Is VR an over-hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AF-S 24-120VR is an improvement over the older AF 24-120D version as mentioned on Thom Hogan's reviews and findings, it's not exactly the sharp that you'll find on the trinities and/or primes but still ok. Once you step up to f/8, it's pretty ok. Check out Thom Hogan's review on it.

mpenza said:
there may be good copies and not so sharp ones....

there are good, sharp professional bodies and lenses; similarly there are consumer, prosumer grade bodies and lenses. And we don even wanna start on the brands available. Inevitably most arguments end with, its the person behind the camera. If so, it truly doesnt matter on the make of the equipment, doesnt it?

IMO I believe it is up to the photographer to be honest and critical of his needs. If you need quiet cameras and shutter, leicas. You need the best image quality, 4X5, 8X10 or even 16X20 large formats. YOU, the photographer, determine what you need and use.

the best equipment cannot and will not make you the best photographer. Good photographers have experiment and made bad choices in their setup but they have moved on with their lessons. They are good because they understood what they need and squeeze every ounce of their need out of their setup.

mpenza said:
there may be good copies and not so sharp ones....

:bigeyes:

just like there are good photographers, and not so good ones? :dunno: :bsmilie:

I've been reading up at dpreview. Seems like there is a batch problem with the 24-120VR. I think I am going to give this lens a try.

bernards said:
I've been reading up at dpreview. Seems like there is a batch problem with the 24-120VR. I think I am going to give this lens a try.

Do that :) I'm happy with mine...

dementate said:
Do that :) I'm happy with mine...

Thanks dementate, it's comforting advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.