Is it worth it?

snoopysnoozy

Oct 2, 2006
Dear Sony expert users,

My friend is selling me his set of Sony camera at a price of $800. He had used the camera for 2 years. His set consists of the following:

Sony DSLR A200, 1 kit len (Sony), 1 portrait len (non-Sony), 1 external flash (non-Sony), 2 original batteries, 1 charger, 1 memory card, 1 carrying case.

Can you advise me if it's worthwhile to get this set? Btw, I'm a novice user with no experience with DSLR at all.

Current market value of a A200+kit lens is $300 to $350.

Dear Sony expert users,

My friend is selling me his set of Sony camera at a price of $800. He had used the camera for 2 years. His set consists of the following:

Sony DSLR A200, 1 kit len (Sony), 1 portrait len (non-Sony), 1 external flash (non-Sony), 2 original batteries, 1 charger, 1 memory card, 1 carrying case.

Can you advise me if it's worthwhile to get this set? Btw, I'm a novice user with no experience with DSLR at all.

For 800 you can get an A33- much much much better than the A200.

The set he's selling is maybe 450-500, depending on exactly what the "non-Sony portrait lens" is.

snoopysnoozy said:
Dear Sony expert users,

If portrait lens is a Carl Zeiss 85 1.4 grab it :)

too expenssive I guess unless the portrait lens is those expenssive ones. care to provide more info of the portrait lens?? external flash non-sony is between 120-200 depending on the brand but for 2nd hand non sony cant go higher than 150.

I guess it all depends on what the portrait lens is.

A200- give it a best of $350
Non Sony flash, perhaps a Yongnuo - at best $100

Sub total = $450.
800 - 450 = 350. 350 can get you a Minolta/Sony 50mm F1.4

If its one of the F1.4 lenses, then maybe its still worth can consider. If not, I think your friend thinks you are "Robert Tao".

Last edited:
I guess it all depends on what the portrait lens is.

A200- give it a best of $350
Non Sony flash, perhaps a Yongnuo - at best $100

Sub total = $450.
800 - 450 = 350. 350 can get you a Minolta/Sony 50mm F1.4

If its one of the F1.4 lenses, then maybe its still worth can consider. If not, I think your friend thinks you are "Robert Tao".

Sorry bro who is Robert Tao??? =P

albertri said:

Robert Tao aka Waiting-to-be-Chopped

Robert Tao means Carrot head. :bsmilie:

I bought a set of A300 (batt and 1 Gig memory card) + Kit lens 18-70mm + a macro lens SAL30F28 + camera pouch, at only $480.

translate to chinese, robert sounds like carrot. Tao is head. So metaphorically, carrot head waiting to be chopped(getting conned).

snoopysnoozy said:
Dear Sony expert users,

Be careful of yr friend. He's waiting to chop you.

A200 not worth so much...... The most I will buy is $450. But it depends on what is the non-Sony len is.

Why not u ask yr friend to tell u ?

Robert Tao aka Waiting-to-be-Chopped

Robert Tao means Carrot head. :bsmilie:

I bought a set of A300 (batt and 1 Gig memory card) + Kit lens 18-70mm + a macro lens SAL30F28 + camera pouch, at only $480.

Thanks guys I heard of this term before but no idea what it means... learned something new today =)

translate to chinese, robert sounds like carrot. Tao is head. So metaphorically, carrot head waiting to be chopped(getting conned).

after all the response by fellow alpha users... I am wondering if he is really a good friend =)

Probably his friend is not aware of the current market value. Let's give the benifit of doubt.
But luckily you asked before accepting the offer.
I heard of people getting the A200 body for $200-250 only, so the package is a bit overpriced as all have agreed here.

this is what I like with alpha users very understanding ppl =)....

Probably his friend is not aware of the current market value. Let's give the benifit of doubt.
But luckily you asked before accepting the offer.
I heard of people getting the A200 body for $200-250 only, so the package is a bit overpriced as all have agreed here.

Last edited:
it good that you ask before decide
you can go to buy/sell section in clubsnap to know more about the re-sales market
this is provide you some guideline and idea about how the market go and what to be taking consideration.

A200 is the most basic model of alpha series 2 years back. It ain't worth much now

IT show coming. Just get A55. And u will enjoy for 1-2years for the next upgrade.