Is bounce card better than diffuser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no matter what light diffuser you use, if you don't know how to use it also useless
different situation calls for different equipment

sometimes just bounce the flash on the ceiling is better

I cannot agree more...

i compared my diy bounce card against the better bounce card (foam type).

observation
1) the foam type more powerful (by 1 to 1.5 stop), hence saving the juice, ie faster recharge time.
2) the light distribution for both are not good, when i used 28mm lens in landscape orientation.

actually ah

the bounce card is suppose to work together with the ceiling bounce
the light reflected off the bounce card is suppose to only provide some fill light from the front and the main light is from the ceiling bounce.

I have noticed that many photographers using the bounce card outdoors
where the main light is from the bounce card
while it will still work, it is a serious drain on your batteries and stress your flash

try it indoors together with a ceiling bounce for maximum effect

actually ah

the bounce card is suppose to work together with the ceiling bounce
the light reflected off the bounce card is suppose to only provide some fill light from the front and the main light is from the ceiling bounce.

I have noticed that many photographers using the bounce card outdoors
where the main light is from the bounce card
while it will still work, it is a serious drain on your batteries and stress your flash

try it indoors together with a ceiling bounce for maximum effect
Ortega is right,

the reason to use bounce card at outdoor is to have a wider flash coverage,
but not always the case that you need wider flash coverage if you are not shooting wide angle, so some photographers are too lazy take out the bounce card.
and some photographers are following what other people doing without knowing why.

another use of bounce card for better softer light is when doing close up or macro, cos the light source (bounce card) are relative larger then the subjects.

i will suggest those who want to diy bounce card test the light distribution on a flat, plain color wall at the widest angle lens that you feel you will use with this combination.

If you want a more durable DIY bounce card, just use those white PVC material. NUS SDE co-op has them in huge A1 or so sized sheets. $3.80 for one but i think can cut like dunno how many bounce cards from that man.

Anyway, having used diffusers like the Omnibounce and LSPJ II as well as DIY bounce cards I'd have to say each is good for a certain purpose. The LSPJ II is basically useless outdoors, even with the dome. Firing through the dome directly is worse than using an omnibounce.

Omnibounce is good for diffusing light at close distances (like in macro work). At longer distances, indoors, the LS is much better.

DIY bounce card is of course the cheapest and most portable. It's also the most useful outdoors IMO. Just bend the card slightly forward over ur flash head (to reduce the amount of light being sent straight up) and whack ur ISO to 800 or 1600 and you'll be surprised how far the light is thrown even outdoors in pitch dark conditions. And it still looks better than using direct flash.

Anyway, I'm tempted to try this one out soon: http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/ Only thing is I need to find the foamy material first..

Just my $0.02.

Do u koe wher to buy those material ?

NUS SDE means the Forum Coop or the Science Co Op?

If you want a more durable DIY bounce card, just use those white PVC material. NUS SDE co-op has them in huge A1 or so sized sheets. $3.80 for one but i think can cut like dunno how many bounce cards from that man.

Ah alright thanks for the headsup! By the way, do you know its opening times/days? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.