Is videocam photography relevant?

Is videocam photography relevant?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by ckiang
Videography is actually photography at 25 or 29.97 frames per second.

Not true. You don't view video frames one by one, you have to view it as a sequence. Whereas for photography, even though you might shoot 8fps, usually only one shot is picked. There are also other differences between photography and videography. For one, static scenes are very boring in a video, but many photos are of static scenes.

But anyway, photography and videography are related. Most digicams can take movies and many videocams can take stills. Similar techniques like composition, colour and lighting apply to both.

Originally posted by reflecx
Not true. You don't view video frames one by one, you have to view it as a sequence. Whereas for photography, even though you might shoot 8fps, usually only one shot is picked. There are also other differences between photography and videography. For one, static scenes are very boring in a video, but many photos are of static scenes.

But anyway, photography and videography are related. Most digicams can take movies and many videocams can take stills. Similar techniques like composition, colour and lighting apply to both.

Videography is 25 or 29.97fps.. and relavent to photography.
Static scenes in a video should look very Good and not boring.. if it does, the video isn't worth watching.. which is why cinematography isn't easy. You have the director, DOP etc to compose a scene with many takes..

I have extracted stills from videos. With full-frame types the results are quite acceptable. Videocams are useful when taking fleeting expressions of children. With 20X optical stabiliser zoom, they should be able to pull in better details than digicams.

Here is a stills extract, does it qualify as photography then?

mengbaby-vi.jpg

Originally posted by tualan

Here is a stills extract, does it qualify as photography then?
mengbaby-vi.jpg

Of course! That's why there's a DOP (director of photography) for every film.. but the only reason people shoot 35mm is for prints, and by that I mean large prints where video cam ain't good at doing.. unless you're shooting 16mm or 35mm motion picture film.

another question:
is a compact flash card a photography item?

I can see two answers:
1. yes if you are using it with your digicam
2. no if you are only using it with your PDA

so? :dunno:

Originally posted by aikidoka25
another question:
is a compact flash card a photography item?

I can see two answers:
1. yes if you are using it with your digicam
2. no if you are only using it with your PDA

so? :dunno:

Compact flash is a storage medium.. it doesn't aid in taking a photo.. juz storing it.. redundent question..

Status
Not open for further replies.