Is there a Fast <F2 lens to capture kids running around?

Mercy77

Jan 14, 2011
Is there a Fast <F2.0 lens to capture kids (half to full body) running around and nice bokeh?

Currently have a crop body and 50mm F1.8 II

what focal length are you looking at?
24mm 1.4L
30mm 1.4 (Sigma)
35mm 1.4L
50mm 1.2L
50mm 1.4 (Sigma)
85mm 1.8

Not so fast focusing, but faster than 50mm f1.8
50mm f1.4

Last edited:
Am flexible. 30-135mm?

I guess if I work with lower focal length the AF needs not to be faster compared to a longer focal length?

Actually should be the other way round. Longer focal length the AF need not be that fast?

I don't think there is any zoom lens <F2.0?

with kids running around erratically you may not get a clear shoot shooting at below f/2.
You run into focus problems with such thin DOF and will probably need a lens equipped with USM that is fast and accurate enough to get the shot you want.

Depending on how you want to frame your kid, hopefullly you're using the xxD or 7D(since you mentioned crop body) such that the peripheral AF points are crosstype sensors. If you're using xxxD series you most probably will encounter focusing issues on the peripheral AF points.

I'd recommend you to stop down to f/2.8 for these kinda shots though...more % keepers IMO.

To answer your question, I'd say 85mm f1.8 or 135mm f2

The older 135 mm f2 works fine and is pretty reasonable. You will have to stop down to f2.8 to 3.5. With the crop factor, it's prob great for half body but a little anticipation is required in terms of the focusing point.

Last edited:
the F/2 zoom on 2x crop factor will give you approx. equivalent DOF as F/4 on fullframe given the same FOV.

Back to square one :D

I think he is more concerned with lens speed than DOF. In fact, a small sensor body will probably suit him better since he gets the speed without worrying about thin DOF.

Use a 60D so have 9 cross points.

Wanted the thin DOF for the bokeh but realize my 50mm F1.8 II is too slow in focus speed to keep up. My keeper rate was probably like 30%. So I'm wondering if there is any lens that can keep up and yet have <F2.0.

If I use F2.8, I might as well go for 70-200mm F2.8 II. Which probably up my keep rate to 80-90%?

Anyone got better keeper rates for <F2.0 lens?

I think the question is not whether it is a F2 or smaller aperture, but rather it is a question of how fast the lens system focuses that will determine your keeper rate.

Canon came out with a book on their EF lens system, where they have described and compared the different lenses in terms of angle, weight, focusing speed, min focusing distance, etc. I suggest you get a copy and read it.

To answer your question, the key criteria for the lens to capture kids in action would be:
a) fast focusing speed
b) high fps
c) good timing and technique

It does not matter even if you use a f4 lens but it focuses fast enough so that you can get a high capture rate. In my experience, all the USM lenses focus extremely fast, some faster than others. I got best results with the 85f1.8, 50f1.4, 28f1.8. Even the 17-40f4 and the &#23567;&#23567;&#30333;70-200f4 IS both focus with lightning speed, so the capture rate is pretty high. The 135L, 35L, should also be very good with different perspectives, either from a distance or up close.

Your 60D has a high fps, so the rest is up to you. Just use the servo focusing and continuous shooting and shoot bursts. Or wait for exactly the right time, and shoot a couple of shoots in sequence. For kids, its also best to get down to their level and shoot, not from the "adult" perspective, which is quite boring.

Happy shooting.

why not 85mm f/1.8 USM ? one of the fastest lens I've used, other than that will be the 135 f/2.0

My favorite is shooting children, especially my grandson, and I use 5D and manual focus lenses. Don't understand what's your fuss.

technically speaking, my feel...i think any lens also can(of course f<2.8 if can afford better), just set Tv 1/100 at least lah, compromise on high iso up till 3200, noise can be reduced PP, better than blur pics...avoid situation of shooting in low or almost no light...dats why i feel any lens also can hahaha, my view only....

I think I got my answer.

Best lens <F2.0 for shooting kids running around is probably 85mm F1.8 at the present moment.

Other than the lens, Technique and anticipation are big points in increasing % keepers.

Thanks all!

Actually should be the other way round. Longer focal length the AF need not be that fast?

I don't think there is any zoom lens <F2.0?

False....there's 200mm F2 or the old F1.8.

For long focal length say 300mm and above, having <F2 would be making it huge and heavy and needless to say, expensive. Just take a look at the size of telephoto lens at F2.8 to see the size, so imagine a <F2 lens how large would the lens have to be.