is gitzo Tripod really needed??

While looking for lower budget set-ups and the best possible value ... and stability...

do consider a good used 3-way head like the Manny 141, which can cost as low as $50 used. Chances are, it will be more stable (and I suspect longer lasting) than any ballhead costing twice or thrice as much. As far as ballheads go, it seems that if you want similar stability, security and longevity, you'll need to spend at least $400 - $700.

About 600-700 for the Gitzo CF tripod and another 600-700 for a reasonable ball head. Please see the price list for reference. If you can wait, maybe you can hunt around the B&S section for a 2nd hand Gitzo CF tripod.

I believe you can get a decent Manfrotto CF Tripod & Ballhead for $600-700 already. Its not the best but I think it is good enough and value for money. Try the 190CXPROB4 with the 488RC2 Ballhead, compact & light and can take loads of up to 5kg. It is a very good combination and serves most set-ups. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Actually I was shopping around for tripod 2 months ago too but I can't bring myself to spend that much. The reason being is I am still learning and getting a hang of my dslr. So I decided to go for a 2nd hand tripod which cost me $70. Manfrotto 190db. Alum made. Got a good head 498rc2 (1st hand for $198). At least I got a good head and an ok tripod. So if the tripod let's me down in future, I need only to reinvest in that. I reckon my $70 will last me another 2 years before it breaks down on me. Sounds good to me.

So it really depends on how often you use, how heavy your camera will be and well, how self conscious you are:).

I really like the sirui 1k series or 2k series. Best price everywhere is 450 and 550 respectively. I checked almost everywhere. Op, 316, tk etc. China brand but much sturdier then Benro. And I think it's compatible with some gitzo ballhead. The price is of course the carbon fiber model. So check that out. I don't think manfrotto can fit the budget.

If price is not an issue, go for the Gitzo 3541XLS or 3530LS. They are very very sturdy
Forget about the center column.

Most probably my next upgrade. :rolleyes:

Wow that's alot of replies n help from fellow cser. Thanks n sorry for the late reply. Is the 4section n 3 section made hell lotsa diff when kept? How durable is manfrotto cf against gitzo cf or it's just branding ?

Wow that's alot of replies n help from fellow cser. Thanks n sorry for the late reply. Is the 4section n 3 section made hell lotsa diff when kept? How durable is manfrotto cf against gitzo cf or it's just branding ?

a) For stability, the 3 section is better.

b) SERIOUSLY consider the alternative brand name carried by TK Photo. Can't remember the brand now. Same carbon fiber. Similar design. Half the price.

c) Manfrotto does not offer full carbon fiber stuff. Carbon fiber is durable and light weight. Manfrotto is very good too but heavy. Both are owned by the SAME company.

d) Markins ballhead - AWESOME

e) For a budget of $500, you can get the TK Photo alternative + a third of a Markins ball-head. :bsmilie:

a) For stability, the 3 section is better.

b) SERIOUSLY consider the alternative brand name carried by TK Photo. Can't remember the brand now. Same carbon fiber. Similar design. Half the price.

c) Manfrotto does not offer full carbon fiber stuff. Carbon fiber is durable and light weight. Manfrotto is very good too but heavy. Both are owned by the SAME company.

d) Markins ballhead - AWESOME

e) For a budget of $500, you can get the TK Photo alternative + a third of a Markins ball-head. :bsmilie:

Sirui??? :)

The difference between 4 & 3 section when kept is about 5 to 8 cm shorter generally for the 4 section and whether that makes any difference to you depends on the size you are looking for and the load of your heaviest set-up. I knew of a friend who chose a 3 section over the 4 due to it being more sturdy & with all other factors being equal but ended up his bag is 5cm smaller, it would have fit if he had chosen the 4 section so it all depends.

As for Manfrotto & Gitzo CF Tripods, apart from paying for the brand, Gitzo's new 6 layer CF tube design claimed to be more durable and their Turnlock design is generally preferred to Manfrotto's flip lock, which is noisier but as reliable, but I think as long as you stick to the rated load limit & intended usage, either Manfrotto & Gitzo is as reliable, apart from cost, of course.

As for weight, the Manfrotto 190CXPROB4, which is one of their lightest & most reliable CF tripods and weighs in at 1.3 kg is about $500 compared to Gitzo's almost similar one, the G1541, which is about 3-5cm shorter when kept and weights in at about 1 kg, cost about $775, so ultimately, they all have their merits and it depends on what suits your needs and ultimately, how much you are willing to spent for it or worth paying for.

Hope that helps.

Hi, It depends on what weight camera and lens you like to mount for stability, 70-200mm lens and D700 camera or heavier or light weight combo and if a strong wind comes along, will your tripod and head with camera withstand the blow of the wind. Are you using it indoor all the time
These are some factors to consider when buying a tripod and head. If money is no objection, then buy the best for all purposes.

Hi, It depends on what weight camera and lens you like to mount for stability, 70-200mm lens and D700 camera or heavier or light weight combo and if a strong wind comes along, will your tripod and head with camera withstand the blow of the wind. Are you using it indoor all the time

That's an excellent point. It's extremely useful to get a tripod that has a hook under the center rod so that you can hang your backpack on it. I typically have some lenses + water bottle in my backpack so that when the latter gets hooked onto the tripod, the weight of the entire package helps to keep the set-up super stable.

Last edited:
That's an excellent point. It's extremely useful to get a tripod that has a hook under the center rod so that you can hang your backpack on it. I typically have some lenses + water bottle in my backpack so that when the latter gets hooked onto the tripod, the weight of the entire package helps to keep the set-up super stable.

Not a good idea to have a hook under the centre column as chances of causing the centre column to creep downwards when extended with weights hanging on it is there and together with the weight of your set-up mounted on top of the column, the force acting down on the column is a lot and this will eventually wear the column with this downward force acting on the collar lock.

The better method of weighing down the tripod is to have the hook on the tripod collar instead of below the centre column. This way, the weight will be acted around the tripod collar instead of against the column and this load will be transferred to the legs more evenly making the tripod more stable. If you observe carefully, this is the principle why brands like Manfrotto have their hook located around their tripod collar instead of below the column eventhough it is more convenient to have it below the column.

The better method of weighing down the tripod is to have the hook on the tripod collar instead of below the centre column. This way, the weight will be acted around the tripod collar instead of against the column and this load will be transferred to the legs more evenly making the tripod more stable. If you observe carefully, this is the principle why brands like Manfrotto have their hook located around their tripod collar instead of below the column eventhough it is more convenient to have it below the column.

Learn something new. Thanks. When my current tripod falls apart, I will know what to look out for in the next tripod. :bsmilie: Interestingly enough, the Gitzo GT1541T tripod is designed with the hook under the center column and have not heard of the threading holding the center column wearing out... yet...

Last edited:
Learn something new. Thanks. When my current tripod falls apart, I will know what to look out for in the next tripod. :bsmilie: Interestingly enough, the Gitzo GT1541T tripod is designed with the hook under the center column and have not heard of the threading holding the center column wearing out... yet...

That is why the Gitzo cost very much more, now you get it?

That is why the Gitzo cost very much more, now you get it?

Or it may it all come down to carbon fiber built and not just the design.

Sometimes, people pay for name more than anything else. For example, I own Singh-Ray filters which cost a lot more than Lee/Hitech filters but the performance is NOT any better: they too get scratched, have color cast and uneven ND effects. I have also read complaints of Gitzo filters that fall apart after some use... There are just certain brand names to stay away from (e.g. Cokin) and others which are more or less OK despite price differences.

Last edited:
Don't know whether it's OT or not, but can the Hakuba 503MX that Tom Hogan recommends me found in Singapore?

It looks like a great buy. The panhead that comes with it might also be sufficient for your setup if it isn't too heavy.

Thanks for the recommendation of manfrotto 190Cxprob4 how much does a manfrotto mid range ball head cost or should I get a markin ball head? The choice is too many for me to decide man

My friend told me a good tripod can last 10year or more I'm just in doubt. Can someone advice? Thanks

depends on how u use it. if u r abusive, a gitzo will not last 10 yrs either.

how much do i need for a mid range CF gitzo

depending on ur height, the taller tripod models will be much more expensive..

I think the Markins Q3/T is quite a decent ballhead and its going for $379. Definitely worth considering.

definitely. compact and good.

ryan