Is dust on filters (e.g. UV, PL, etc) critical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windwaver

May 19, 2007
Europa
windwaver.tripod.com
As title. Will dust on the filters e.g. macro, UV, PL, etc affect the output of the shot? I did some testing on my own but couldn't find any difference (I even zoomed those tested shots to 4x it's max resolution (2560).

So can I conclude that dust on filters doesn't affect the image output?

They can potentially turn up in the picture as dust spots.

Even if you cannot see the dust spots on the final picture, it is still good habit to keep them clean :)

Ryan

Don't worry so much about dust spots on the front lens elements. It really doesn't affect your pics. I have used an old lens with a crack right through the the lens and it doesn't affect the lens - just paint the crack with black marker to reduce light diffractions.

Its the rear elements that you will want to be careful of - the one facing your sensor or film plane. Spots there will definitely show up.

Not to worry so much, it really doesnt affect your pics. as mention, just use a blower to clear the dust off when availiable.

They can potentially turn up in the picture as dust spots.

Even if you cannot see the dust spots on the final picture, it is still good habit to keep them clean :)

Ryan

No, filter dust will never show up as spots. Only dust on the sensor (or very near it, such as at the rear element) will potentially show up, and only at very small apertures.

yup... i used a filter full of sand n dust ytd at Sentosa... nw reviewing the pics, no dust spots... so i tink like most have said.. its the places nearer to sensor that matters..

As title. Will dust on the filters e.g. macro, UV, PL, etc affect the output of the shot? I did some testing on my own but couldn't find any difference (I even zoomed those tested shots to 4x it's max resolution (2560).

So can I conclude that dust on filters doesn't affect the image output?

Yup it doesn't, unless your entire filter filter is coated with dust.

But still I think it's better to keep them clean, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.