is "photography" becoming a fad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
True...but what do teenagers usually do anyway?

I don't really act my age so i dunno... :embrass:

clubbing, smoking n enjoying life.

do u believe i have never stepped into a club? i am nearing my 20s btw.

It's common and normal...

there was a time when I knew a bunch of teenagers who carried expensive fishing gear only to loiter around Beach road and chatting away.

It's up to them to think and decide if they want to carry on after the whole group has moved on to another activity or hobby...

There's bound to be some sheep in any activities...

I don't really act my age so i dunno... :embrass:

Tsk. Trying to act mature sia :p

I, for one, usually take out my camera in places where I'm allowed to shoot. It's great because when you come across a good photographic opportunity, the camera viewfinder's up to your eyes in less than a second so you don't miss it. Other than that, I'll just hang my camera on the shoulder and continue talking to my friends. There's absolutely no reason why I have to keep using my camera when it's out of the bag.

The more photographers (hobbyist, professional) there are, the more vibrant the SG art scene might be, and clubsnap might have more contributing members. The SG economy will improve by a slight bit, and because of that, more people would be buying cameras, and the cycle goes round and round.

I think it all starts from the interest. When you get a new handphone, there might be a camera function in it, so you try it out and shoot pictures. After awhile, you find that you love shooting pictures, so you purchase a dedicated camera (PnS or DSLR, doesn't matter) and you shoot even more. You learn, you react to the environment, and if you contribute to communities like CS, the online photography scene in SG can flourish.

I definitely don't see this as a fad. Teens with cameras don't mean any harm. That is, unless they are arrogant / intrusive yadayada photography etiquette. But then again, since when are adult photographers any different with manners?

Cheers,
Zexun

Maybe my conception of teenagers is somewhat dated, but that's what happened in my time. :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:
ah wells..

Though I do hate it when spoilt brats with no passion for photography get their 'rich boys' toys and brag about it ;( Really kills the passion in less well-to-do folks :think:

Not true. U are in Clubsnap!:bsmilie: A virtual club. Pun intended.

Honestly, it is better for teenagers to be involved in a healthy pastime then things during my time, gambling, smoking, glue sniffing.

especially like me who bought a D40 ONLY in a sale, when my fren can haolian abt his D700 -_-

Not true. U are in Clubsnap!:bsmilie: A virtual club. Pun intended.

Honestly, it is better for teenagers to be involved in a healthy pastime then things during my time, gambling, smoking, glue sniffing.

:bsmilie: the clubbing i meant was with dance, alcohol and smoking. i hated all these.

i have only been to a bar once when i was in Shanghai. that was when frens insisted that i go with them. :dunno:

ah wells..

Though I do hate it when spoilt brats with no passion for photography get their 'rich boys' toys and brag about it ;( Really kills the passion in less well-to-do folks :think:

if that will kill the passion, there were no passion to begin with :thumbsd:

how would it feel if u have ppl who constant show off to u? example, commenting that u r still using a 4:3 tv set while he is already using a 42 inch HD LCD TV, constantly commenting u this way?

I definitely don't see this as a fad. Teens with cameras don't mean any harm. That is, unless they are arrogant / intrusive yadayada photography etiquette. But then again, since when are adult photographers any different with manners?

;p

Maybe TS should change his initiial qns regarding ppl "of adolescent age" to adults too :sweat:

But hey, I'm not one who goes around pointing fingers. I'm cool with people of any age grabbing their DSLR :)
If they wanna pretend to be professionals, who can stop them? :)

haha, remember you said that somewhere in the potrait sub-forum...:think:

Well, I agree. Perhaps I should correct myself and say 'kill interest'. Casual interest can lead to passion, you agree?

yeah.. he said that in my thread.

how would it feel if u have ppl who constant show off to u? example, commenting that u r still using a 4:3 tv set while he is already using a 42 inch HD LCD TV, constantly commenting u this way?

You care about such things?

My sympathy to you!

i myself carry an entry level 350d. i hang out with my friends at town during weekends. sometimes i'm lazy to bring out my camera bag. so i removed the grip, put on the kit lens and shoulder it as i go.

that totally made me look like one of them? or i'm just one of them. haha. :bsmilie:

I happen to be one of these young photographers...Am 14(going on 15).Actually many of these young people holding DSLRs are not photographers...Many just use their DSLR as a PNS since DSLRs are dirt cheap these days.I bought my first DSLR over 2 years back and since then,my D200 has dropped by more than half in value.
Even then, I see many of these photographers lugging around 5Ds,Billinghams and whole collections of lenses.(I happen to be one of these...).

dirt cheap probably to the well paid working. for the youths, i think parents nowadays are more generous. but youngsters with billingham? i thought they will use crumpler. billingham is for those who want something down to earth, long lasting and able to afford as its cost to size ratio is still more expensive than others.

ah wells..

i`m more worried about young 20s driving recklessly and killing innocent lives, something very real but not yet paid attention to...

DSLR due to its size actually make it safer than compact and handphone cameras. it will look stupid if teenagers gets into fights, using DSLR to knock someone;s head, so that shouldn't be a worry since no one will do that. the prevalence may actually reduced the public's oversensitivity to DSLR and make the security guard less likely to target an easy minority group.

however, the behaviour of non-photographers using DSLR, if unruly, can also affect real photographers who watched their behaviours.

Last edited:

TV is different from cameras. you dun use TV to create works. regardless of equipments, the works can be shown and compared. besides, there is nothing wrong if a junior expressed his views to the professionals. it can be rubbish, but it can be a gem that the more experienced missed out for decades... you will never know.

my pov is that, it depends on what they shoot :think: dslrs as tools for "camwhoring" ? :nono: oh im 19 this year ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.