Ip Man is a good movie !

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what my understanding on Wing Chun, it's designed based on direct defense and attack from start, i.e. self-defense skill, similar to Karate. While the rest of the traditional Chinese Martial Art (including Tai Qi), is designed based on body strengthening and skill all round plus postures. The defense and attack skill comes along the way with a stronger body and skill. So they are of totally different in nature.

I only learned wing chun and cannot comment on the others. Fully agree wing chun is a no-frills combat art. Didn't quite understand what it means by "skill all round plus postures". In wing chun, you need to make sure your stance is right and the arms are placed correctly too (as for effective defense and attack). True that wing chun is not brute force but the sifu told us its the power from the joint (don't ask me what this means, I am just repeating what he told me).

My previous remarks was mainly on 'practise slow, use fast'. My sifu's explanation was that if you cannot do it right slowly, trying to practise fast is just hiding the errors (hard to spot).

I liked the movie a lot.

I'm skeptical when it comes to Donnie Yen (owing to how bad I thought SPL was. my personal opinion, obviously) but in this show, he managed to portray Master Yip Man as he was. poised, in control, and at peace with oneself.

I would love to watch the cantonese version of it. I'm also crossing my fingers and hoping that the DVD will be out before I jet back to Australia. couple of my mates there want to watch it, but seeing how they tend to have massively long delays when it comes to the release of asian cinema.... my DVD might prove to be their lifeline to seeing Donnie Yen give people an arse whooping!

I only learned wing chun and cannot comment on the others. Fully agree wing chun is a no-frills combat art. Didn't quite understand what it means by "skill all round plus postures". In wing chun, you need to make sure your stance is right and the arms are placed correctly too (as for effective defense and attack). True that wing chun is not brute force but the sifu told us its the power from the joint (don't ask me what this means, I am just repeating what he told me).

My previous remarks was mainly on 'practise slow, use fast'. My sifu's explanation was that if you cannot do it right slowly, trying to practise fast is just hiding the errors (hard to spot).

Exactly! Power from the joint!

BTW, what I'm trying to say is wing chun is not for show, its purely for self-defense. Unlike the traditional martial art, where itself can even make it into a dance piece.

Haha, at least found someone here who could understand wing chun!!!

i like the show..i like the general..:embrass:

Woot! The topic is still going... yeah... it is a very nice show.:thumbsup:

Very nice storyline. Not just any other action movie. My girl-friend shed tears when the hero was shot.so touching

Exactly! Power from the joint!

BTW, what I'm trying to say is wing chun is not for show, its purely for self-defense. Unlike the traditional martial art, where itself can even make it into a dance piece.

Haha, at least found someone here who could understand wing chun!!!

This is exactly what the problems facing movie directors and producers when making martial arts films as many forms of martial arts dun look good on cinema and they have to add, modify and improvise to make it look good on the big screen.

I din say this protion but remembered it from a documentary regarding HKG cinema and its kungfu films.

Although the film isn't too accurate regarding Wing Chun, its fight sqeuences are entertaining and this is what brings in the $$$.

I was in Guangzhou for the past 2 weeks. The non pirated DVD is already out and I got it for RMB 25. Very nice movie indeed, even though the underlying theme is not that much different from stories about 霍元甲 and 陈真 (精武门?). The kungfu scenes are very enjoyable.

My favourite line was "以为佛山个个都是黄飞鸿..." said disgruntedly by one of the peasants who went to challenge all the 武馆...

Watched it two days ago. Good show! Wow, are the fists of the Wing Chun masters really that fast? He continously punched the Japanese guy into the ground!

it's smooth as Aikido...i like the defensive moves... however, i think the attacks quite ruthless leh....i went ouch....for the guys..

Last edited:
i like the show..i like the general..:embrass:

Me Too Me Too!!

Especially the part which he was being bashed senseless into pighead towards the end of the movie! :bsmilie:

This is exactly what the problems facing movie directors and producers when making martial arts films as many forms of martial arts dun look good on cinema and they have to add, modify and improvise to make it look good on the big screen.

I din say this protion but remembered it from a documentary regarding HKG cinema and its kungfu films.

Although the film isn't too accurate regarding Wing Chun, its fight sqeuences are entertaining and this is what brings in the $$$.

Exactly. There is always a difference between a show vs reality. Just focus on the entertainment bits first and don't worry as long as the movie does not distort the history too much.

Very nice storyline. Not just any other action movie. My girl-friend shed tears when the hero was shot.so touching

at least yr gf cried.. i heard someone laughed at tat moment... :confused:

Watched it two days ago. Good show! Wow, are the fists of the Wing Chun masters really that fast? He continously punched the Japanese guy into the ground!

Its true the WC masters can be really fast.

In a fight, I wonder if one would continously punch the opponent to the ground, unless he wanna beat the opponent to pulp.

I'm can't wait for the DVD to release

China already have 3 version of this movie ...

Offical Date for the DVD to release is on 30-1-09 (base on a website in HK)

no doubt ! very nice movie indeed ! But i wonder if martial arts that good in reality?
I sure in reality, 10 persons to 1 person fight, that 1 person will sure die. Because if everyone chop a person from all directions at one time, i sure no self-defence can cover up the back. :bsmilie:

no doubt ! very nice movie indeed ! But i wonder if martial arts that good in reality?
I sure in reality, 10 persons to 1 person fight, that 1 person will sure die. Because if everyone chop a person from all directions at one time, i sure no self-defence can cover up the back. :bsmilie:

Krav Maga can block 7 out of 10 strikes. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.