Is "D70's "RAW+JPG" mode is now totally useless" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Fellow D70 users,

I came accross this website and it states that "D70's "RAW+JPG" mode is now totally useless" !!?? :bigeyes:

Please read on.. here

Apparently, the D70 NEF files (not RAW+JPG) actually already embeds 3 JPGs files in the NEF.

There is also a software that tells you the Mileage of Your D70 :)

Well... i think jpeg + raw is still useful as you are at least able to have a check on the basic things like exposure (not very accurate using LCD) and composition to know that your raw file is ok and worth saving...

I think it's trying to get you to download their software!! I often use RAW+JPEG - previewing the JPEGS is quicker due to their small size and then can just open the RAW files I select.

I have tried it. It works very well.

What this SW offers is that if you have limited CF space, you can shoot with NEF format (skip the NEF+JPEG Normal). Once dowloaded into PC, you can use this program to extract the embedded JPEG inside the NEF. It takes only seconds to get the JPEG!

You can of course create the JPEG with Nikon View or any other programs. But as you know, Nikon View or Capture is not a very fast program. I find that this program helps speed up workflow a bit.

The program does fine with new pictures just downloaded from camera. If you try to extract the JPEG from NEF that have already been worked on with NC or others, you will not get the JPEG normal but only small thumbnail JPEG.

Though I find the program does what it claims well, I will probably not use it caused I rarely need JPEG normal.

Very useful software. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.