Is Fuji X100 suitable for a newbie?

iamthatman

Aug 22, 2011
Hi hi,
been looking around, and I've really come to like Fuji's X100. Its not as bulky and with it's nice exterior and APS-C CMOS sensor being close to DSLRs, i'm kinda attracted to it.
but heard from my photography frens that its nt an easy cam to use, so i tot I would like to hear some advice first before purchasing one as my first good cam.

Thnx! your valuable feedback is deeply appreciated :)

It definitely has a learning curve. It's up to you if you think it justifies the high price and if you have the patience to master it's controls.

Personally I'd rather get a NEX.

im too in love with the retro look of X100.. minus the price tho.. haha

will you feel limited with the fixed lens?

personally.. i will buy the X100 only as my secondary cam..

Hi hi,
been looking around, and I've really come to like Fuji's X100. Its not as bulky and with it's nice exterior and APS-C CMOS sensor being close to DSLRs, i'm kinda attracted to it.
but heard from my photography frens that its nt an easy cam to use, so i tot I would like to hear some advice first before purchasing one as my first good cam.

It uses a fixed focal length, so it can feel limiting if you want to try new things out, that would probably be the main issue I can think of from the perspective of someone new to photography.

In essence, it is a point and shoot that cannot zoom, but delivers great pictures that affords the user much more control over the settings.

Great for anyone newbies or seasoned users alike, who craves for more "portability".

Last edited:
Hi hi,

What do you think? It is difficult for any of us to tell you if it is hard or easy to use. You have to take the camera up yourself and test it. To some, it is a very difficult camera to use, much less to master, to others it was a bliss.

And you have to justify for the high cost yourself and whether it was worth it or not.

For me... I will never change my DSLR and mirrorless with the X100... but that is just me.

I don't think it's a great first cam. It's not small enough to be pocketable (unless you plan on using it primarily in the winter, then jacket pockets might be good). As a newbie, APS-C vs M43 may not make that much difference to you, although M43 vs anything you've ever used before your first good cam will.

The new mirrorless cams are really small. I mention M43 because the Panasonic or Olympus cams with one of the new power-zoom lenses will be small, be flexible enough for you to grow with it with different focal lengths and gives you the ability to add lenses later (macro, portrait, environmental, tele, wide). Apart from 'small', none of the others is true for X100- and even then it's not small enough.

Personally, I would get a small mirrorless, then a small PnS like the S95 for those times you really want jeans-pocket-small. The X100 is just too limiting, and doesn't allow you to do enough, for a newbie.

Well, I think so. As is known to all, Fuji's products are not so professional when compared with Canon and Nikon or other professional producer. But as a newbie, it is a good choice because you can experience the photography with a suitable price -- it will not beyond your budget.

Well, I think so. As is known to all, Fuji's products are not so professional when compared with Canon and Nikon or other professional producer. But as a newbie, it is a good choice because you can experience the photography with a suitable price -- it will not beyond your budget.

What exactly do you mean by not so professional as compared with Canon, Nikon and other professional producer? You mean they didn't produce DSLR... wait... they did, only they stop that line sometime ago. They produce good PnS that are very very innovative and produce excellent results as compared to other big players' PnS.

It is all up to the target market. Fujifilm was not targeting at DSLR user when they design their cameras. But their cameras are by no mean not professional as compared to equivalent group of cameras from other major manufacturer.

And X100 is a rangefinder (with a APS-C sensor), I would say it is a very very good camera. The only quirks I have is its price and fix lens. And I would say, it certainly is very professional...

Last edited:
For newbie, i think you are better off with a more flexible system like NEX, M43 or DSLR, since you will then be able to try different types of photography easier later on and develop your area of interest. :)

What exactly do you mean by not so professional as compared with Canon, Nikon and other professional producer? You mean they didn't produce DSLR... wait... they did, only they stop that line sometime ago. They produce good PnS that are very very innovative and produce excellent results as compared to other big players' PnS.

It is all up to the target market. Fujifilm was not targeting at DSLR user when they design their cameras. But their cameras are by no mean not professional as compared to equivalent group of cameras from other major manufacturer.

And X100 is a rangefinder (with a APS-C sensor), I would say it is a very very good camera. The only quirks I have is its price and fix lens. And I would say, it certainly is very professional...

That's a pro talk for you.. And im second to that..
Afterall, its still down to how comfortable are you with which brand and model as Chase Jarvis quoted, "the best camera is the one that's with you"

"As is known to all"?? LOL!!!

Better correct that to "As is known only to me and not by all the pro photogs out there"

Its seems that only you hold on to this view, what do you mean "as known to all"? Speak for yourself and not for others.

Totally agree, Fujifilm makes very good cameras, especially their compact and superzoom series and of course the X100 too. Professional enough to me.

Wah, I thought Fuji manufactures the lenses for Hasselblad H system. Anw, the X100 is good in my opinion, has most of the functionalities of manual DSLR including even built in ND filter (I don't think even high end DSLR have that) and spirit level. Fuji colours are quite legendary after all. Personally feel its quite adaptable, can be as manual as you want it, but can also be as pns-like as you want it. sometimes lazy, f2, aperture priority, iso 400, 2nd press of display button, use like pns :bsmilie:

more adventurous, toggle 3rd display screen with grid and spirit level, f11, bulb, on tripod with soft release (or the "syringe"), shoot at different film simulation and dynamic range, even toggle your softness, shadows and highlights.

sure, lens range is restricted to 24 (~~off hand i think) but if you can plan in advance what type of environment you will be in, its not that bad. I shot still product, my personal graduation and landscape with that, and it performed quite well. There are alot of comparision with Leica X1, but I don't own that, so I can't comment.

Just my 2cents opinion:)

Hi!

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. very diverse and good ones in fact :)

Thanks for the pointers, will take note and get a cam tt suits my needs! Yep, agree that I need to go try try some cams first before jumping in.

Cool beans

Lol, this is cool, I didn't know that Fujifilm, which has been making good cameras for so many years, is not professional. :bsmilie:

http://www.ryanbrenizer.com/blog/2011/05/fuji-x100-review/

Last edited:
X100 does not has interchangeable lenses. It can be limiting if you intend to explore the use of other focal lengths and its effects.
Various things have been said about its user interface. To me its more a matter of getting used to.

If you want a small mirrorless camera, I'd suggest you look at some of the more flexible systems.
m4/3 - I think this system has 'come of age' quite a bit since it first started about 3yrs back. The small pancakes and small fast primes are now avaliable in enough variety of focal lengths. Pretty full range of focal length zooms as well. Not to mention the ability to use other brand lenses (manual focus though)
Sony NEX - Making many rangefinder and manual lens uses sit up and take notice. The cheapest entry to an APS-C sensor body that supports the ability to use other brand lenses (manual focus though). Unfortunately, at this moment, many of its own lenses are quite the same size as the lenses from a DSLR which defeats the small camera advantage. Perhaps future lenses will be smaller and the system progresses.
Samsung NX - APS-C sensor. Quite an interesting series of smallish prime lenses dedicated to the camera.
Ricoh GXR - unique offering which has the lens and sensor as a detachable module. The coming M-mount module is the one to wait for (in fact many Rangefinder and manual lens users are keeping a watch on this one).

X100 does not has interchangeable lenses. It can be limiting if you intend to explore the use of other focal lengths and its effects.
Various things have been said about its user interface. To me its more a matter of getting used to.

If you want a small mirrorless camera, I'd suggest you look at some of the more flexible systems.
m4/3 - I think this system has 'come of age' quite a bit since it first started about 3yrs back. The small pancakes and small fast primes are now avaliable in enough variety of focal lengths. Pretty full range of focal length zooms as well. Not to mention the ability to use other brand lenses (manual focus though)
Sony NEX - Making many rangefinder and manual lens uses sit up and take notice. The cheapest entry to an APS-C sensor body that supports the ability to use other brand lenses (manual focus though). Unfortunately, at this moment, many of its own lenses are quite the same size as the lenses from a DSLR which defeats the small camera advantage. Perhaps future lenses will be smaller and the system progresses.
Samsung NX - APS-C sensor. Quite an interesting series of smallish prime lenses dedicated to the camera.
Ricoh GXR - unique offering which has the lens and sensor as a detachable module. The coming M-mount module is the one to wait for (in fact many Rangefinder and manual lens users are keeping a watch on this one).

Thnx pinholecam! If only there are "Like" buttons like facebook here, so that I can thank all those who advised!

Cool beans

yep, as others would say.

depends on how much you would want to explore.
dslr gives u flexibility in doing almost every type of photography(possibly everytype). but portability wise depends on how you look at it.
x100 is a good camera with all the settings you will ever need for day to day photography.. the 35mm equivalent fixed focal length isnt really much of an issue, and it is a good focal length to train composition. but it is not cheap compared to mid range dslr like D5100. you wont be able to try other lenses/focal length too.
4/3 or nex systems allow you to use other manual lenses, but there is an issue in that too. can you live with the manual focusing , and how you check the manual focusing from the lcd? not for me.. if i had a 4/3, i would just buy a panasonic leica summilux 25mm 1.4dg..

if you want portability , quality and interchangeability, dont mind manual focus, i suggest you check out leica m8 if you can afford a little more hehe. Regardless, x100 is still good enough imo and you will probably learn alot more by giving yourself some restrictions :)

KevinWhite said:

Fujifilm not professional??

What a joke! LOL.