Is 50D a good buy now?

Learnphotography

Apr 18, 2009
Singapore
I'm thinking to buy a midrange DSLR. I was planning to wait for D90 replacement/Canon 60D but i think that they will be over my budget. I do not want to spend more than $1500 on body only. I wld like to spend $ on lens and a flashgun.

Looking at CS canon price-list, the 50D is pretty close to D90. May i ask if its very value for money now? Please give me yr most unbiased comments as i know this is a canon forum.!

before you start shortlisting any models for consideration, first you gotta identify what features you need. Which camera body do you have currently?

50D body price has pretty much remained steady around $1500 for the past 7 months already so im pretty sure it wont drop much further.

Also do take note that although the canon 50D and nikon D90 are both advanced amateur bodies, they cannot be directly compared as each has different strengths.

Generally, the 50D has better features but lacks video capability. The 50D is also more expensive if i rmb correctly.

the body is definitely better then XXXD series.

let me know if u are buying cos i hope to share purchase with u to get the flash at promo price if u dun mind. :)

I'm thinking to buy a midrange DSLR. I was planning to wait for D90 replacement/Canon 60D but i think that they will be over my budget. I do not want to spend more than $1500 on body only. I wld like to spend $ on lens and a flashgun.

Looking at CS canon price-list, the 50D is pretty close to D90. May i ask if its very value for money now? Please give me yr most unbiased comments as i know this is a canon forum.!

The 60D, if it exists, will be within your budget.

It's very good for the price these days IMO.

If there ever is a 60D then it may be a fairly big change with some of the features of the 7D but who knows?

You'll definitely pay a large premium for it on release and the price will take quite some time to drop, by which time you might be wondering about the next release.

If you like the 50D and it does what you need it to then I think it's a good choice...:thumbsup:

First thing... what camera are u using now? Nikon or Canon? Or was this the first DSLR u are going to get? If you are already using the Nikon and had some lens for it, why do you want to jump ship to Canon, and vice-versa. If you do not have any of these camera, then I would assume that you might want to get the kit lens too... which will up your budget to 2k+.

If you already own a camera with lens (be it Canon or Nikon), you must also look into why you wanted an upgrade, was it because you did not like the feel, the IQ or what?

After all these are ruled out, then you would be clearer on what you want to get. Also don't forget to check on other brands of camera too - Pentax, Olympus and Sony. They too produce camera of the same class as D90 and 50D.

P.S. I think the camera of the same class as 50D (Canon) is D300 (Nikon) and the same class to 7D (Canon) is D300s (Nikon). So if you want a comparism you should be looking at 50D and D300.

Last edited:
60d have been list for release in september for dxo optics modules.

I still remember there was a time when I was choosing between 50D and 450D, in the end I got the 450D instead.

Personally it's true that for 50D you get a "faster" & "bigger" body, however the IQ in high ISO is not something to be brag about. Coming to age, correct me if I am wrong even the entry level 550D have better high ISO IQ than the 50D. :think:

I still remember there was a time when I was choosing between 50D and 450D, in the end I got the 450D instead.

Personally it's true that for 50D you get a "faster" & "bigger" body, however the IQ in high ISO is not something to be brag about. Coming to age, correct me if I am wrong even the entry level 550D have better high ISO IQ than the 50D. :think:

A camera body isnt just about IQ. Built, efficiency and control are of higher value to people than IQ.

A camera body isnt just about IQ. Built, efficiency and control are of higher value to people than IQ.

Maybe it's personal, but for me in a body I look for IQ more than anything else.

For efficiency and control, I am equally fast in my 450D and 5DM2, as well when I use a 40D and 7D. It's whether or not if you are familiar with the controls of your equipment.

Even if I am given a choice between the 40D & 50D, I would gladly take the 40D any day. Other than a higher resolution screen and micro AF function, there is nothing in the 50D that seem to be me (subjective) like an improvement.

Of course, if given a choice between the 50D & 7D. I would not hesitate to choose the 7D instead. Other than the IQ, speed, flash commander, focusing, video, etc... is really worth paying for the extra than the aged 50D.

For some who feedback that the xxxD series is too small for their taste, my advise is literally to get a "grip". Having it give me the ability to choose whether to go little or "full-battle order".

Last edited: