Is there any problem buying a 6+ yr old Canon 24-70mm

panozone

Apr 30, 2010
Central
Hi, is there any problem buying a 6+ yr old lens 24-70mm f/2.8L USM (US0904) lens. I'm still new and I don't know the history behind this lens besides its manufacturing inconsistencies. If the lens is in excellent condition but has been heavily used over the past 6 years, is there anything I should be worried about?

I understand that there is no mk II version of lens.

Thank you.

I understand that there is no mk II version of lens.

A lot of people are saying a Mark II release is imminent. IS is widely expected on the new version. My personal wish is that it will be internal focusing and internal zooming. :think:

A lot of people are saying a Mark II release is imminent. IS is widely expected on the new version. My personal wish is that it will be internal focusing and internal zooming. :think:

Yes, i've read about these rumours which has been going on for years. I don't know what to believe and i'm very hesitant on buying a brand new current 24-70mm. The longer i delay my purchase, the more moments i fail to capture. :confused:

There is nothing wrong with a 6 yr old lens if there is nothing wrong with it. There is also an even older 28-70 f2.9 if you can find one.

My only problem with this lens is the barrel distortion is quite bad on the wide end. But that is not a big deal if you are not too particular. otherwise it is a very versatile lens.

IS would be welcomed on MkII for video. Otherwise I hope they fixed the barrel distortion and reduce the weight by 200g.

Last edited:
Yes, i've read about these rumours which has been going on for years. I don't know what to believe and i'm very hesitant on buying a brand new current 24-70mm. The longer i delay my purchase, the more moments i fail to capture. :confused:

Canon's supposed to make some new product announcements next month. Hope you can at least wait until then.

I hope they ... reduce the weight by 200g.

That would mean no all-metal construction, unless they can somehow make the optics out of plastic instead of glass :bsmilie:

Lenses are mechanical systems like cars -- the higher the mileage, the greater the likelihood of failure.

My 24-105/4L had a diaphragm failure after 3-4 years of light to moderate use. Got it replaced at CSC for $250 or so.

It's hard to tell the mechanical condition of any lens, although the external condition would give you a good sense of how heavily the lens has been used.

Personally, I'd buy a 6-yr old lens if it looks well taken care of, everything works fine, the zoom isn't loose (which is a tell-tale sign of usage) and of course the price is attractive -- the last factor is important because if you save a few hundred bucks versus buying the lens new, that's a calculated risk in that the savings can be used to fix the lens if anything happens.

Have fun shopping!

Lenses are mechanical systems like cars -- the higher the mileage, the greater the likelihood of failure.

My 24-105/4L had a diaphragm failure after 3-4 years of light to moderate use. Got it replaced at CSC for $250 or so.

It's hard to tell the mechanical condition of any lens, although the external condition would give you a good sense of how heavily the lens has been used.

Personally, I'd buy a 6-yr old lens if it looks well taken care of, everything works fine, the zoom isn't loose (which is a tell-tale sign of usage) and of course the price is attractive -- the last factor is important because if you save a few hundred bucks versus buying the lens new, that's a calculated risk in that the savings can be used to fix the lens if anything happens.

Have fun shopping!

Very well said! :thumbsup:

Have fun shopping!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rightly said, it's a mechanical/electrical system and aging will be evident unless serviced regularly and depending upon usage.

Unless there is a significant discount to compensate for your risk, it's not really worth. Significant discount is subjective, depends upon many factors.. for this case to me it will be 40% of current market price... I will not pay more than 40% of the current market price... however the case will be different for rare lenses. the case will be different for a 2 years old lens or Sigma lenses or a PnS camera body or an obsolete item!!

Unless there is a significant discount to compensate for your risk, it's not really worth. Significant discount is subjective, depends upon many factors.. for this case to me it will be 40% of current market price... I will not pay more than 40% of the current market price...

so you're expecting to pay only ~$850 for a used 24-70L?

like that, do you think i can buy a 80-200L for $5?

Probably yes after 20 years when there is no body supporting the lens!!
Probably yes if tomorrow there is one magic lens that is 100gm in weight, covers 10mm - 400mm, f/2.8 with IS at say $200... Don't lough ;) A notebook was USD 3500 just few years back and now can buy a decent notebook at 668... I said notebook and I am well aware between notebook and netbook.

Probably yes after 20 years when there is no body supporting the lens!!
Probably yes if tomorrow there is one magic lens that is 100gm in weight, covers 10mm - 400mm, f/2.8 with IS at say $200... Don't lough ;) A notebook was USD 3500 just few years back and now can buy a decent notebook at 668... I said notebook and I am well aware between notebook and netbook.

Why stop at f/2.8? Lucky number? :bsmilie: I say go to f/1.0.

if u can find one seller doing jus tat.. By all means go ahead..
I am another person who dnt like to pay what is more than i think is reasonable..

It is very unlikely ppl will sell their 24-70 for 840 ish $.
I have seen ppl they want to sell their 2 year old 24-70L for 1800~1900~. But when comes to buying they can bid 500mm f/4 for 2K.

ya, those resell value on 24-70 is expensive for old lens.. but hey you still can save 400 or more dollar.. if not urgent better wait for 24-70 MK 2 or new 24-70 MK1

ya, those resell value on 24-70 is expensive for old lens.. but hey you still can save 400 or more dollar.. if not urgent better wait for 24-70 MK 2 or new 24-70 MK1

I think current 24-70L is already very sharp, not sure what else we are looking into improvement (IS, already dam heavy with IS sure you need tripod/monopod).?
If you need it buy it, unless you have inside information that 24-70LII is coming in next 6 months or so.

Dont warry!6 year is normal! My Olympus kit lens already 5years,still very good. But ofcos not every on cam use it .my firend buy 2nd hand ef100mm f2.8macro non usm viision on he 1d mark2,I think the lens was 15years old,still very good working..24-70 was king of the lens,I don't think so easy to coming problem.10years will be still in good working condition

Have fun shopping!

I'm using a EF 35-80mm lens that was a kit lens in the 90s for film SLR for Canon 500. Still working after almost 2 decades. ;p

It is very unlikely ppl will sell their 24-70 for 840 ish $.
I have seen ppl they want to sell their 2 year old 24-70L for 1800~1900~. But when comes to buying they can bid 500mm f/4 for 2K.

haha. yeah. i've seen someone trying to sell for 2000! somewhere quoted me 1931 BRAND NEW.