Is it better to use 1-pont AF for moving object?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benn8

Jun 16, 2007
Hi, I am using a 9-point AF canon DSLR camera to capture some shots of a child who moves a lot. But I have problem with the AF because sometimes the focus is on other objects like the background and the arms of the child.

Is it recommended to use 1 point AF, press-hold and move to recompose? Do we have any better technique?

Thanks.

I encounter the problem of the camera focusing on the wrong AF points (background was focused instead of my subject in the foreground) when I shot a wedding a few weeks ago. There is no 2nd chance when the moment is gone, so I would also like to seek the advice of more experienced members is it better to choose a single AF point when shooting for such events?

I always use the centre AF point for every kind of shooting situations. Works great!

Shooting Nikon but i would assume that Canon bodies offer similar features...
Nikon offers single point, dynamic range and closest object focusing (on my D70). Single point is as it says a single point, even with continuous AF not the best for moving objects, closest object uses all AF points and focuses on (as it says) the closest object, useful when you have nothing between you and the object, as it may be the case with your child. Once you have other objects that could pass in front of the lens its not that great (football for example...). For such situation i use dynamic range with the centre point as main AF, the other points are used to gauge where the object will move and help the camera to adjust focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.