is there anything wrong with tokina?

charliechaps

Sep 9, 2010
hi i've been doing lots of research on macro lenses tamron 90 and tokina 100.
obviously the tamron has been the lens of choice for many ppl and not many use the tokina. wondering if there's a reason why as according to tests on lenstip.com the tokina performs better? tokina is also cheaper by a bit depending on where you get it.
i tried to source for these lenses but i was only able to get my hands on the tamron90. loved the quality of the tamron.
as i mentioned, no one seems to use the tokina so i wasn't able to try it out. however, i'm keen to try out the tokina to see if there's a difference.
anyone has experience with the tokina?

Nothing is wrong. I guess its almost the same case whereby people prefer the tamron 17-50 f2.8 over the sigma 18-50 f2.8 or the tokina 16-50 f2.8.

AFAIK the tokina is only a 1:2 magnification while the Tamron is 1:1.

I tried both at sim lim. Tokina actually have a very solid body, heavier than tamron. Was quoted a higher price than tamron, thats why i chose tamron. Maybe u can go and search at sim lim.

if i dont remember wrongly tokina is also 1:1

yea from what i read both are 1:1 lenses at ~.3m

I tried both at sim lim. Tokina actually have a very solid body, heavier than tamron. Was quoted a higher price than tamron, thats why i chose tamron. Maybe u can go and search at sim lim.

oh according to the prices quoted on amazon tokina is cheaper. but looking at the price guides seems tamron might be $20 cheaper. yea i prob can find at ms colour, but still its an extremely uncommon lens.

Nothing is wrong. I guess its almost the same case whereby people prefer the tamron 17-50 f2.8 over the sigma 18-50 f2.8 or the tokina 16-50 f2.8.
so its more a branding thing than anything else?

so its more a branding thing than anything else?

Branding of course plays a part. But personally i always felt tokina lenses are better built. and of course there is the constant rumor that some nokia lenses are built by tokina or have the same glass and design!

Just to reduce your fears, tokina 100mm macro is used by a photographer journalist called Matty Graham in the latest issue of DigitalSLR photography december UK edition, where he showed how to achieve good lighting using DIY lights in macro at home.

You can surely find more samples of tamron and tokina pics. both are amazing lenses at half the price of nikon or canon.

yea i prob should check up on that edition. haven't been to the bookstores lately.
i currently have tamron lenses so i was hoping to try other brands, esp after reading that the tokina has better resolution when the aperture is wide open. then again, i use the lens mainly for product photography so the extra 10mm might be a problem when taking necklaces and such. camera has to be even further away than w a tamron

and of course there is the constant rumor that some nokia lenses are built by tokina or have the same glass and design!

1. That's not necessarily a good thing...
2. Definitely NOT the same design.
3. Most Nokia lenses are Carl Zeiss branded, therefore made by Cosina.

I know that tamron 90mm is a di lens for full frame . Not sure about tokina , but now suspect they don't make new full frame lens anymore ?