IR with nikon D800

eng60232

Mar 19, 2006
Hi

Has anyone tried doing IR with a 590nm filter using a nikon D800?
I have not been able to set the white balance with the filter on the lens.
Without filter I was able to preset WB easily but with the filter, i keep getting
A "no good".

Anyone knows how to solve this??
Thank you

Hi

Has anyone tried doing IR with a 590nm filter using a nikon D800?
I have not been able to set the white balance with the filter on the lens.
Without filter I was able to preset WB easily but with the filter, i keep getting
A "no good".

Anyone knows how to solve this??
Thank you
extend the exposure time till you get "good", you will need to shoot with tripod for using IR filter.

I guess you didn't follow my advice previously.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1326240

Catchlights - I followed it until my exposure was 10s at F22.. This is about 3-4 stops overexpose but the camera still show "no good".

That is why I am still lost and repost. Do I extend the exposure time or shutter speed further ignoring the overexposure or how?

Please advice. Thank You

The hot filter already cut down most the IR ray, very little IR ray reach the sensor, and IR filter filters out all the visble lights, so you need to increase the exposure to capture enough IR ray, you need to lengthen the exposure time or open up lens aperture or both.

Hi Catchlights..Thanks for the advice.. I will try again tomorrow..

There are 3 factors I believe are the reasons why you cant set the WB correctly.

1. If you're using 590nm filter, use a neutral color to set WB. That is, shoot a white or gray subject to set WB
2. Based on my limited experience, Nikon models starting from D90 onwards are having difficulty setting WB with 590nm filter
3. Most unmodified camera will have difficulty setting WB with 590nm filter. The camera has to allow a lot of IR light for this to be possible