Is Canon the only digital way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raine

Jul 10, 2004
Hey, i'm actually quite new to the camera scene but i've been using film instead of digi. There's just something about film! :D However, i've been thinking about investing in a simple digital camera which i can carry around to take those "kodak moments". My budget's about $300-$400. A 3.2 mega-pixel camera would be fine too. Is my budget realistic?

And i know a lot of people say canon is good but when i used my friend's canon camera(i think it was a powershot A80), i realized that there's a lag time between the shutter-release and the capturing of the picture! So it doesn't really capture the moment, instead the moment just passes you by and you get the remains of it! So i guess that's my main concern. Also, it'll be great if the start-up time would be real fast. Are there any other brands which are just as good as canon? And haha, last question, is sony a cosmetic digital camera or is it just beauty without the substance?

thanks so much for responding. Appreciate it! :)

If im not wrong, consumer cameras always have a significant shutter lag (meaning the delay between the moment u press the shutter and the moment it actually capture the moment). I've always think Canon powershot(A60/A70/etc..) is a good series of cameras where you get to play around with shutter speed and aperture but shutter lag will still be there.

With ya budget, i think you're able to get a secondhand A70 of 3.2MP.

Hope i answer part of ya question.

raine said:
Is Canon the only digital way to go?
Definately NOT! They just happen to have one of the biggest marketing department. Do check out other brands too. Go down to a camera shop to "touch and feel" which camera is best for you.

raine said:
i've been thinking about investing in a simple digital camera which i can carry around to take those "kodak moments"
Then you should be looking into the A series. The extra functions would be a waste if you are looking for a simple camera.

raine said:
is sony a cosmetic digital camera or is it just beauty without the substance?
Hmmm. I happen to be using a sony and loving it, so go figure.

raine said:
Hey, i'm actually quite new to the camera scene but i've been using film instead of digi. There's just something about film! :D However, i've been thinking about investing in a simple digital camera which i can carry around to take those "kodak moments". My budget's about $300-$400. A 3.2 mega-pixel camera would be fine too. Is my budget realistic?

And i know a lot of people say canon is good but when i used my friend's canon camera(i think it was a powershot A80), i realized that there's a lag time between the shutter-release and the capturing of the picture! So it doesn't really capture the moment, instead the moment just passes you by and you get the remains of it! So i guess that's my main concern. Also, it'll be great if the start-up time would be real fast. Are there any other brands which are just as good as canon? And haha, last question, is sony a cosmetic digital camera or is it just beauty without the substance?

Shutter lag is a characteristic of all P&S digital cameras. Basically, if you want live preview (i.e. viewing the scene via the LCD screen prior to taking the shot), you will have to live with shutter lag. I have a Nikon P&S and 2 Canon DSLRs. Olympus, Sony, Fujifilm, Minolta and even Casio all make good P&S as well. Shop around a little and get a feel for what you need. And no, Sony make really solid digicams, not just cosmetic.

raine said:

if shutter lag is yr main concern and with a budget of $300-400. No camera fit the bill.

I'm still using my mjuII f2.8 for great start-up time and good shutter-lag that beat any digital P&S cam of that size.

You can take a look for those at $600 above (sony w1, or ricoh brand) for better startup time but shutter-lag still slow compare to film camera. So still have to learn to live with it.

Haha, hey, many many thanks! :D Really really appreciate the advice. The hunt for the digital camera is on! heh heh..maybe i should check out the sonys huh.. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.