Is Mac or Windows a better choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are about the same if you intent to use the same program. Seems like, you are switching to Mac just to use Aperture?

Aperture is part of the reason. Others being the sleek design, intuitive user interface and iMac is space-saving.

i think the wow factor of the Mac is its interface and sleek design. usability is subjective from person to person (as pointed out by the previous posts).

as for Windows, i can say that Microsoft is trying to beat Mac at its own game by introducing eye-candies into its OS. but i think they failed miserably here. the eye-candies in Vista looked nice but you they gobble up considerable amount of memory. however, with Windows being used my the general population, there is no shortages of applications for you to use. what more, there are great open-source ones which you can use. i'm using quite a number of open-source apps.

honestly, i do like the interface of a Mac but the usability of Windows. so what i did was, i installed Mac themes to my Windows and am happy at it. although i know it's not the real McCoy, so what... once you are in the midst of doing your work, the eye-candies are pushed aside. you will hardly notice them.

Thanks for your inputs. I'm happy I have the original WinXP Pro OS installation discs. I still prefer WinXP over Vista.

the reason why Mac GUI looks nicer is because it has been well designed - the icon, the colours, the shadows, etc. It is pleasing to the eyes.

Hi phoakm

How do you find the macbook? The new entry level macbook is very affordable but in your opinion, is it worth the money? The RAM is low and I think one needs to max it to 4GB.

I like macbook, but I kind of realised that I am using less of it. Most of the time, I used the wow factor presentation of it only to my client. For picture processing part, I tend to rely on my desktop running window OS. I am thinking of letting go the mac, and most probably get a lighter and more functional laptop. :)

It is worth to get if you are using it for basic functions. For picture processing, you may need to consider. BTW, it is best to max out the ram.

Hi sammy888

I looked through the postings in the URL provided and it was a real insight. Thanks for the help. I think it helps to cool my hot-headedness for the time being. I'm currently using a 17in philips lcd monitor. Perhaps I should upgrade my monitor instead. Any recommendations?

There are alot of good monitors out there from Philips, LG, Samsung, Dell, Viewsonic..etc. The more costlier ones would be to find those with the new backlit LEDs which for better uniform of illumination, brighter colours and much better power saving...eg. But present day crop of LCD displays that is above average price for most brands are pretty good. I am doing design and photo editing as part of my job but there are enough good monitors out there that does not cost that much for even me to use and do my work.

The only thing for me personally is I like a glossy screen as oppose to a matte. Colours really pop and you get more clarity compared to a matte finish which I think dull colours and sharpness somewhat. But that is subjective lah and personal preference. It also boils down to what you use your monitor (or computer) for... you might have to make a list of what you want to do with your computer. Example, for gamer they want to make sure they get one with the best refresh rate. Alot out there are in the 8ms but for gamers we try to get the 2ms ones that way with very fast 3D gaming we don't get too much ghosting or blurring as the screen try to keep up. Mac are not favored for gaming 3D since their 3D card options are very very limited. But if gaming is not important to you then it should be fine. But there is watching fast action movies too...I guess faster refresh rate will help.

Colours wise..well it is not just a monitor game, it is also whether you are serious enough to plop down more cash to get colour calibration hardware to ensure your screen is well calibrated so you get to see colours the way you shot it. But remember that mean you have to ensure your DSLR and room lighting ambient is part of that calibration equation too if not...you will still get it wrong. Talk about being pro or a anal rententive hobbist ..that is the name of the game. heheh

I use Macs like I use PC. The interface is nice and all that stuff you hear..well tell me something...you buy it to use or to look at the Mac when you boot it up... see the screen save and all that stuff or are you going to startup your program and use it..and when you go that...what does the program look like full of menu bars and workspace? What pretty about it? It suppose to be a work horse after all. Sexy exterior is only nice if you appreciate looking at it in your own room ....alone. Unless you bought a notebook and only use it at cafes...then I don't know lah heheh.. I have set up a sweet looking PC rig at home and only I see it..but that is fine. It was never meant to be a showboat.

I bought it for what it does best and I also have a mac that does what it does best at one time for design though it is old and dying now. But I saw no reason to upgrade it. But these days...software wise, ADOBE the premium brand for all things design, web, multimedia building..etc ..not all of their sofware of course but there is a majority of new releases comes out on the PC platform first. It is all about the size of the users base. As much as people want to say every creative design uses a Mac..that is just not true. A lot of creatives and the likes of them are also using PCs. So the PC market gets served first. So when you want to choose between the two, think more then just skin deep...dig deeper and also know what you want. If in the end a Mac fits you for what you want to do with it, personal style or a certain software is only available on a Mac ...etc then I say go for it.

But don't be sway by human sentiments. You have to pay money for it so your choose should not be an impulse one. That's my two bits.

There are alot of good monitors out there from Philips, LG, Samsung, Dell, Viewsonic..etc. The more costlier ones would be to find those with the new backlit LEDs which for better uniform of illumination, brighter colours and much better power saving...eg. But present day crop of LCD displays that is above average price for most brands are pretty good. I am doing design and photo editing as part of my job but there are enough good monitors out there that does not cost that much for even me to use and do my work.

The only thing for me personally is I like a glossy screen as oppose to a matte. Colours really pop and you get more clarity compared to a matte finish which I think dull colours and sharpness somewhat. But that is subjective lah and personal preference. It also boils down to what you use your monitor (or computer) for... you might have to make a list of what you want to do with your computer. Example, for gamer they want to make sure they get one with the best refresh rate. Alot out there are in the 8ms but for gamers we try to get the 2ms ones that way with very fast 3D gaming we don't get too much ghosting or blurring as the screen try to keep up. Mac are not favored for gaming 3D since their 3D card options are very very limited. But if gaming is not important to you then it should be fine. But there is watching fast action movies too...I guess faster refresh rate will help.

Colours wise..well it is not just a monitor game, it is also whether you are serious enough to plop down more cash to get colour calibration hardware to ensure your screen is well calibrated so you get to see colours the way you shot it. But remember that mean you have to ensure your DSLR and room lighting ambient is part of that calibration equation too if not...you will still get it wrong. Talk about being pro or a anal rententive hobbist ..that is the name of the game. heheh

I use Macs like I use PC. The interface is nice and all that stuff you hear..well tell me something...you buy it to use or to look at the Mac when you boot it up... see the screen save and all that stuff or are you going to startup your program and use it..and when you go that...what does the program look like full of menu bars and workspace? What pretty about it? It suppose to be a work horse after all. Sexy exterior is only nice if you appreciate looking at it in your own room ....alone. Unless you bought a notebook and only use it at cafes...then I don't know lah heheh.. I have set up a sweet looking PC rig at home and only I see it..but that is fine. It was never meant to be a showboat.

I bought it for what it does best and I also have a mac that does what it does best at one time for design though it is old and dying now. But I saw no reason to upgrade it. But these days...software wise, ADOBE the premium brand for all things design, web, multimedia building..etc ..not all of their sofware of course but there is a majority of new releases comes out on the PC platform first. It is all about the size of the users base. As much as people want to say every creative design uses a Mac..that is just not true. A lot of creatives and the likes of them are also using PCs. So the PC market gets served first. So when you want to choose between the two, think more then just skin deep...dig deeper and also know what you want. If in the end a Mac fits you for what you want to do with it, personal style or a certain software is only available on a Mac ...etc then I say go for it.

But don't be sway by human sentiments. You have to pay money for it so your choose should not be an impulse one. That's my two bits.

Since you mentioned about backlit LEDs....any brands simliar to Mac Monitor for recommendation for window desktop? I am in the mist of getting one or two. Appreciate for the info. :)

Since you mentioned about backlit LEDs....any brands simliar to Mac Monitor for recommendation for window desktop? I am in the mist of getting one or two. Appreciate for the info. :)

The adaptation seem to be more readily available with notebooks at these stage. Samsung which if I am not wrong is the main maker of this backlit LED technology and they are the ones making Mac's line of backlit screen products you see now and also for Dell, HP..and a few others I can't recall. Sansung is shifting into high gear making the claim that they are going totally backlit with all their display offerings this year. I have not checkout out any PC LCD models yet that is backlit but I know they have models up to 40 inche for demo and they are for TV or something like that. Alot of talk out there but not many options still at this time. There is the cost factor and I guess cutting them to sizes for notebooks are easier but well...it will not be long before we will see more brands replacing their entire line with them.

Since I just got my monitor not too long so I am reading and following the technology as an interest just like I am about OLED..etc. But I am thinking to add two more monitors to my next PC setup so I think those two will be BackLit LEDs heh. Which will be about CNY 2009 so by then, they should be quite a few choices out there to spoile me heheheh..

The adaptation seem to be more readily available with notebooks at these stage. Samsung which if I am not wrong is the main maker of this backlit LED technology and they are the ones making Mac's line of backlit screen products you see now and also for Dell, HP..and a few others I can't recall. Sansung is shifting into high gear making the claim that they are going totally backlit with all their display offerings this year. I have not checkout out any PC LCD models yet that is backlit but I know they have models up to 40 inche for demo and they are for TV or something like that. Alot of talk out there but not many options still at this time. There is the cost factor and I guess cutting them to sizes for notebooks are easier but well...it will not be long before we will see more brands replacing their entire line with them.

Since I just got my monitor not too long so I am reading and following the technology as an interest just like I am about OLED..etc. But I am thinking to add two more monitors to my next PC setup so I think those two will be BackLit LEDs heh. Which will be about CNY 2009 so by then, they should be quite a few choices out there to spoile me heheheh..

Thanks for the info. That will be my CNY Ang Bao money next year. :bsmilie:

Thanks for the info. That will be my CNY Ang Bao money next year. :bsmilie:

Wah I wish I could garnered so myc ang pow money leh heheh.... not even got bonus money.

I just saw some models on the Samsung SG site and they have them mainly in their newer series 9 range of LCD TV. Two of the key features are the higher contrast/brightness and very good power saving that I guess made it more important to begin the "spread" with LCD TV and Notebook as opposed to PC display monitors. Notebook especially will benefit a hell of a lot as it drains the battery slower. That is why they use it on the Apple Air for example.
And as for the brightness..that is important since you bring your notebook around with you and there are chances you will be using it outdoor so the extract contrast/brightness comes in handy. Home owners watching TV in day time will also benefit. BUt at this stage ..it is still a premium item so it will not be cheap to implement it all over as yet.

But I am keeping my fingers cross for CNY 2009 heheheh....

That's alot of insightful input! Thanks dude!

I use my PC mainly for web surfing, video editting (holiday videos), photo editting and play FPS games. I understand what you mean when you say glossy screens make colours pop because that's what the iMacs and Macbook have. My LCD monitor is matte type. That's why I see a world of difference.

Currently, I have no personal laptops. I use a self-assembled PC at home. I guess one advantage of PC is that it is fully customisable and yet cost effective. My infatuation to Mac is mainly the GUI, not the exterior. The nice sleek design merely adds to the pleasant experience of using a Mac (yes I admit I'd love to showoff I've got a mac). This was something that only struck me when I recently browsed in iShop @ Paragon. The staff gave a demo and allowed me to try and I was impressed.

Wah I wish I could garnered so myc ang pow money leh heheh.... not even got bonus money.

I just saw some models on the Samsung SG site and they have them mainly in their newer series 9 range of LCD TV. Two of the key features are the higher contrast/brightness and very good power saving that I guess made it more important to begin the "spread" with LCD TV and Notebook as opposed to PC display monitors. Notebook especially will benefit a hell of a lot as it drains the battery slower. That is why they use it on the Apple Air for example.
And as for the brightness..that is important since you bring your notebook around with you and there are chances you will be using it outdoor so the extract contrast/brightness comes in handy. Home owners watching TV in day time will also benefit. BUt at this stage ..it is still a premium item so it will not be cheap to implement it all over as yet.

But I am keeping my fingers cross for CNY 2009 heheheh....

Sammy888, I've got a crazy question to ask. I'm not really a techie. I've got a 32in Samsung LCD TV. Will it outperform my LCD monitor if connected to my PC?:bsmilie:

I like macbook, but I kind of realised that I am using less of it. Most of the time, I used the wow factor presentation of it only to my client. For picture processing part, I tend to rely on my desktop running window OS. I am thinking of letting go the mac, and most probably get a lighter and more functional laptop. :)

It is worth to get if you are using it for basic functions. For picture processing, you may need to consider. BTW, it is best to max out the ram.

I have no laptops so recently I was just browsing around and happen to see Macbook. Actually I will not be using it for heavy processing of images. Probably I will bring it with me during travelling to transfer my pics to HDD or do minor tweaking. Reason why I'm looking at Macbook is because I already have a PC. Just want to try something different. But I love the iMac as well.:lovegrin:

Sammy888, I've got a crazy question to ask. I'm not really a techie. I've got a 32in Samsung LCD TV. Will it outperform my LCD monitor if connected to my PC?:bsmilie:

In one word... NO heheh.... crazy enough for you? It depends to some extend but I would not go there at this time heheh... me abit too busy to be writing long story. Suffice to say in some cases yes you can but it depends alot on why you want to do that and what hardware you are connecting to and what LCD TV you bought and which year you bought it.

In the future not too far that is an easy question to answer and it will be a resounding YES but for now....water is abit murky.

I have no laptops so recently I was just browsing around and happen to see Macbook. Actually I will not be using it for heavy processing of images. Probably I will bring it with me during travelling to transfer my pics to HDD or do minor tweaking. Reason why I'm looking at Macbook is because I already have a PC. Just want to try something different. But I love the iMac as well.:lovegrin:

You mean "pocket itchy" :devil:

have vista on two computers. and one macbook.

i dun like the mac, i still prefer vista. between xp and vista........ i dunno....... vista is working fine for me, no problems other than one crash so far.:dunno: dun think i'll be buying a mac in the near future. but for people who are really computer illiterate, i think mac might fit them.

You mean "pocket itchy" :devil:

Today prior to my company dinner, I went to Paragon to jalan jalan again. And yes, I went to the 4th level iStudio again..... :dunno:

There they displayed the all new macbook and macbook pro. The aluminium casing and back-lit LED screen is really cool. I'm most impressed by the macbook pro and the new touchpad design. I can say Apple really knows how to make their products appeal to the masses.

Btw, is the outgoing 2.4GHz Macbook Pro worth the money? I don't mind older technology at all. I just want value for money. It's a pro afterall right?:)

Today prior to my company dinner, I went to Paragon to jalan jalan again. And yes, I went to the 4th level iStudio again..... :dunno:

There they displayed the all new macbook and macbook pro. The aluminium casing and back-lit LED screen is really cool. I'm most impressed by the macbook pro and the new touchpad design. I can say Apple really knows how to make their products appeal to the masses.

Btw, is the outgoing 2.4GHz Macbook Pro worth the money? I don't mind older technology at all. I just want value for money. It's a pro afterall right?:)

That's the "pro" that does not live up to it's claim of "Millions of colours" that I send the link to you heheheh...... So...value for money or not? :devil:

Here's another...a new lawsuit over the same thingy but this time on a large screen monitor this time.

http://www.macuser.co.uk/news/183180/apple-sued-again-over-mac-colours.html

http://lowendmac.com/musings/07/0521.html

Not trying to rub it in but to show you that even Apple can go too far in their claims. But yes they do make nice looking stuff ( though I find the aluminium thingy looks dated now since it has been out for so long from a design stand point) and yes they do perform well enough but will your needs be on par with what you want to buy. heheh

I think you have already made up your mind. So....go ahead and get it lah. We all have no problem with it really and it will serve you well. I just sorry you are looking at buying motivated by all the wrong reasons at this time heheheheheheheheh..... Have fun with it.

That's the "pro" that does not live up to it's claim of "Millions of colours" that I send the link to you heheheh...... So...value for money or not? :devil:

Here's another...a new lawsuit over the same thingy but this time on a large screen monitor this time.

http://www.macuser.co.uk/news/183180/apple-sued-again-over-mac-colours.html

http://lowendmac.com/musings/07/0521.html

Not trying to rub it in but to show you that even Apple can go too far in their claims. But yes they do make nice looking stuff ( though I find the aluminium thingy looks dated now since it has been out for so long from a design stand point) and yes they do perform well enough but will your needs be on par with what you want to buy. heheh

I think you have already made up your mind. So....go ahead and get it lah. We all have no problem with it really and it will serve you well. I just sorry you are looking at buying motivated by all the wrong reasons at this time heheheheheheheheh..... Have fun with it.

Hi sammy888

Thanks for the quick reply. My mind is not made up yet. Speaking to many colleagues over dinner. They all supported PCs eventhough majority owns a Mac. The amount I spend on a Macbook Pro is more than enough to upgrade to a super powerful PC, buy a couple of 16GB CF cards, big 20in LCD monitor, softwares etc - that's what they say.

Hi sammy888

Thanks for the quick reply. My mind is not made up yet. Speaking to many colleagues over dinner. They all supported PCs even though majority owns a Mac. The amount I spend on a Macbook Pro is more than enough to upgrade to a super powerful PC, buy a couple of 16GB CF cards, big 20in LCD monitor, softwares etc - that's what they say.

Actually I would not say it will cost you that much lah. Hardware to hardware...it is true the Mac stuff will set you back alittle more but I would not say by twice the amount or anything like that. In fact, things like ram and some other peripherals you can get the upgrades yourself outside. Never take upgrades at a Mac store..you end up paying Apple prices for the same thing you can get at Sim Lim SQ run of the mill shops. heh.. You built your own system so you know lah.

The other things are the original softwares hehe... as you know you have to buy originals...they do tend to cost more the PC versions and if they are exclusive to Mac platform..it can cost even more. That is why I did not upgrade much on my aging mac. heheh...

When you go on holiday...why are you even thinking of editing your photos!!!??? Wait till you get back!... I use to just download them to my ipod or my notebook and then come home to Singapore to do anything to the photos... where got time to waste oversea to do that nonsense in my hotel room....so neither should you. hehe you are just making up reason to own a MAC!!!! hehehe... As I say...nothing wrong with getting a Mac. It is a good computer but really... you wanna be a true Mac user or a fan boy? Please be the former. I beg you. heheh...

Mac = a line of computers made by Apple
Windows = operating software by microsoft.

in this direct sense, i think u are comparing oranges to Apples (pun intended) haha

i'll recommend Mac for these reasons
(1) you can run Windows on a mac.
Recently, Epicentre are promoting a special offer where they will install both Mac OS and Windows on any mac books you buy... so u can use Windows too on a mac

(2) the prices of Mac are falling. the latest macbooks are selling for less than US$1000/-.

recently, when i visit starbucks, i noticed almost 40% of the people there with laptops are using macbooks or mac book pros. so it's getting more popular yeah.

Mac = a line of computers made by Apple
Windows = operating software by microsoft.

in this direct sense, i think u are comparing oranges to Apples (pun intended) haha

i'll recommend Mac for these reasons
(1) you can run Windows on a mac.
Recently, Epicentre are promoting a special offer where they will install both Mac OS and Windows on any mac books you buy... so u can use Windows too on a mac

(2) the prices of Mac are falling. the latest macbooks are selling for less than US$1000/-.

recently, when i visit starbucks, i noticed almost 40% of the people there with laptops are using macbooks or mac book pros. so it's getting more popular yeah.

wait till you come to my school or any polytechnic / uni, u will see a lot of Mac users!

Status
Not open for further replies.