IR photography using D90

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronaldlsh

Dec 8, 2008
Just got a D90 recently, and im really interested in infared photography. Which filter should i get? Im using 18-55mm, and 55-200mm at the moment.

Thanks. :)

Just got a D90 recently, and im really interested in infared photography. Which filter should i get? Im using 18-55mm, and 55-200mm at the moment.

Get an infrared filter a tripod.

IR filter like the Cokin P007 or the Hoya R72 works fine. Different prices tho.

The tripod is to mount for the longer exposure times required.

Hope this helps.

I've got the tripod already. Now just need to get the filter. What is the diff between cokin and hoya?

Thanks anyway ^^ :)

I got the cokin cos it's the P type and basically mounts onto the lens via an adapter. This way, it doesnt bother me what sized the lens is : 67mm, 72mm, 77mm etc.... Basically, it's cheaper... haha.... about $37 from CP.

For the Hoya one, it's more ex and also specific for a diameter only. It looks like a normal filter save for the glass which is an IR pass material. Not sure about the price, but remembered it's $100+

Alright thanks ianwurn. Time to head down to CP to take a look. Haha.

what you generally see online and in the ir section here is r72.

cokin gives different results, because iirc, it allows more light through.

it really depends on you. there are many other variations, giving different results and tones.

I bought the filter. Still cant get what i want to achieve, after reading and trying and reading and trying. Now i wonder if my lens can do infrared photography... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.