Is my equipment enough to go overseas?

Jontee07

Sep 14, 2011
North-East
Hi guys,

I'm preparing my camera equipments to bring to overseas for holiday. I'm not sure if my stuffs is enough for the trip.

Here are my equipments:
1) Lowepro Slingshot 350AW
2) Canon 550D with kit lens (18-55mm) & battery grip
3) Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
4) Canon orginal tripod

Do I need any more stuffs for the trip?

Not enough? What do you think is enough? You should have your itinerary by now, plan your gears around locations where you are going and decide what works best. Keep unneccessary stuff at home.

I have been overseas with just a camera and a kit lens and I do not miss anything extra at all. It depends on how you plan your trip.

Are you going on holiday or photographic assignment? Pack accordingly.

Hi All,

I will be in Italy, Germany & UK for 3 months. So I like to know if these equipments are enough to last for the trip or I need to bring more over so that I will not miss out anything.

Hi guys,

I'm preparing my camera equipments to bring to overseas for holiday. I'm not sure if my stuffs is enough for the trip.

Here are my equipments:
4) Canon orginal tripod

looks ok
what have you been shooting in sg?
what will you be shooting during your oversea holiday?
How long will it be?
the small but important details to take of, are your batteries and sd card. Enough storage? Enough batt?

Last edited:
Hi All,

I will be in Italy, Germany & UK for 3 months. So I like to know if these equipments are enough to last for the trip or I need to bring more over so that I will not miss out anything.

...those are 3 big countries. How should we know what you will shoot? Castles? Cows? Pizzas? Sausages? Bring the lenses that you think will give you the focal range you feel you need.

Up to you also if you want to look like a "crazy tourist" who brings bags of lenses everywhere while everyone else is traveling light and comfy.

Hi guys,

Here are my equipments:
4) Canon orginal tripod

Your lens already cover all the focus length from 18 to 300m.

If you intend to shoot something beyond the reach of 300mm, pack a 1.4X teleconverter.

I also feel that you may need 50mm f1.8 for portrait or shooting in low light.

You may also need a good external flash if you feel that your internal flash may not be suitable.

It all depend on what you want to shoot.

you also need a 600mm lens for the marvelous birds that are in those countries
you also need 2 flashlights for in case, you want to do an impromptu wonderful "studio" shot with yourself or your friends
for said flashlights, you also might need radio triggers and lightstands
you'll also need a sturdy tripod for landscape
also needed will be a huge drybox for all your equipment
and then a bag big enough to carry all that gear

you also need a 600mm lens for the marvelous birds that are in those countries
you also need 2 flashlights for in case, you want to do an impromptu wonderful "studio" shot with yourself or your friends
for said flashlights, you also might need radio triggers and lightstands
you'll also need a sturdy tripod for landscape
also needed will be a huge drybox for all your equipment
and then a bag big enough to carry all that gear

you forgot to include a pack mule :dunno:

I will be shooting mostly on buildings and sky. As for night shooting, I dun know if my lens can handle. Any advice?

lol. people trying to bring minimal gear overseas, you still ask whether enough or not.

lens of course can handle night shooting, is whether you can handle or not. :p

I will be shooting mostly on buildings and sky. As for night shooting, I dun know if my lens can handle. Any advice?

You think your lens will be afraid of the dark? Aiyoo, use basic common sense lah! Even Singapore has night, so what is stopping you from trying right now?? You think because it's Europe, it has a different night than us?

You're not going to another planet. Use some basic thoughts.

Typically for my non-commissioned travels my gear is as follows:

For FF: 28-300VC + 17-35 + 50F1.8 + 580EX2

For Crop: 18-200IS + 12-24 +50F1.8 + 580EX2

I would bring along a tripod, additional batteries, CF cards, cable release, etc.

Hope it's useful to you to the TS.

lens range wise, u r basically covered. Night shooting, get ur basic photography knowledge right. give u the best camera but if u don't get the basic right...its still a useless piece of metal.

TS

You may wish to know that some of the best travel photographers in the world use one lens and 1 body and only shoot in ambient light .

bring along UWA lens if u have one...

any need for battery grip? leave it at home..
travel light as much as possible...

Yup it's good to have a UWA, but of cos you can use your kit lens.

If me, i will leave the 70-300 at home

Bring the following will do
2) Canon 550D with kit lens (18-55mm)
3) Canon orginal tripod

Low light - use tripod for long exposure / bump up ISO (its better to have a pic than not having one)

THT