Is it hard to make a living out of photography?

being a good photographer DOES NOT MEAN you are also a GOOD BUSINESSMAN

no one will tell u it's easy (who wants another competitor?)...but in truth it's easy(many people with a camera are jumping right in as we speak)

I know it wasn't easy for me, however it wasn't too difficult either

the truth u've claimed, is as true as the many people with a camera hesitating to jump right in as we speak. So what is the truth?

competition is only one of the many other factors of any business, sports, going after a girl or guy. Industry don't tell you its not easy based on the fact they don't want new competition. We've been there, we've experienced and we share. It helps new players to get a grip of what they're going to face when they decide to jump the wagon.

I could lie and agree with you that, it's really easy peasy to make a living out of photography. I simply wiped out my saving, gotten 2 fullframe DSLR, the best arsenal of lenses and advertise wildly during the first year of the business. First year sure make lost, but subsequent year will earn back. Ok sorry I lied.

Dear all, it's really not difficult to make a living out of photography, but its not easy running a business, needing to take good pictures and also deal with the administration. But i do encourage people to give it a try on a part time basis first. Its ok to fall, its ok to ask questions and its ok to ask for help...however never never mislead others regardless. All the best to all those who wish to give it a try. I'm sure many other professionals here are willing to give a piece of their mind and experience. Cheers

it's like asking is life difficult? why ask? just do it. It's not a dead end. Lots of craps are selling nowadays. Why worry? As for treating it like a business..blah blah..just a matter of adjusting to the circumstances. it;s not totally business and not totally photography..just like any other trade. WHy keep discussing the same thing over and over again? It's not rocket science.U must be shooting some serious craps if u worry about the business aspect of it constantly..

it's like asking is life difficult? why ask? just do it. It's not a dead end. Lots of craps are selling nowadays. Why worry? As for treating it like a business..blah blah..just a matter of adjusting to the circumstances. it;s not totally business and not totally photography..just like any other trade. WHy keep discussing the same thing over and over again? It's not rocket science.U must be shooting some serious craps if u worry about the business aspect of it constantly..

chill man...if u insist...all i said was i'm not going to lie about it ;)

i'm not going to be a superhero or wat...I'm just running a business as a wedding photographer Singapore :cool: eventually get a place to stay, settle down, same ol same ol.

look around TS, look at some of the work around, see where u stand..most likely, a piece of cake with some good PR.

Running a business is never easy.

It also depends on your aspirations. If u want to live in a condo, drive nice cars, go for exotic holidays...only a handful has made it, very lucky few. Most don't.

How long to u wanna be a photographer? till 50, 60? Will u be in fashion when u are that age?

If God has given u a talent, go for it. But you must have a good business plan, long term goals, good health and insurance/ retirement plan. :)

Last edited:
Running a business is never easy.

It also depends on your aspirations. If u want to live in a condo, drive nice cars, go for exotic holidays...only a handful has made it, very lucky few. Most don't.

How long to u wanna be a photographer? till 50, 60? Will u be in fashion when u are that age?

If God has given u a talent, go for it. But you must have a good business plan, long term goals, good health and insurance/ retirement plan. :)

plus positive attitude and always humble to learn.

Photography or not, being an entrepreneur will be pretty much the same regardless of industry. Most new entreps enter a business because of familiarity, interest, passion, or opportunity. How you handle the business side of things will have to be your main priority as it should be assumed that you have the pre-requisite skills in the technical/creative side to even consider starting a biz.

Many new businesses fail because the owners treat it as a hobby and ignore the business side of things. If you have a business, your product may be the one bringing the money in, but it's the other facets of running a business such as business accounting, marketing & advertising, etc. that will make the business survive and grow in the long run.

look around TS, look at some of the work around, see where u stand..most likely, a piece of cake with some good PR.

i've been disagreeing for a long long time. But this time, i actually very very much agree to what Lancey have said.

Not in this line, but I guess it is terribly difficult. Why must there be a right answer? If you think it is as easy as the positive thinking gurus say it is, then try it out for real. Then you will know who is telling you the truth.

When it was a hobby, I look forward to picking up my camera during my off days.

Now that it is a profession, I hardly pick up my camera during my off days.

:)

I still love photography. Just that once you make a living out of it, it changes everything.

Running any business is not easy. But you will enjoy the process if you have a good product and you yourself being in your products.

Photography has always been a passion, and doing photography is just a dream come true. Always happy to take more photos and creating my next best shot. It has been 6 years for me, it has been more joy for me.

Doing a successful business requires lots of guts and constant modification on your current process. Once you stop creating (both business and artistically) even for a day, you are falling backward as someone else will improve and take over you.

Once establish, never ever stop to realise how to make things work again since day one. Once you think you are too good, think again.

Hope that give some insight on running a business.

You = anyone not a selective person.

Regards,

hart

Nothing is as hard as the truth. Working hard is very hard. Making money is very hard. After so many donkey years, the same question is being asked again like a broken record.

Lets repeat one more time: Photography is the love for good pictures. Doing business is for the love of money. ;)

Nothing is as hard as the truth. Working hard is very hard. Making money is very hard. After so many donkey years, the same question is being asked again like a broken record.

Lets repeat one more time: Photography is the love for good pictures. Doing business is for the love of money. ;)

Well said :D

Find a job you love and you don't have to work a single day :D
Work to learn, not to work for money :D
Do what you love and love what you do :D
Shoot what you love and love what you shoot (with your camera)

Ask a top property salesman if it's difficult being in their own trade
then ask a normal average property agent if it's difficult
and lastly ask a person who tried selling a property but quit after a few months if it's difficult to sell a house
and you will get a whole range of different answers.

Same for photographers

for every Trade, there are those that do extremely well, there are people who just make a living and there are those that cannot make it at all

You'll not know untill you try. Gifted, hardworking, skills, etc...

Talk to the best and they will tell you that they did not do it for the money. And I believe them that it's not about money. Money as a fuel can only drive a X distance.

Ask a top property salesman if it's difficult being in their own trade
then ask a normal average property agent if it's difficult
and lastly ask a person who tried selling a property but quit after a few months if it's difficult to sell a house
and you will get a whole range of different answers.

Same for photographers

for every Trade, there are those that do extremely well, there are people who just make a living and there are those that cannot make it at all

Agree with Winson.

TS,
come to think about, are your serious enough to consider make a living out of photography?

if yes, why ask opinions from totally strangers online for making such a major decision on your career?

go and find out who are the people you should talk to if you really want some guidance.

Agree with Winson.

TS,
come to think about, are your serious enough to consider make a living out of photography?

if yes, why ask opinions from totally strangers online for making such a major decision on your career?

go and find out who are the people you should talk to if you really want some guidance.

Like I said in an earlier thread, it's just like a broken record.

See the same question asked 4 weeks ago by the same TS: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718507

As I observe from the sidelines, I notice TS would be enquiring an "innocent" question and watch all the bees rushing into the honey pot. This is hardly a discussion on the business aspects of photography. It's more of kopitiam talk.

If TS is serious, I suggest that he/she brush up on the photog related skills before enquiring about going into business. If you look through all his postings it's like "how to do this or how to do that" or "Buy this better or buy that better". Someone who ask that kind of questions are usually not ready. :cool:

An innocent question can attract the Veterans and Pros to respond, sharing wisdom, info and knowledge from the responses. All of us in the trade can benefit, not just the TS. Without which, it’ll be a very quiet forum.

Hotwork77, I must agree with your points of view too. Broken record sounds more like record breaking.[smile]

Like I said in an earlier thread, it's just like a broken record.

See the same question asked 4 weeks ago by the same TS: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718507

As I observe from the sidelines, I notice TS would be enquiring an "innocent" question and watch all the bees rushing into the honey pot. This is hardly a discussion on the business aspects of photography. It's more of kopitiam talk.

If TS is serious, I suggest that he/she brush up on the photog related skills before enquiring about going into business. If you look through all his postings it's like "how to do this or how to do that" or "Buy this better or buy that better". Someone who ask that kind of questions are usually not ready. :cool:

Last edited:
Bro, we can agree to disagree:bsmilie:

Can talk to me, I cannot teach you on the skills required. But i can discourage you for thinking or acting stupid. :bigeyes:

Agree with Winson.

TS,