Is Nikon D7000 still an "oiler"?

When i do long exposure shots, i often get spots, which i intitially thought was dust, but it turned out to b oil on the sensor. It was pain in the ass.........

That's exactly the problem raised by some Nikonians.
Did you send it to NSC and get it cleaned?
And how log is your exposure? I guess it is a headache to shoot star trails using D7000 because those oil spots might ruin the pictures some how.:dunno:
When i do long exposure shots, i often get spots, which i intitially thought was dust, but it turned out to b oil on the sensor. It was pain in the ass.........

yes, somebody said they did send it to NSC and get it cleaned by some professional technicians. However, the problem occurs again after a considerable amount of actuations. So they end up cleaning the sensor by themselves over and over again and it sounds really suffering.
Like I said, oil spots are bigger and round and are mostly near the bottom of the image (top of the sensor). Dust are more random in shape if bigger. As for oil, the more you shoot, the more you see. So after 5-10 shots you should see quite a number. So seriously speaking you will not be able to see much if at all when buying. Only after you use it for around 100 plus actuations. If you see it later, just bring it into NSC.

That's exactly the problem raised by some Nikonians.
Did you send it to NSC and get it cleaned?
And how log is your exposure? I guess it is a headache to shoot star trails using D7000 because those oil spots might ruin the pictures some how.:dunno:

Haha, not yet. Most probably after my exams, i will go down and check with them. Expose around 10 seconds or more u will get dark spots on the pictures. Need to do lots of PP, very fustrating....LOL

Just to share... I have 2 D7000s and none of them have oil spot problems... bought them a few months apart in 2011.

I've seen many people on DPReview discussing oil problems...

i tested this morning, no oil spot also..

6mths old D7k

Yes, I also saw "A lot" threads or posts regarding this problem, which held me back to buy D7000 now. It is due to exsessive application of lubricant on the sensor. And there are some severe cases that the owner sent it to SC many times and still couldn't get rid of it.
Just to share... I have 2 D7000s and none of them have oil spot problems... bought them a few months apart in 2011.

I've seen many people on DPReview discussing oil problems...

Last edited:
flyeminent said:
Yes, I also saw "A lot" threads or posts regarding this problem, which held me back to buy D7000 now. It is due to exsessive application of lubricant on the sensor. And there are some severe cases that the owner sent it to SC many times and still couldn't get rid of it.

There should not be any lubricant used in the sensor. Might be from the mirror mechanism.

Maybe the problem is that nikon dont want to admit that there's an issue... So if u got a defective unit youre stuck with it and have to bring it for cleaning regularly .... Which is annoying.......

Yes, so I personally don't really want to take the risk now until Nikon finally resolves this issue.
Maybe the problem is that nikon dont want to admit that there's an issue... So if u got a defective unit youre stuck with it and have to bring it for cleaning regularly .... Which is annoying.......

My D7k has never given me any problem so far... Loving it.

Yes, so I personally don't really want to take the risk now until Nikon finally resolves this issue.

same here... so im sticking with my D90 for now... might invest on a better glass instead of getting new body....

Don't think it will ever happen, maybe it will in D8000 :D
As you can see from the feedback, lots of happy users as well.

I can only say that perhaps you weigh your risks and usage pattern (ie. do you shoot at <f16 ) and decide from there.
Don't loose out on what the D7K can give you though.

Yes, you are right. I just guess that when those negative feedback on the sensor Nikon at least have to do something somehow.
Actually I also like D7000 but I am going for landscape shooting. Although I don't use f/16 or higher often at this moment, I am not sure if I will use it in future when shooting landscape. I guess it is pretty high chance to do that, huh.
Don't think it will ever happen, maybe it will in D8000 :D
As you can see from the feedback, lots of happy users as well.

I can only say that perhaps you weigh your risks and usage pattern (ie. do you shoot at <f16 ) and decide from there.
Don't loose out on what the D7K can give you though.

Yes, you are right. I just guess that when those negative feedback on the sensor Nikon at least have to do something somehow.
Actually I also like D7000 but I am going for landscape shooting. Although I don't use f/16 or higher often at this moment, I am not sure if I will use it in future when shooting landscape. I guess it is pretty high chance to do that, huh.

At F16, *most lens suffered from diffraction. I wonder why will you need to shoot at that aperture?

Last edited:
Oh, really? I saw many landscape photos shot at f/22 or higher. And "diffraction" is the term I first heard of. Sorry I am newbie here.
At F16, all lens suffered from diffraction. I wonder why will you need to shoot at that aperture?