Is this guy for real?

toothie

Jun 23, 2010
Hi All,

Was introduced to this website http://www.kareldonk.com/karel/ by someone in CS forum, stating that the guy created a solid Presidential shot, with simple tools.

Then I started to explore his blog and notice a disturbing trend in his other articles.
1) Dpreview is not as neutral as I thought it would be.
2) Canon is not really improving its sensors and processors.

The guy is using a D40, and claims that his concerns were for Canon better future.

One question to the 50D, 7D, 5D and 1D users,
Are all the gripes that he has for the cameras valid?

This post is not meant to make anyone feel bad about their gears, I just want to find out if this guy is for real.

cheers,

Last edited:
Hi All,

Was introduced to this website http://www.kareldonk.com/karel/ by someone in CS forum, stating that the guy created a solid Presidential shot, with simple tools.

Then I started to explore his blog and notice a disturbing trend in his other articles.
1) Dpreview is not as neutral as I thought it would be.

The guy is using a D40, and claims that his concerns were for Canon better future.

One question to the 50D, 7D, 5D and 1D users,
Are all the gripes that he has for the cameras valid?

This post is not meant to make anyone feel bad about their gears, I just want to find out if this guy is for real.

cheers,

Well, why not? It's still back with the same topic of "It's not the camera, but the photographer" which is way over discussed. He's most probably trying to get attention, "why can't you keep it to yourself?"

(1) & (2) —I don't find that so. Either way, you should not decide on a camera based on just one site. IMO, Ken Rock Well is way more biased, why isn't he mentioned? And how can 5D2 be mentioned as a camera from hell with so many users and positive reviews?

ya la. that ken rock guy always biased towards nikon. and 5Dmk2 was really the best camera for its price tag. now its very well known for its ability to shot full HD and high resolution images. only that the downside of the 5Dmk2 is the AF system a bit sluggish. but overall its a very fantastic camera!

This guy is quick to shoot off his mouth. I'll just take what he says with a pinch of salt. But anyway, he is quite good with his work. So I'll look at his work but not listen to his words. :)

"Before you write in to me mentioning how I bashed the 50mm f/1.2 lens before here on my blog and ask why I keep using it, let me say that, yes, the focusing issues this lens is known for were present, but that at f/5.6 the focusing errors are not very noticeable in the pictures that have them due to the larger depth of field (depending on the picture and subject)."

Canon is the market leader for HD DSLRs and short primes, so give them credit where credit is due. Nikon is great on its own turf.

i don't know, do you think nikon has improved its sensors and processors?

or olympus, or pentax, or sony for that matter?

let me tell you, if all of them dial their marketing budget down, they will all spend more on R&D, and more results that are better for consumers will be seen.

but let's see, marketing earns $$, and companies are about profit. let's be realistic here.

i don't know, do you think nikon has improved its sensors and processors?

or olympus, or pentax, or sony for that matter?

let me tell you, if all of them dial their marketing budget down, they will all spend more on R&D, and more results that are better for consumers will be seen.

but let's see, marketing earns $$, and companies are about profit. let's be realistic here.

Not sure about nikon and the rest of the fields, any similar sites? Googles does not seems to yield similar "hate" sites.:think:

I have to totally agree on you on the marketing budget aspect, which means that only Pentax seems to be doing that, in relatively terms.

cheers

professional change camps... it is their livelihood

this guys was praising 7D
http://canonfieldreviews.com/7d-1-weather-sealing/

until Nikon became his sponsor

http://canonfieldreviews.com/

dont bother about all these news... enjoy photography not the technology !

Wahhh.... people do change, and it is easier to change camps when there is a rich sponsor behind you.

Dun know how did he manage to off-load his gears in one shot... must have quite a lot of BNS posting.:bsmilie:

Canon is the market leader for HD DSLRs and short primes, so give them credit where credit is due. Nikon is great on its own turf.

Hi,

It was never the intend to compare Canon with Nikon, it would be like flogging a dead horse.

I guess every brand has its own set of problems and credits.
I am more interested in how Canon has progress with respect to herself. What disturb me was that, from the author, a Canon user, has shown some proof that things did not progress since D40.

Just want to know if his views are mostly,........ his views only, nothing much.

cheers

just enjoy photography, whichever gear u decided to choose and forget about these neverending news for now bro....

Well, why not? It's still back with the same topic of "It's not the camera, but the photographer" which is way over discussed. He's most probably trying to get attention, "why can't you keep it to yourself?"

(1) & (2) —I don't find that so. Either way, you should not decide on a camera based on just one site. IMO, Ken Rock Well is way more biased, why isn't he mentioned? And how can 5D2 be mentioned as a camera from hell with so many users and positive reviews?

Ken Rock Well, something for me to google.:devil:

Actually my impulsive "i think" purchase are mainly influence by this guy, http://cheesycam.com/ . So there might be people also based their purchase on one site, and I always regard Dpreview as the mecca for people who wants to buy new equipment, and to keep themselves updated on the new developments.

Guess I would still recommend that website to my frens, but will ask them to look around for more reviews, to aid them in the decision making.

cheers,

Ken Rock Well, something for me to google.:devil:

Actually my impulsive "i think" purchase are mainly influence by this guy, http://cheesycam.com/ . So there might be people also based their purchase on one site, and I always regard Dpreview as the mecca for people who wants to buy new equipment, and to keep themselves updated on the new developments.

Guess I would still recommend that website to my frens, but will ask them to look around for more reviews, to aid them in the decision making.

cheers,
this guy commented truthfully. but like all ppl, everyone like to complain. Though i agree Canon AF system really not as good. However, it does take good photo too.

interesting read

especially this : http://www.kareldonk.com/karel/2009/11/08/canon-eos-7d-review-noisier-than-40d/
extremely intriguing
although there's lots of hot air in this post, and that we should read criticisms with a pinch of salt
i believe there is some truth to it

moreover, with him being furious, it just meant that he supports canon, and that believe canon can do much better than what they are doing now
you won't be angry over someone you hardly knew or care about would you?

Last edited:
it is interesting and what Karel points out is quite true from what i observe: that Canon is more concerned in the Megapixel race than anything else. I have no idea why Canon decided to use a 21MP sensor on the 5d2 along with an outdated 9pt cross-type AF system.

I will hold on to my 50D for now but when I am ready to upgrade to FF, I'll see what the 5d3 has to offer then make a judgement on whether or not to jump to the dark side. The only thing holding me back is that nikon glass is generally more expensive than canon's.

interesting read

especially this : http://www.kareldonk.com/karel/2009/11/08/canon-eos-7d-review-noisier-than-40d/
extremely intriguing
although there's lots of hot air in this post, and that we should read criticism with a pinch of salt
i believe there is some truth to it

moreover, with him being furious, it just meant that he supports canon, and that believe canon can do much better than what they are doing now

What make it more interesting is that he uses DPReview data to back his argument. Which means that he did not cook up the data to back him.

Anyway, i think the problem for the noise would only appear if we pixel peep the pictures.
The main concern in the AF. I do understand the need to segregate the market, but to put a 9pt cross-type AF system on a FF camera, that doesnt make sense.

cheers

i've rather limited knowledge on FF cameras

may i ask what is wrong with using a 9-pt cross-type AF on a FF camera?
focus accuracy? focus speed? or the lack of the amount of AF-points?

though i agree that
Anyway, i think the problem for the noise would only appear if we pixel peep the pictures.
i believe that being precision equipments, DSLRs should still provide reasonably good IQ and low noise even at the 100% crop level
and it is state that canon can implement it

what makes it so frustrating is that they've decided to cash on the mega-pixel craze and capitalize on it
instead of introducing their technology and benefit consumers
but like what night86mare have said
Canon is after all a business and there's totally nothing wrong with that, thus frustrating

IIRC 5D Mk 2 only the centre point is cross-type. Thus the complains about the outer AF points being less than usable for mobile situations.

I personally am displeased with Canon's "strategy" to up the MP rating instead of improvement noise control. The 450D went from 12MP to 15MP in 500D, and now 7D and 550D is squashed with 18MP. If you look at dpreview.com's noise picture data, some aspects improved, and some aspect worsened. Overall picture quality does NOT improve purely by increasing pixel count.

I personally am displeased with Canon's "strategy" to up the MP rating instead of improvement noise control. The 450D went from 12MP to 15MP in 500D, and now 7D and 550D is squashed with 18MP. If you look at dpreview.com's noise picture data, some aspects improved, and some aspect worsened. Overall picture quality does NOT improve purely by increasing pixel count.

Do you wanna bet that the 16 MP APS-C sensors in Nikon D7000 and Pentax K-5 will have image quality that rival that of Canon 1D4?