Is the aperture ring inside the camera or lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
Is the blade thing inside the lens or in the camera?
:confused:

Yeah, observing from the camera's DPOF preview alse made me think of that.
Now when people shoot macro with reverse ring, how do they control this
ring when there is no electrical connector on the front of the lens?

dRebelXT said:
Yeah, observing from the camera's DPOF preview alse made me think of that.

AS far as I know, I doubt that can be done with the newer lens. You would be able to do that with the older lens with the apeture ring outside.

And also....for the Nikon lens anyway...there are no electrical connector that power the adjustment of the apeture on the lens. It is still old fashion mechanical. The camera body still uses a metal level (that works with the camera's electronic "brain") that when you put a lens to the body, will line itself up with that spring loaded level found on the lens' rear part. Depending on your aperture setting, this level is activated to move the apeture blades to the appropriate f-stops.

sammy888 said:
AS far as I know, I doubt that can be done with the newer lens. You would be able to do that with the older lens with the apeture ring outside.

And also....for the Nikon lens anyway...there are no electrical connector that power the adjustment of the apeture on the lens. It is still old fashion mechanical. The camera body still uses a metal level (that works with the camera's electronic "brain") that when you put a lens to the body, will line itself up with that spring loaded level found on the lens' rear part. Depending on your aperture setting, this level is activated to move the apeture blades to the appropriate f-stops.
I see, thank you.

dRebelXT said:

Some people resort to tricks like unmounting lenses while the aperture is closed. I can't comment if this is advisable or not. I've also seen one article on the web where someone made an extension cable to connect the camera to the lens.

Another way is to get another lens for this purpose. Older manual focus lenses can be dirt cheap. Lens mounts such as Minolta SR (MC, MD) and (I think) Pentax K automatically close the aperture when the lens is removed from the body. Many M42 lenses have a switch that keeps the aperture closed, too. Or use lenses that don't have automatic apertures in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.