Is this freebie tripod safe?

Petrelli83

Jan 18, 2013
Singapore
Hi everyone,

Am a newbie to DSLRs and just bought myself a D7000. It came with a tripod which, I'm aware, is not exactly the type even an amateur would go with (SL 168 also known as the SL 1200). However, it can be tempting to sink money in and buy everything you may not frequently use. (I know tripods are an absolute necessity for night shots and certain shutter-based effects) I just want something that is functional, safe and won't tip over, crack, bend etc. under normal usage.

I've heard mixed reviews on this tripod. None would say this tripod is very good, but some said its decent and functional. A couple others shared horror stories on how its legs cracked and had the camera tumbling to its end.

Anyone has experience mounting a DSLR (D7000 is around 780g) with this tripod and don't mind sharing your experience?

Likely conditions for usage: mostly for overseas trips but predominantly daytime shooting. Not the type who would carry my tripod around wherever I go. Frequency of usage (10-20% of all shots)

Not really Nikon related, but shouldn't be a problem. Those who managed to break it probably overloaded it.

well... as long as you re careful to put it on level ground you shouldn't have a problem with it. you shouldnt run into this problem, but just be careful not to put too heavy loads on it, the manual should state the load it was designed for.

if you have about $80+ to spare, you can look for a benro A-150 EXU. its very versatile, compact and light. v good as long as you keep to the designed load.

Hi everyone,

Am a newbie to DSLRs and just bought myself a D7000. It came with a tripod which, I'm aware, is not exactly the type even an amateur would go with (SL 168 also known as the SL 1200). However, it can be tempting to sink money in and buy everything you may not frequently use. (I know tripods are an absolute necessity for night shots and certain shutter-based effects) I just want something that is functional, safe and won't tip over, crack, bend etc. under normal usage.

I've heard mixed reviews on this tripod. None would say this tripod is very good, but some said its decent and functional. A couple others shared horror stories on how its legs cracked and had the camera tumbling to its end.

Anyone has experience mounting a DSLR (D7000 is around 780g) with this tripod and don't mind sharing your experience?

Likely conditions for usage: mostly for overseas trips but predominantly daytime shooting. Not the type who would carry my tripod around wherever I go. Frequency of usage (10-20% of all shots)

Freebie tripods are ok for dslr with at most kit zoom or small primes, for static upright landscape shots on flat surfaces with no wind. I hope that satisfy your 10-20% usage. As long as u dun do things to damage ur tripod, it shld b fine...

Alternatively, if after prolong usage, the legs start bending, hard to close, or wobble heavily under light perturbation, then it would b a gd time to upgrade tripod.