Iran - in October

hanz170

Jan 23, 2005
Tampines
I am planning a personal holiday with wifey and starting this thread to gather information from obtaining VISA prior to arrival to traveling tips and local accommodation bookings in advance.

I have seen the following post by fellow CSer posted here as following:
pkong1008
oeyvind
vogriphach
nikonology
along83

I read there is no Credit Card usage in this country to UN Embargo so how to make payments? I don't want to be carrying cash with me. I only have 2 weeks so am planning with this itinerary in mind:
Tehran - Kashan - Isfahan - Mesr Desert - Yazd - Bavanat Village – Shiraz

I would love to hear any helpful pointers and guidance, I found out that VISA on arrival is available at the Airport but it is lengthy wait, 2-3hrs so I am trying to find ways to get VISA prior to arrival, we are both Singaporeans.

Another concern is what type of payment is accepted in Iran? I hear Credit Cards don't work there, not comfortable carrying cash too.. what are the alternative best options?

I joined a conducted tour group here. I remember the Iran tour agency that took us was Iran Doostan Tour. They gave us a souvenir each.
Google:
http://irandoostan.com/

BTW, we all were told to bring US Dollars.

Anyone went to Iran without going through Tour Agency ? If yes, how do book the hotels ? Any hotels can recommend in Tehran, Yazd, Shiraz, Isfahan & Abadeh ?

I would love to hear any helpful pointers and guidance, I found out that VISA on arrival is available at the Airport but it is lengthy wait, 2-3hrs so I am trying to find ways to get VISA prior to arrival, we are both Singaporeans.

VISA ... either go through Travel Agency or apply in Iran Embassy (in KL). It may take between 5-10 working days but pay extra 50% ..will get in same day or next day.

VISA ... either go through Travel Agency or apply in Iran Embassy (in KL). It may take between 5-10 working days but pay extra 50% ..will get in same day or next day.

Thanks for the information, I prefer to have VISA at hand before travelling, I might just choose this option. Hmm.. National day might be a good day to go to KL for this since holiday only in SG not KL.

Do not worry at all, many of the Iranian tour agencies and operators offer you a domestic tourist card you can pay and buy goods in Iran such as this one Exchanging money is also easy and available even in small cities.

Visited Iran in 2017 - some useful info :-

visa - required. get your travel agent to apply. easier than sending passport to KL embassy.

travel insurance - buy one which clearly states it covers Iran. Otherwise, you will be required to buy one on the spot when collecting your visa at the airport.

Currency - USD or EURO is accepted. change some at the airport and along the way. change back at the airport on return flight.

Let me know if you need a guide, and also any other info.