VR switched off, the VR lens element is locked and is not functioning so you will see any before and after focus point shift.

Here is a link from Nikon, explaining about how VR works.

Nikon | Technology | VR (Vibration-Reduction)

Thank v much for your info...

I have a different issue with the same lens. I was able to buy a used one as well of the 1st version of the 18-200mm AF-S VR. However, I have a different set-up. I use it with my J1 + FT-1. It was working ok for the first couple of hours and then it started to display an error when I turned it on.

Now it appears that the Check Lens message disappears when i point the lens downwards to the ground. This happens every time I turn the camera on. Or if I try to turn on the VR. The firmware of the J1 and the FT-1 are all updated. I assume it is a lens problem because I do not have issues when I try on the 18-55mm VR.

I should try to get it to the Nikon Service Center when I find the time. In the meanwhile, has anyone else experienced this? Any input will help. Thanks!

Well I never had the 18-200m that gave me trouble.

1)Probably the problem that you are having now is contact related. You can try cleaning the lens electrical contact with a lint free wiper and alcohol. Used lens electrical contacts can be sometimes coated with grease & dirt.

2) Clean up the electrical contacts on the FT1 too.

3) The other problem which you may want to check is lens mount flexure, do you support the lens with your free hand when you use the heavy 18-200 on the FT1 and J1? The FT1 isn't built to support heavy lenses.

4) If that doesn't solve your problems, then better have NSC check out the lens with your camera body and FT1. Older 18-200mm lenses do have cases of failure with the flex cable inside the lens.

Thanks for the reply. I initially did the first two suggestions even before posting but the problem did not go away. So I went off to the NSC yesterday and had the lens checked. As suspected, the VR was faulty. I also had my J1 and FT-1 with me and had them checked as well.

Is this VR problem common with VR1 18-200m lenses?

Oh and yes, I do hold the lens whenever i use heavy lenses on my J1+FT-1

Thanks so much again

Thanks for the reply. I initially did the first two suggestions even before posting but the problem did not go away. So I went off to the NSC yesterday and had the lens checked. As suspected, the VR was faulty. I also had my J1 and FT-1 with me and had them checked as well.

It is quite common actually, but it is not really the VR that is faulty, but the problem usually is a crushed flex cable.

It is quite common actually, but it is not really the VR that is faulty, but the problem usually is a crushed flex cable.

Nikon did some countermeasure on the VR2. They added tape on the cable to prevent it from coming off.
This means if you send it for repair, the additional tape would be there to prevent it from happening again.

Here's a DIY link:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694049

Wow these are great! Glad to hear repair will have the countermeasure. Amazing DIY thread sir

Wow these are great! Glad to hear repair will have the countermeasure. Amazing DIY thread sir

Or you can send it to bro fatigue to get it done for you. Many of us have been sending stuff to him to repair for years.