Is it necessary to start learning photography with a DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotAtheory

Nov 8, 2009
Well, I'm trying to pick up photography.
Because it might be a sudden interest, so I dun not want to just invest few hundred dollars to get a DSLR and then end up wasting the money.
So.. yeah.
Is it necessary to start photography with a decent camera?
Can I do it just with a normal digital camera?
And maybe do some kind of editing through photoshop?

Leave me some comments, thanks!

Because it might be a sudden interest, so I dun not want to just invest few hundred dollars to get a DSLR and then end up wasting the money.
So.. yeah.

It's the man behind the camera, not the camera that's make a good picture. :)
Most brother and sister here started with Point and shoot.

Yes, it's the man behind the camera but equipment plays a very important part.

Can't expect to race in F1 using a go-kart.

Can't expect to race in F1 using a go-kart.... F1 = DSLR, go-kart = PNS

If you want to pick up just shooting pictures, then point and shoot will do

If you want to explore the possibilities with photography, shutter speed, aperture etc etc, then dslr is much easier to learn with.

The most important aspect of photography is composition. Any camera can let you do this, even a cellphone camera.

One of my most-ripped images on the net was taken with "just" a Sony V1, so don't worry. The most important thing is to learn to "see" the picture you want to capture, then go from there.

no, i started with a p&s then a prosumer, for quite some time

So.. yeah.

Get a compact with capacity for manual controls.

Last edited:

Can't expect to race in F1 using a go-kart.... F1 = DSLR, go-kart = PNS

Haha.. but u have to learn to drive b4 racing.. no one learns driving using F1 cars right?

So.. yeah.

You don't need a DSLR to start photography, like what others said. :D
A compact camera and if you know how to take photos well, you also can get good photos. ;)

So.. yeah.

IMO, composition, though important, without the correct knowledge on your camera, you will not able to capture good photos.

To answer your questions, there is no need a DSLR. However, you need at least a camera that provide full manual control, that is, allow the changing of Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO, white balance, etc. There is a class of camera call 'pro-sumer'. Which allows you to manual control these settings.

They are people will say that, straight away go to DSLR. To me, it depends on your budget. Also, not everyone really sure they will like photography. There are cases where after buying dslr, realize they don't like the bulky, or become less interest in photography, then it might be a waste of money. So, prosumer 'might' be a good start...

So.. yeah.

I feel it depends on your area of interest. E.g. like sports, I think it would be difficult to use normal P&S camera. Also, like for landscape, some shots requires the use of filter which P&S might not offer.

In short, and in all honesty, the answer would be NO.

It would be much more helpful to learn about some of the most crucial aspects like 1) the basics of light, 2) composition, and 3) the basics of exposure, and 4) the basics of photography - all of which can be learnt from BOOKS, FOC from a public library, or from online resources.

Then start off with the simplest and most affordable camera that either let's you compensate exposure or manually control exposure. In that respect, a better speced P&S or a basic prosumer might be all you need, digital wise. If it's film, most 35mm SLR cameras are super affordable these days, but the cost of film and developing (I'm assuming Devp and scan at home) might get daunting after awhile.

Get a compact with capacity for manual controls.

Agree, a cheap simple compact camera with manual control. slowly play around with the camera and slowly explore into the different of using diff control aperture, shutter, program, manual mode.

understand what shutter/aperture/ISO does to your image and how to use them to achieve the image u want.

Many, if not few have started with the highest expectation and lowest budget investment often found unstatisfactory results and finally give up. The reverse is also thru when they fumble with the equipment complexity.
A few hundred dollars can mean $200-300 which will unlikely to give appealing result than you expected. While a complicated dslr may risk getting bad images during important occassions if user is not well verse with the tool.
You don't need a dslr (most don't IMO) to begin with but you must at least get a camera with certain image quality level.

Profile yourself. Are you those who take pic and as long as it comes out "ok", then any average compact will do.
If you are those who ask, why the person's face so pale, why light so dim, why this and why that....get the configuration range of compacts.

Same goes for photoshop (it is a very very expensive software). If you just want to control the basic lighting, contrast, color, sharpness. Then opt for much cheaper software. If you want raw, then you range will be higher.

I feel that is it most necessary to learn photography with an interest.

I'm sure some of your friends have DSLRs or Compacts with manual function. Ask them to teach you the difference between Apeture, shutter and iso.. And how they affect your picture..

If you find all those mentioned above a hassle, then u might wanna rethink getting a DSLR or even a compact with full manual. Because i dont think it makes sense to buy something with so many functions but use auto..

But since your question is, is it necessary to start learning. I assume you have interest.

so, you can start from learning simple composition like rule of thirds and how to eliminate distractions from your frame.. and see if you are comfortable with all these marfan stuff. Why i say marfan is because, ive tried telling friends that a pms can do blablabla, explaining such stuff to friends who are just interested in pointing the camera lens towards THEMSELVES!! and they told me all these is marfan. personally i think its fun.. haha..

Anyway if you have no budget constraint, and genuinely know that you have the interest to pick up this hobby, just get a DSLR lor.. if got budget constraint.. Any camera will do, composition is the power of your mind!!!!

Initially i was a photography skeptic. But travelling in NZ with my cousin, the 3-4hr long road trips were too long and boring.. so he introduced me to this camera and started explaining everything. so i was hooked..

And i learnt that a fun way to learn composition is to compete actually.
My cousin will simply select a random item during our stops. like a dustbin.. He said, the dustbin is the subject. display it in any way you want. when i looked at our pics.. the answer is obvious.

So thats why, when u get a camera, dont go and shoot alone.. go with others..!!
Have Funn.. =)

DSLRs are good to have but not compulsary.

1) Compacts that have manual controls usually belong to the higher tier group and at times price of these manual enabled compacts cost similar to new entry level or 2nd hand DSLR.

2) Many a times the "feel" is rather important. For example, i fell in love with my 400D when it went "click" and i have been taking photography as a hobby since then.

3) Compacts are good if you are not sure of your direction (whether are you going to be in this hobby for long.) As a matter of fact, due to the low cost of DSLRs these day, even casual shooter also used DSLR for their leisure photo taking.

4) As indicated by others, consumer cameras can be used to "train" composition. (shall not dwell in it since so many explainations made.)

In summary, go look at the BNS section for good and cheap buy which some might cost even lower than a consumer grade camera. if budget is an issue, just grab you girlfriend, parents camera for training and save up for a DSLR. for all that we know perhaps due to the long saving period, you found that photography is not you cup of tea and decides to drop the whole idea. Saves $$$ hahaha:eek:

You don't need a DSLR to start photography but you also don't need to start with P&S first before you go to DSLR.

Your first camera can be a DSLR or a P&S. Both can be used to point and shoot.

Go ahead to get a camera within your budget and start enjoying.

LBL2009 said:
You don't need a DSLR to start photography but you also don't need to start with P&S first before you go to DSLR.

Your first camera can be a DSLR or a P&S. Both can be used to point and shoot.

Go ahead to get a camera within your budget and start enjoying.

I like this advice :) You are so right!
The most important thing is to enjoy this hobby, creating wonderful images that maybe only you can visualize.

Status
Not open for further replies.