Is the battery grip really important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekai

May 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Is the battery grip really important or very useful?

care to share with me how helpful it is?

YES!!!

It's a must for me!!! :bsmilie:

But I not referring to those which only holds extra batteries but those with vertical shutter release, etc.

Convenient to change settings when taking photos in vertical position. No need to turn here n there.

Convenient to press the vertical shutter release button. No need to place your hand/arm in an awkward position.

The extra batteries will come in handy, especially if you are shooting for a long time and high frequency of film rolls expenditure. :)

Originally posted by AdamGoi
For people with large hands too! ;)

Yeah man. And for fat people like me. Coz using the vertical grip makes things less clumsy. ;p

Pardon me,

but if one full charge battery can shoot 500 shots, if you consider shooting all in Raw format, a 1GB storage will take only 180 pics for a 6MP camera.

If you have more money, better get more storage first.

Originally posted by Shib
Pardon me,

but if one full charge battery can shoot 500 shots, if you consider shooting all in Raw format, a 1GB storage will take only 180 pics for a 6MP camera.

If you have more money, better get more storage first.

nah.... depends on your shooting style. For me, i feel lost without the battery grip. feels more ergonomic

Yes, it is important in my case. Other than helping provide additional power for shoots, it can also help balance out the camera better. In some cases, it may also be more ergonmic.

so zekai, eyeing which eos body? ;)

For me the grip is good. As mentioned by those above, for ppl with bigger hands to hold it firm + shutter release in vertical position and extra batteries power.

Cheers:D

Originally posted by zekai
Is the battery grip really important or very useful?

care to share with me how helpful it is?

get it if...
1. more than half of your compositions are in portrait
2. you got some metal mount lens that are quite or a little heavy so need some counterweight balancing
3. some grips can accomodate 4 AA batteries which is a + point where u dont have to go ard searching for dat C123A, 2CR5 batt etc
4. your camera do not have enough surface area for a firm hold

well there could still be other advantages as well though do expect certain - points for using grips too

just my 2cts worth
:D

In my case, it is the extra power, as I don't turn off the camera when I am out shooting...

The vertical shutter button is a hardly use for me, as need to shift my holding position, and not as fast as turning the camera...

Originally posted by cheechee
so zekai, eyeing which eos body? ;)

For me the grip is good. As mentioned by those above, for ppl with bigger hands to hold it firm + shutter release in vertical position and extra batteries power.

Cheers:D

maybe a eos30 or 300v(haha)
but only after my exam on 4th june.
maybe will ask you for more advise

one more thing to add... I prevents camera shake significantly in potrait mode.

Originally posted by nivlekx
one more thing to add... I prevents camera shake significantly in potrait mode.

N it looks more Pro and beautiful with a grip attached

yah i thought it look very pro but really bacame very curious when most people are selling their cam with the batt grip.

does the weight increase a lot?

The BP300 for the eos30 is quite light on its own, but with 4AA inside it does feels more 'solid', if you prefer the feel. I just like the way it allows me to really grip the whole body fully.

At first I thought to get the grip, but got put off by price of $280. Eh, that's a fortunate thing too. I found myself quite comfortable without the grip. May not important for me, because I don't have problem of switching battery. Furthermore, it may add weight to your hands.

Originally posted by i_r_i_a
At first I thought to get the grip, but got put off by price of $280. Eh, that's a fortunate thing too. I found myself quite comfortable without the grip. May not important for me, because I don't have problem of switching battery. Furthermore, it may add weight to your hands.

ya....expensive piece of grip....it took me a year to decide to get a battery grip for my 10D in the end....and i missed a 2nd hand one for $180!!!

in the end paid $270 for a new one.....

if u do shoot a lot hand held in protrait mode with heavy setup, very soon u will want to get a grip

Status
Not open for further replies.