Is it good to always overexpose negs by 1 stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiahfortythirtyone

Jul 17, 2005
Clementi
thinking of using fuji Pro-S (NPS) or Pro-C (NPC) ISO 160 for shooting some portraits. the thing is, i always hear people say negs should be overexposed by 1 stop to get 'rid of the grain.' is this true?

so how does this work? do i just simply shoot in Av mode and set to EV +1?

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
thinking of using fuji Pro-S (NPS) or Pro-C (NPC) ISO 160 for shooting some portraits. the thing is, i always hear people say negs should be overexposed by 1 stop to get 'rid of the grain.' is this true?

well come on, it's up to personal liking how much grain they want.

yes that's right. or set iso lower by 1stop.

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:

True to a certain extent but at the expense of tonal range (contrast). Professional film should be correctly exposed to get the advantage of the improved tonal gradation. I used to use ISO160 film as ISO100 (+2/3 stops) but the result is not as good as when you correctly expose it. Best to use an incident light meter, in the case of studio strobes, incident light flash meter. The colour tones gradients will be beautiful when correctly exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.