Is dry cabinet necessary ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
btw is it ok to keep the batt inside? do u guys leave the batt in ur cam?

how bout when go for outing? need to put gel in bag?

Hello, saw this discussion on dry boxes.
So just want to enquire the gurus here if an airless/vaccume environment good for camera equipments such as DSLR, lens, filters etc?
pls advise as I saw there's a container that can suck out the air inside by pumping on a button, don't know if it is a good buy? :think:

Y is that so?
can elaborate on that?
does fungus able to survive in vaccume?
Thanks for the advice :)

READ THIS BEFORE ASKING

There is no right or wrong, just how you do it:

Like any other batteries, your battery in your camera may leak. So taking them off will save you for that unlucky day when it does leak.

Just like your M16 when you go field camp, you do not need gel when you go outing. In fact when you leave your camera outside for a few days is ok, so long it is not beside a river or high humidity area. Basically you need to take care of your equipment first, like cleaning it after everyday's use. My BMT instructor even say that you do not need to oil it everyday, just clean it dry. Same theory for camera.

Jellyfish said:
Y is that so?
can elaborate on that?

Ask yourself, how much is that vaccume sucker? You think it really able to suck all air out? Just get a proven method, an electronic dry cabinet or dry box with silicon gel.

hmm but the settings will remain?

Jellyfish said:
Y is that so?
can elaborate on that?

You are handling electronics, there must be a certain amount of humidity. Too dry, the rubber peels, the len coating cracks. Too humid, fungal growth is encouraged.

not that I dun trust dry cabinet's functionality, just finding more alternatives. cos not people can be rich enough for expensive maintenance methodology.
discussion is to find out more not to limit to certain boundaries

espn said:
You are handling electronics, there must be a certain amount of humidity. Too dry, the rubber peels, the len coating cracks. Too humid, fungal growth is encouraged.
Thks for elaborating

Jellyfish said:
not that I dun trust dry cabinet's functionality, just finding more alternatives. cos not people can be rich enough for expensive maintenance methodology.
discussion is to find out more not to limit to certain boundaries

Electronic Dry Cabinet expensive? Yes, compared to dry box + silicon gel, but certainly not any more expensive than any digital cameras outside selling like hotcakes now. It may just be a theory, but my 60L 4W cabinet suck money (electronic bills for 1 year) of less than what I eat everyday (I eat like 3 meals of $2 everyday?).

The concern will be whether is it worth the
1)Space,
2)Risk (motor failures),
3)Time (to dry the silicon gel) and
4)Usefulness (For 1 digital camera to 1 SLR system?)

For the money to maintain both electronic and silicon gel system, they are roughly the same. As each year you spend a few bucks for the electricity for the former, you spend even more for the silicon gel with the pan, gas to dry the gel, or hair dryer (electricity again). Or if you want cheap method use sun to dry (not the fastest method). Electronic dry cabinet is less time consuming once you set up right the first time.

Certainly I would not get a electronic one for just a FX2 Panasonic camera, maybe a dry box + $4 gel.

So how to dry the silica gel? i saw my mummy putting it in the toaster till it turned blue..that was a Loong time ago.. Is it supposed to be blue or pink?

theITguy said:
Electronic Dry Cabinet expensive? Yes, compared to dry box + silicon gel, but certainly not any more expensive than any digital cameras outside selling like hotcakes now. It may just be a theory, but my 60L 4W cabinet suck money (electronic bills for 1 year) of less than what I eat everyday (I eat like 3 meals of $2 everyday?).

The concern will be whether is it worth the
1)Space,
2)Risk (motor failures),
3)Time (to dry the silicon gel) and
4)Usefulness (For 1 digital camera to 1 SLR system?)

For the money to maintain both electronic and silicon gel system, they are roughly the same. As each year you spend a few bucks for the electricity for the former, you spend even more for the silicon gel with the pan, gas to dry the gel, or hair dryer (electricity again). Or if you want cheap method use sun to dry (not the fastest method). Electronic dry cabinet is less time consuming once you set up right the first time.

Certainly I would not get a electronic one for just a FX2 Panasonic camera, maybe a dry box + $4 gel.

i learnt the lesson the hardway, i used to store in a normal dry box with silica. my camera eos 500D,LENS EFZOOM 2 NOS, Last year it developed fungus :( finally the motor also spoiled i had used it for 5 years.

Total cost spent for reparing the camera/lens
small lens zoom =40$
Big lens zoom =80$
Camera Motar+Service =84$
Total 204$

Now i need to buy a digi dry box to store
1)DV Camera, Pana GS-400
2)Nikon CoolPix 5400
3)Canon EOS 500, with 2 zoom lenes
4)DV Tapes+Burned DVD's

what kind of a digi dry box should i buy. Prevention is better than cure!

Thanks.

For those who do not want to invest in a dry cabinet (tough I would recommed it for the convenience), and do not want the hassle of frying or microwaving their sillica gel, there is this new thingamagic that can be found in most camera shops or photolabs. its just a small container with some kind of desicant and heater in it. All you have to do is plug this to the wall socket and allow the heater to dry the desicant (there is a window to see the desicant inside so you know when its done), then just pop it into the dry box until the contents turn pink.
basically a drycabinet does the same thing except its all automated. Anyway, at the prices that these cabinets come these days, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
When I made mine years ago, even the cheapest one cost more than $300 Now you can get the smallest at less than $100

xpgel said:
Thanks, what box size should i look for.

A 60L one will be good, with 3 compartments. Top use for your DV cam + SLR system, 2nd lvl use for your Digicam + All accessories, last lvl for you DVD, tapes.

sniperleow said:
So how to dry the silica gel? i saw my mummy putting it in the toaster till it turned blue..that was a Loong time ago.. Is it supposed to be blue or pink?
For Silicon gel, once it turn blue, it means that it is "full" and could not take in any more moisture.
To dry a fulled silicon gel (Blue) is easy, like what you say, in toaster or just put it under the hot sun till it turns pink. Once it is pink, you can pop them into the box and use again :D

Electornic Dry Box, use electic power (maybe cost less then a dollar a month for power bill), maintainance free (If i am not wrong), more accurate (No need to gauge the amount of silicon gel to put into box)

Silicon Gel based box, no power needed (For those people who's family nags when you plug something into the power socket even when you tell them it is very very low power and cheap), maintaince needed (if turns blue need to dry them). Too dry if too much silicon gel is left in box.

Thats all i know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.