Is the GX-1 = G3 without EVF?

pluginbaby

Aug 8, 2010
I'm looking at purchasing 1 of these 2 m4/3 camera just for casual snapping during this festive season and was initially dead-set on getting the GX-1 when it does launch here in Singapore.

However, i've had the pleasure of using the GH-2 just a while ago and would really love having the option of shooting either via the LCD screen or the EVF. I understand that Panasonic has also launched a new EVF, the LVF2 for use with the GX-1 but that would easily run me another SGD$300 just for this bit of kit.

So my question is, is the GX-1 just a G3 without an EVF?

These are some points of difference i noticed between the G3 and the GX-1:

GX-1:
Physically smaller (Without the EVF)
Has a marginally faster AF (0.09s), although it does depend on the attached lens
Comes in black and silver
2 extra function buttons in the menu interface
Has a newer menu interface

To the best of my knowledge, both the G3 and GX-1:
Has the same # of pixel resolution
Same venus processing engine

So the main difference between both is really size and EVF.

Any thoughts?

I'm looking at purchasing 1 of these 2 m4/3 camera just for casual snapping during this festive season and was initially dead-set on getting the GX-1 when it does launch here in Singapore.

However, i've had the pleasure of using the GH-2 just a while ago and would really love having the option of shooting either via the LCD screen or the EVF. I understand that Panasonic has also launched a new EVF, the LVF2 for use with the GX-1 but that would easily run me another SGD$300 just for this bit of kit.

GX-1:
Has a marginally faster AF (0.09s), although it does depend on the attached lens

Any thoughts?
That pretty much sums it up. The only difference might be the GX-1 has a level meter while the G3 has an adjustable screen.

That pretty much sums it up. The only difference might be the GX-1 has a level meter while the G3 has an adjustable screen.

Of yeah, almost forgot about the cool level meter in the GX-1. I'm really hoping the menu interface from the GX-1 does get ported over to the G3 in an upcoming firmware update.

IMHO, it basically boils down to the following :

1. Styling - 'RF/PnS like' or SLR like
2. Swivel LCD
3. Built in EVF - how often you use it

pinholecam said:

2. Swivel LCD

Build quality. G3 is metal frame covered in plastic. GX1 is metal exterior.

I think the price of the GX1 is going to be more expensive compared to the G3 and it will be strange considering that the GX1 will have fewer features.

you can find GX1 price on panasonic.com.sg already
body only 899
twin kit lens 1299

Last edited:
I bought g3 because of the articulating or swivel LCD screen. It is very useful for odd angle be it high or low. Also can save on evf

I bought g3 because of the articulating or swivel LCD screen. It is very useful for odd angle be it high or low. Also can save on evf

Think i might just go with the G3 as well. You must have done some research on prices before committing yes?

Care to share? Feel free to PM me if inconvenient to post prices openly.

same... also because the size is similar to GX1, only less the EVF... bonus EVF so, why not? heh heh

My research based on prices, features n image quality.

I didn't bought from cheapest place. I took easy way by going to Harvey. $999

My research based on prices, features n image quality.

I didn't bought from cheapest place. I took easy way by going to Harvey. $999

Thanks! So they shaved a hundred dollars off the listed price yes? Sounds like a good enough deal for me! :)

Thanks! So they shaved a hundred dollars off the listed price yes? Sounds like a good enough deal for me! :)

Not sure was it because I'm a repeat customer hence get the discount.

2. Swivel LCD

Kinda agree w/ these. I used to love my GF1 quite a bit. But after I got used to G3, I just can't see myself going back to another GF series camera, and GX1 included. Don't think I'd part w/ the built-in EVF(which I use far more often than the LCD) and swivel LCD (very useful when needed)...

As to image quality and focusing speed between a G3 and GX1, the differences are probably purely numbers. You won't see any obvious difference in actual use.

GX-1:

Any thoughts?

The Venus processing engine is different. For the GX1 this is customized, so colour rendition and NR will be tweaked for the GX1, as well as to achieve the faster focusing speed.

Panasonic Singapore replied on Facebook and there are indeed some differences in the processing engine like you've mentioned.

"there are some improvements from G3 for the GX1, such as NR, colour reproduction, image quality, as well as the focusing speed."

Although, real world differences (if any), remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double posting but i thought i'll add another interesting (i hope) point about these 2 cameras, primarily due to differences in form factor.

I'm an aspiring street photographer and as i delve deeper into this area of photography, it seems to me many many other street photographers seem to suggest that subjects are more intimated (whether subconsciously or otherwise) with a DSLR looking camera being shoved in their faces on the street than they would be if, for example, a street photographer touting a Leica walks up to them for the same shot.

So i guess the type of photography being pursued comes into play as well, ESP when choosing a camera body. Who would have thought this much soft-science goes into photography? Subconscious can be a pain eh?

Looks like I'll be waiting out the impending arrival of the GX-1 then, Panasonic Singapore claims it will definitely arrive before Christmas, i.e. either this week or the next.

Sorry for the double posting but i thought i'll add another interesting (i hope) point about these 2 cameras, primarily due to differences in form factor.

I'm an aspiring street photographer and as i delve deeper into this area of photography, it seems to me many many other street photographers seem to suggest that subjects are more intimated (whether subconsciously or otherwise) with a DSLR looking camera being shoved in their faces on the street than they would be if, for example, a street photographer touting a Leica walks up to them for the same shot.

So i guess the type of photography being pursued comes into play as well, ESP when choosing a camera body. Who would have thought this much soft-science goes into photography? Subconscious can be a pain eh?

Looks like I'll be waiting out the impending arrival of the GX-1 then, Panasonic Singapore claims it will definitely arrive before Christmas, i.e. either this week or the next.

IMHO, I find the camera size argument to be only half true (and used to justify one camera over another).
Very often its the photographer who is self conscious rather than the subject.
There are many street/candid shots, taken with all sorts of cameras. (MF- TLF; 6x7; FF; APS-C; Iphone; etc)
I find the number of 'tricks' the candid photographer has in his sleeve is more important than the size of the camera.
Things like "pre-focus"; "zone focus"; "wide angle hip/shoulder shots"; "pretend to be shooting something else"; cap in a posion for awhile; etc

I've played around with a couple of cameras (TLF; RF; SLR; m4/3; APS-C) and not found the effect (on people) of different camera sizes to be significant.
Some have more of a placebo effect (on photographer) than others (eg. TLR; tilt screen G3), where eye contact is avoided or direction of focus is unclear,
but generally if you are slow or appear obvious to be focusing on the subject, the subject is no fool and will know you have them in your sights.

My few cents

IMHO, I find the camera size argument to be only half true (and used to justify one camera over another).
Very often its the photographer who is self conscious rather than the subject.
There are many street/candid shots, taken with all sorts of cameras. (MF- TLF; 6x7; FF; APS-C; Iphone; etc)
I find the number of 'tricks' the candid photographer has in his sleeve is more important than the size of the camera.
Things like "pre-focus"; "zone focus"; "wide angle hip/shoulder shots"; "pretend to be shooting something else"; cap in a posion for awhile; etc

I've played around with a couple of cameras (TLF; RF; SLR; m4/3; APS-C) and not found the effect (on people) of different camera sizes to be significant.
Some have more of a placebo effect (on photographer) than others (eg. TLR; tilt screen G3), where eye contact is avoided or direction of focus is unclear,
but generally if you are slow or appear obvious to be focusing on the subject, the subject is no fool and will know you have them in your sights.

My few cents

That's why I think the EP3 is the best if one wants to be discreet, can pretend to touch the LCD and image will be recorded.

That's why I think the EP3 is the best if one wants to be discreet, can pretend to touch the LCD and image will be recorded.

The new range of Panasonic cameras have the exact same function as well. VF shooting a dead giveaway then huh?