Is she a good ambassador?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are too hard on her. Out of jealousy?

If you think about it, I don't think her English is to be laughed at. Lest we forget, the average Singaporean on the street speaks like her. So if anyone takes issue with her poor command of English, might I say that implies many Singaporeans actually don't speak good English. Which is true!

If you listen to impromptu interviews with the typical Singaporean on the street, you will know they speak no different from Ris, or even worse. And some of them are supposedly from good schools or educated adults. Don't ask me how these people got A's or even pass their English exams.

I've encountered many foreigners whose first language is not English and they can speak much better than many well-educated Singaporeans, in terms of diction, flow of language and expression of thoughts. The typical Singaporean when speaking, will often mispronounce words, construct sentences with grammatical errors, and sound jerky when they express their thoughts, most likely because they are trying hard to form the sentences in their heads before speaking out. So when we laugh at Ris, we are actually laughing at ourselves.

Why is she still around? I think it's nothing more than the mass media (advertising especially) that want to capitalize on the sensational standing that she has created. In the entertainment industry, no one cares about your past records or how controversial you are. As long as it's not a big criminal record. Think Fann Wong's husband who committed a serious traffic offence, infamous William Hung of "She Bangs" who can't sing to save his life, and Susan Boyle who everyone thought initially looked old, horrible and could not sing.
You get the picture. These are the people who will bring in the $$$. You think FHM did a recent shoot for her if they had thought the magazine would not sell???

Let's face it. She doesn't look that bad by the typical female Singaporean standards. And if you read enough of the local forums, there are "chi-ko-pek" guys who will wish they could bed her. Minus the way she talks (which as I've said is typically Singaporean) and her past criminal records, if she had been portrayed as a law student or accountant, say, I think there would have been many more guys who would go ga-ga over her.

So... will everyone give her a break? She deserves a chance. Welcome to the world of entertainment!

Singaporean's pronunciation is pathetic at times... and when you pronounce it correctly, they say you're wrong...

Most frequently used example:

Eat, in Chinese is CHI, with the H sound, and not CI (as most of us say it)
Water, SHUI not SUI...
Sometimes I wonder where had all the H sounds went

Singaporean's pronunciation is pathetic at times... and when you pronounce it correctly, they say you're wrong...

Most frequently used example:

Eat, in Chinese is CHI, with the H sound, and not CI (as most of us say it)
Water, SHUI not SUI...
Sometimes I wonder where had all the H sounds went

Some SEAsians of certain ethnic descent have problems with 'R', 'H' and some other letters/sounds as well.

'THE' becomes 'duh'.

'TEETH' becomes 'teef'.

'CATHAY' becomes 'Kaa-tay'.

'ORCHIRD' becomes 'orr-chad/chard'.

'LORRY' becomes 'lolli'.

'FILM' becomes 'fee-leem'.

'Lettuce' becomes 'laa-tuce'.

And it transfers over to other languages as well when an Oriental speaks Malay, for example.

'Longtong' becomes 'lone-tung'.

'Nasi Lemak' becomes 'naa-see lo-mak'.

'Mee Rebus' becomes 'mee loh-buus'.

Interestingly, in photography forums, 'Shutter' becomes 'shar-tle'. So 'T' also have ploblam. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
whether she is a good ambassador can only be answered by espire.

i am trying to see the link between getting a virgin to promote usage of condoms.

i am also curious how she teaches them how to use condoms correctly. "She spends three days a week counselling patients and teaching them how to use condoms correctly."

now this is what i call a classy ad on using a condom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJyI1TG7iw

I think people are too hard on her. Out of jealousy?

If you think about it, I don't think her English is to be laughed at. Lest we forget, the average Singaporean on the street speaks like her. So if anyone takes issue with her poor command of English, might I say that implies many Singaporeans actually don't speak good English. Which is true!

If you listen to impromptu interviews with the typical Singaporean on the street, you will know they speak no different from Ris, or even worse. And some of them are supposedly from good schools or educated adults. Don't ask me how these people got A's or even pass their English exams.

I've encountered many foreigners whose first language is not English and they can speak much better than many well-educated Singaporeans, in terms of diction, flow of language and expression of thoughts. The typical Singaporean when speaking, will often mispronounce words, construct sentences with grammatical errors, and sound jerky when they express their thoughts, most likely because they are trying hard to form the sentences in their heads before speaking out. So when we laugh at Ris, we are actually laughing at ourselves.

Why is she still around? I think it's nothing more than the mass media (advertising especially) that want to capitalize on the sensational standing that she has created. In the entertainment industry, no one cares about your past records or how controversial you are. As long as it's not a big criminal record. Think Fann Wong's husband who committed a serious traffic offence, infamous William Hung of "She Bangs" who can't sing to save his life, and Susan Boyle who everyone thought initially looked old, horrible and could not sing.
You get the picture. These are the people who will bring in the $$$. You think FHM did a recent shoot for her if they had thought the magazine would not sell???

Let's face it. She doesn't look that bad by the typical female Singaporean standards. And if you read enough of the local forums, there are "chi-ko-pek" guys who will wish they could bed her. Minus the way she talks (which as I've said is typically Singaporean) and her past criminal records, if she had been portrayed as a law student or accountant, say, I think there would have been many more guys who would go ga-ga over her.

So... will everyone give her a break? She deserves a chance. Welcome to the world of entertainment!

Ris Low is a true singapore role model, of a person with failings who is unafraid to try to make the best out of the lemons she has been given.

She has many imperfections by society's standards but she doesn't let society's standards cower her.

In other countries, I meet alot of people who don't feel a need to conform their english to a certain style, in fact they end up conforming the english language to their preferences (e.g. african-american rap slang, l33t speak, etc)

The fact that she's unabashed about it is good, rather than us always saying how horrible our english is. KNNCCB!!! Go Ris Low and make the most of your 15 minutes of fame!

How about a MTV featuring Ris Low in real person? ;)

Ris Low is a true singapore role model, of a person with failings who is unafraid to try to make the best out of the lemons she has been given.

She has many imperfections by society's standards but she doesn't let society's standards cower her.

In other countries, I meet alot of people who don't feel a need to conform their english to a certain style, in fact they end up conforming the english language to their preferences (e.g. african-american rap slang, l33t speak, etc)

The fact that she's unabashed about it is good, rather than us always saying how horrible our english is. KNNCCB!!! Go Ris Low and make the most of your 15 minutes of fame!

Well, Espire aspires to be the No 1 sooner or later. Durex has been up there. Durex doesn't need to do any promotion.

Durex used to be Made in England, but we call it French cap. However, the French calls it the English cap.:bsmilie:

Wonder where Espire is made. :think:

Promoter: This is very good. Try it. Guaranteed good.

Potential customer: Have you tried it? :devil:

A few things come to mind.

2. Having a supposed virgin as a spokesperson for a condom company is like getting a teetotaller to be the spokesman for a beer company.

If she's a virgin then I'm a pink haired purple skinned leprechaun from Zimbabwe who only speaks Mongolian... :devil:

Hahahaha I was actually trying to imagine how that (a pink haired purple skinned leprechaun from Zimbabwe who only speaks Mongolian) would look like...

my question is how did she become miss singapore in the first place...
shes not even hot..

If she's a virgin then I'm a pink haired purple skinned leprechaun from Zimbabwe who only speaks Mongolian... :devil:

Start searching all past threads of "Expose Yourself" for User name Ian....

Wow! Espire is BOOMZ!;p

Hahahaha I was actually trying to imagine how that (a pink haired purple skinned leprechaun from Zimbabwe who only speaks Mongolian) would look like...

please show us a self portrait :bsmilie:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pofpa7CZ-Vg/SLXsVSB5WgI/AAAAAAAACVw/QcgfVBeKxHs/s1600-h/355c_1.jpg <- copyright by blog owner

Start searching all past threads of "Expose Yourself" for User name Ian....

Found anything .. guess not haha

This is the best line in the news. :bsmilie:

I wonder how she did that. I remember when I was young, I got a durex condom from a magazine. My friend told me that Durex condom won't break. So we did this "test" and filled the condom with water and then threw it. Guess what, it broke! :bsmilie:

And whoa, she has so many fans here! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.