is 70-200 F4 L lens worth getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
img5771mk5.jpg

70-200 2.8IS @ ISO1600 with 580EXII direct flash (105mm)

Doesn't look too bad.

I've used it under extreme low lighting (like disco) with flash of cos and results are still very gd.

got it. thanks!

because i've been comtemplating for a really long time which 70-200 lens to get. hmmm, i'll still consider.

i think for everyday use, an f4 is enough. but remember, u gotta get what you NEED not what you WANT. :)

pardon me asking a question again:

why does the activation of IS kill the camera batts faster?

pardon me asking a question again:

why does the activation of IS kill the camera batts faster?

The battery need to supply power to operate the IS unit inside the lens when u activated the IS function so that the IS can moves to correct the optics, one more extra path to drain the battery, so the lifetime may become shorter. ;)

70-200 f4L :thumbsup: sharp lens indeed! :thumbsup: IS if you can afford it....;) As for me, the non-IS version is good enough as most of the time, i shoot during the day eg rugby matches, at angkor wat etc

Although sometimes in an enclosed wet market in the day, or even a night market in bangkok, a f2.8L IS would come in handy. :) just my 2Cents worth....

Of cos! It's an extra mechanism needed to be driven besides the USM so therefore it drains batt faster, simple as that.

The battery need to supply power to operate the IS unit inside the lens when u activated the IS function so that the IS can moves to correct the optics, one more extra path to drain the battery, so the lifetime may become shorter. ;)

70-200 f4L :thumbsup: sharp lens indeed! :thumbsup: IS if you can afford it....;) As for me, the non-IS version is good enough as most of the time, i shoot during the day eg rugby matches, at angkor wat etc

Although sometimes in an enclosed wet market in the day, or even a night market in bangkok, a f2.8L IS would come in handy. :) just my 2Cents worth....

Thank You Peeps. great help indeed.

The 70-200 is very sharp wide open edge-to-edge at F4. Impressive lens.

Hmm, instead of getting a the F2.8 IS version, i suggest why not get the F4 IS ver at half that price, and get a really good prime lens for low light shoot. When the light goes down, sometimes one stop diff may not be enuf. The F4 IS is very portable and wont weigh u down. The F2.8 version is about 1.46kg, boy, thats like carrying a full 1.5L Coke bottle whole day on your shoulders and neck, try for 30mins ok, after a few hours that 1.4kg feels like double the weight. Lagi worse if use with a heavy body
If you use the flash primarily, the one stop diff may not be significant. I would choose the lighter one.
As a walkabout, the F4 is good, lgiht and sharp. For more "serious" shoots where one stop of light would be useful, the extra bokeh is desirable and weight is no longer a impt factor, then F2.8 IS.

Last edited:
If one wants to take shots handheld at very low lightings, might as well get primes as they've much larger apertures. f/2.8 will not cut it at those very low lightings.

I'm also think of getting the f4L IS version.

Currently I'm playing with the 24-105mm. With some experience with 105mm, I somehow find that 200mm may be too short for me or the different may not be sufficient.

Any similar comments?

I'm also think of getting the f4L IS version.

Currently I'm playing with the 24-105mm. With some experience with 105mm, I somehow find that 200mm may be too short for me or the different may not be sufficient.

Any similar comments?

200mm sufficient or not depends on what u'll be shooting. For me 200mm is a little bit short on my 5D but sufficient on a 1.6x.

love my 70-200 f4 Non-IS..

no problem with it..damn satis with it.

worth every $700 i paid for it..UWxxxx code some more..:bsmilie:

see my flickr for some eg..you will know which one is taken on this babe..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davios/sets/72157611435521525/

either it is the 10-22 or the 70-200..so quite easy to spot.

:thumbsup: MTL!

Last edited:
I'm also thinking of getting the f4L IS version soon..now saving up...

I need the 70-200 for a in-house function.
Sometimes, I need to zoom from a distance and I will be using 580EXMK2.
The function room may not be brightly lit, is F4 good to handle such condition?

so on a 1.6 crop 40d body, it gives you 112-320mm?

I love 70-200 F4L very much, it is sharp, light and handy.

If you dun hv enough cash to get the IS version, it is worth to try this work around.
In low light situation, on top of ISO, use high speed continuous shots (3+ fps on 4xxD body or 6+ fps on xxD body).

Out of the many continuous pics taken, high chance that there is still at least 1 shot that is good and free from shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.