Is nikon D40 All that good? better than D80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Burgerlim,

Pardon me to hijack your thread, i am in the same situation as you.
I missed an opportunity of 350D with kit lens @ $550.
As i am unsure of the things to look out for such as lens and sensor, i decided not to take it up cos i saw speckle of dust like object on the lens under light.

I wanted to get D40x or D60 but hesitated due to the AF-S and D80 is doubled the price.
if back to 2nd hand D80 i would have the share problem over unsure condition, just like the 350D offer i rejected.

What's your decision or any other gurus can assist us?
thanks!

Dust in a lens is normal. If that was your only reason to reject the deal ($550 is great) than I think you missed a great opportunity.

ya, but really like to consider 450D while as many has pointed out.. 2nd hand maybe a good option but being a newbie.. not too sure of how to really go about it.. like things to look for .. (shutter life... etc...)

If you are interested in exploring buying used, then i can provide the following few pointers. When i was looking for used DSLR in the B&S, I came across this thread from another CS member listing down the basic things you should look for. Cant seem to locate the thread now but here are some of the points he listed :

- look at the body and marking, see got any signs of water damage
- look at the bottom and screws, see got any dents due to drop or fall
- look through the viewfinder, see any scratch or excess dust inside
- look at both LCD, see got any excessive scratches
- look at the lens mounting ring, see got any excessive wear and tear
- mount and dismount lens, see the lens mounting ring smooth or sticky
- put in battery and test fire, hear the shutter sound smooth or not
- ask to see the warranty card, receipt etc, just in case it is not a stolen goods

You also want to look at shutter count. With Nikon, u can verify using a program like Opanda. You will also want to fire off a few shots and check them for sharpness etc in your notebook (not off the camera's LCD screen) If you are not very comfortable, look for a camera with warranty leftover. If anything is amiss, you can then always take it back to the agent.

The above are just basics of what to look out for. It does not guarantee that you will not buy a "lemon". But thats always a risk you take with 2nd hand stuff. Its great value compared to buying new, but be aware of the risks. :)

well rashkae, that's the issue, whereby i am not sure if they are dust or fungus? and sensors, how do i check?
Begin new to DSLR i won't know how to differentiate them.

Hi Burgerlim,

Pardon me to hijack your thread, i am in the same situation as you.
I missed an opportunity of 350D with kit lens @ $550.
As i am unsure of the things to look out for such as lens and sensor, i decided not to take it up cos i saw speckle of dust like object on the lens under light.

I wanted to get D40x or D60 but hesitated due to the AF-S and D80 is doubled the price.
if back to 2nd hand D80 i would have the share problem over unsure condition, just like the 350D offer i rejected.

What's your decision or any other gurus can assist us?
thanks!

How many lenses are you sure you're going to get that you know is not AF-S? Anyway, the rangefinder in D60 seems quite good and you won't be much slower MFing with that.

How many lenses are you sure you're going to get that you know is not AF-S? Anyway, the rangefinder in D60 seems quite good and you won't be much slower MFing with that.

hi Isisaxon,

Good point on the AF-S lens purchase.
I might not get additional lens for the next 1 year or maybe 2.
however my concern is if i would it will costly, unless i go for manual focus but i have yet to reach that stage.

One of the reason i did not go ahead with the 350D is also due to it's small grip and D40 or D60 is about the same size.

If i would to purchase D80, i would not have the same issue and able to use non AF-S lens and not upgrade the body so soon. however new D80 is doubled the price and 2nd D80 i would have challenge in justifying its condition ... sighz...

Pardon for the long fuss, btw you drives a toyota ISIS?

Cheers!

ya, but really like to consider 450D while as many has pointed out.. 2nd hand maybe a good option but being a newbie.. not too sure of how to really go about it.. like things to look for .. (shutter life... etc...)

Any idea when will it reach here?

Seems from the Canon forums that it should be here in late March or April.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356084

One alternative, if you are keen on the Canon side, would be to look out for 400Ds. Their prices should be going down with the 450D's imminent arrival.:)

maybe you'd like to find someone to tag you along when buying a 2nd hand camera.

seriously, if you dont mind and wish to save some money, try going 2nd hand. some Csers are selling their bodies with warranty, or good condition with low shutter count.

i bought my trusty old d50 2nd hand, and i bought my lens 2nd hand. in fact, the only thing i bought first hand was the memory cards, a 3rd party battery , cleaning kit and drybox! even flash was 2nd hand.. and heck~ even my bags was 2nd hand!!!!!

instead of upgrading to a d80, im going for a 2nd hand s2pro, a camera 4-5 years old. so do you consider that an upgrade? i know i wont be able to afford newer, lenses, so i'll go for d80 if it was me. the older lenses, like my 100-300mm AF on my d50, but not on my sis's friend's d40. tried all my lense and cant AF, except for my kit lens which he has too. on the other hand, i can use his lenses, and my other friends lenses

Seems from the Canon forums that it should be here in late March or April.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356084

One alternative, if you are keen on the Canon side, would be to look out for 400Ds. Their prices should be going down with the 450D's imminent arrival.:)

Yup... will keep an eye on this.. thanks for the pointer.

hi Isisaxon,

Good point on the AF-S lens purchase.
I might not get additional lens for the next 1 year or maybe 2.
however my concern is if i would it will costly, unless i go for manual focus but i have yet to reach that stage.

One of the reason i did not go ahead with the 350D is also due to it's small grip and D40 or D60 is about the same size.

If i would to purchase D80, i would not have the same issue and able to use non AF-S lens and not upgrade the body so soon. however new D80 is doubled the price and 2nd D80 i would have challenge in justifying its condition ... sighz...

Pardon for the long fuss, btw you drives a toyota ISIS?

Cheers!

True to a certain extent.. People buying new lenses now are also buying AF-S is there's one available, eg 24-70/2.8, 14-24/2.8, Micro 60, Micro105VR. The only cheaper lenses are probably the 50mm/1.4 or 50/1.8. One to two years down the road, the 3rd party makers would definitely put motors in the lenses for Nikon because there will be enough D40, D40X, D60 users in the market for them to drop the screw drive. Like I always mentioned, if they can put a motor into lenses for EF mount. They can put a motor in the lenses for F mount too, it's just sooner or later.

But of course if you can, go for the D80. Prices should be dropping now but I have a feeling D90 might be coming out soon after Sony A350 and Canon 450D. :dunno:

No, I don't drive a Toyota. ;p

True to a certain extent.. People buying new lenses now are also buying AF-S is there's one available, eg 24-70/2.8, 14-24/2.8, Micro 60, Micro105VR. The only cheaper lenses are probably the 50mm/1.4 or 50/1.8. One to two years down the road, the 3rd party makers would definitely put motors in the lenses for Nikon because there will be enough D40, D40X, D60 users in the market for them to drop the screw drive. Like I always mentioned, if they can put a motor into lenses for EF mount. They can put a motor in the lenses for F mount too, it's just sooner or later.

But of course if you can, go for the D80. Prices should be dropping now but I have a feeling D90 might be coming out soon after Sony A350 and Canon 450D. :dunno:

No, I don't drive a Toyota. ;p

Thanks for sharing on AF-S lens; though with the available ranges they can be expensive.
My concern is also due to the potential D90 but as mentioned before we can never catch up with the latest and does not means it is better.
Still confused but D80 with kit lens is probably gonna stretch my budget :(
but will protect my investment in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.