Is there much of a difference between peel apart instant film and normal sheet film?

AlmightyTallest

Aug 24, 2013
Singa
Just curious, as peel apart like FP-3000b, FP-100c seem to be just as good as their sheet film equivalents in size (and price if get good deal?) and yet people seem to prefer one over another. Fuji FP's image doesn't have to pass through dyes like original Polaroid, Impossible integral and Instax, taking away muuch of the quality. Fuji FP can also be bleached to get a negative like the discontinued professional Polaroid 665.. So what gives? Cost?

Just wondering as I could adapt my Polaroid 110 conversion to take sheet film. :sweat:

tq,
ivan

Just curious, as peel apart like FP-3000b, FP-100c seem to be just as good as their sheet film equivalents in size (and price if get good deal?) and yet people seem to prefer one over another. Fuji FP's image doesn't have to pass through dyes like original Polaroid, Impossible integral and Instax, taking away muuch of the quality. Fuji FP can also be bleached to get a negative like the discontinued professional Polaroid 665.. So what gives? Cost?

Just wondering as I could adapt my Polaroid 110 conversion to take sheet film. :sweat:

tq,
ivan

It's not the same, FP film has dismal dynamic/tonal range, and hopelessly quick reciprocity failure (ie. useless for long exposures).

I know about reciprocity failure, read about it before but did not know FP films fail quickly. I did a pinhole out of my 110 before I got a lens with FP-100C; completely dark except for some lights and it was ok. 16 minutes.. but I guess by that you meant sheet films are better in that regard.

As for the dismal dynamic, tonal range could you elaborate a little more about that? Because FP-3000b has been discontinued I have been trying to sell off my films to stock up on it and FP-100c but then again, if what you say is true that sheet film is better I might consider diverting funds to try some of it just cut to size and put in an empty pack film pack.

Do you have any film to recommend for a beginner in lf / mf non-instant film, along with possibly links to instructions on how to load and places to process the film easily? I hear Tri-X is still available in 4x5; maybe I could cut that in half, load in in my 110 in the dark and try shooting with it then processing it with an easy to use developer like, perhaps, Rodinal..

Thank you for your reply. Any info is greatly appreciated! :)

As an ardent shooter of both formats I strongly recommend you mod it for 4x5 since you'll have the options of shooting both formats.

I don't know about you but cost of 4x5 slides hurt and most of the time I'll be shooting black and white for sheet film. Added bonus because you can process it yourself and see it afterwards. Slides I usually send to the analog film lab.

But not all shots deserves a slide so for less important shots I'll do FP with a 4x5 polaroid back. (Still shoots fp100c not to be confused with the 4x5 ver of FP)

In any case we all love instants don't we? And FP 100c has a brilliant kack for starting conversations at a table for just for sharing since you can just give it to people instead of bringing it home and scanning it after development.

The pathfinder also allows shooting to be faster compared to doing portraits on a viewcamera and you don't have to bring out lots of other things.

Don't worry bout the learning curve theres a great bunch of lf shooters who'll point you in the right direction should you need to get film/developing help.

Last edited:
You are able to reprint a negative sheet film much more reliably than bleached negative from FP100C. FP3000B cannot be bleached so it makes reproduction impossible. At the same time, bleached FP100C negative does not have the correct colour balance comparing to colour positive and colour negative sheet film.

I will! And there are 4x5 slides?! My whole idea of film and slide photography has just gotten so much sweeter.. As long as it's cheaper than my occasional pack of Impossible film or Polaroid Time Zero per piece, I don't really mind because of the resolution. :bsmilie:

Too bad 4x5 FP is discontinued... Really worry for the future of instant film apart from integral. Have you heard of the New55 project? It's an attempt to reproduce a Polaroid Type 55, 4x5 instant film replacement. Looks promising so far and there was recent progress I think after some absence!

And of course. Who doesn't love instant? :D I was introduced to the format like any American over the age of 40 would tell you; some dude brings one to some event, takes a picture of you and hands it to you on the spot to let you witness the magic of the development. :) For me, that would be a very, very young me in the year 2001...

True also. But 3 minutes seeing nothing is either time to talk or if it's a stranger a bit of awkwardness so I prefer 15 second FP-3000b for starters. Really, really sad it's going away.

As for my specific 110, it's an original and I converted it myself. Should start a thread about it but I removed the rangefinder, essentially, as it's useless without it's original lens and also because it's at the wrong side of the body - the part of the cast metal that has to be sawed off; thus I am guess focusing until I can get my hands on a rangefinder. Shouldn't be much of a problem though, with FP-3000B at f/32. Insane depth of field. :D

That is why I love CS and introduce it to my friends who don't yet know about it it's the community!

You are able to reprint a negative sheet film much more reliably than bleached negative from FP100C. FP3000B cannot be bleached so it makes reproduction impossible. At the same time, bleached FP100C negative does not have the correct colour balance comparing to colour positive and colour negative sheet film.

I did not know FP-3000b cannot be bleached.. And I appreciate the info. But part of shooting Impossible is it's unpredictability early on; incorrect color balance and unpredictability would be a plus for me. :) The best part about film is one can get to choose the type of film to use; if solid results are needed, Tri-X etc for 35mm, FP films, original Polaroid or Instax. But if one want's to get 'creative' and fun... LOMO films, expensive as hell but included just as an example, Impossible, etcetera.

Then again, reproduction these days can be done digitally. You might say 'what's the point?' but if I were to reproduce an instant print, which already has it's mood and all, I would set my scanner or other device to not color correct the image and reproduce it exactly as it is how many times I want.

Choice. Film gives that to us.. Digital, try changing your sensor instead of applying fake filters. :kok:

Thanks for your response! :D I would like to her more people's opinions!

On a side note you can actually scan the leftover neg frm a 3000b but exposure have to adjust when scanning

On a side note you can actually scan the leftover neg frm a 3000b but exposure have to adjust when scanning

So I heard.. Anyway, I shot a bit of FP-3000b yesterday. When I get around to it I will replicate the shots with Tri-X and other b&w films to compare. :)

For 4x5 sheet film, I only shoot Shanghai GP3 100 as it's the most economical, and great mid-tones.
I buy from ebay from this seller (issac chen), works out to about $1+ per sheet.

For 4x5 sheet film, I only shoot Shanghai GP3 100 as it's the most economical, and great mid-tones.
I buy from ebay from this seller (issac chen), works out to about $1+ per sheet.

SGD 1 per sheet including shipping? Price sounds pretty appealing to me.. Do you do development yourself or send it off? As for film holders any idea where to get or maybe instructions somewhere to make a simple, light-tight one?

Forgive me for asking a bit but I am pretty interested in trying. :) should i start new threads for new questions even if they're related?

Oh yes, please do bear in mind I'm still studying and thus am operating with, essentially, a zero-dollar budget. Not particularly rich or poor but so long it's not in the hundreds of dollars and costs can be split over some time I will be able to piece together my gear or build them myself - like my converted Polaroid 110, my first non-integral Polaroid I am currently shooting pack film with. :bsmilie:

Oh yes, please do bear in mind I'm still studying and thus am operating with, essentially, a zero-dollar budget. Not particularly rich or poor but so long it's not in the hundreds of dollars and costs can be split over some time I will be able to piece together my gear or build them myself - like my converted Polaroid 110, my first non-integral Polaroid I am currently shooting pack film with. :bsmilie:

Then you might consider starting with some plywood, a hacksaw and a solid workbench. :)
It will be the toughest wall to climb. But for most who are going nut case on budget or getting some niche project idea, it is the most rewarding.;)