Introductory Lesson To Bird Photogrphy

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a very informative session we had with Philip.
For sure I had learnt from his vast experience in bird photography
and will look forward to seeing more CSers pick up this genre.
Once again thanks to Philip for sharing his time with us and thanks
also to Samantha for organising this session.

rgds

Once again, would like to thank Philip for the informative talk and spacewalker for arranging the venue and the refreshments. Thanks to stinkyfoot17 for starting this gathering.

Was very nice of all of you to have this sharing session. Nice meeting some of you too :sweatsm:

Once again, would like to thank Philip for the informative talk and spacewalker for arranging the venue and the refreshments. Thanks to stinkyfoot17 for starting this gathering.

Was very nice of all of you to have this sharing session. Nice meeting some of you too :sweatsm:

Hi, Philip, thanks for the lesson. The photo looks beautiful, but behind that is very hardworking. We have learn a lot of from this afternoon. Once again. Thanks:thumbsup:

I thoroughly enjoyed the talk by Philip very much. It is an eye opener for me. I did not realize the Gitzo tripod could set one off by $1000+, a Wimberley Head another $1000+, not to mention the big gun of them all, the 600mm F/4L - $10,000....

Philip also introduced to us the Digiscope, a cheaper way to bring nature/bird closer to us.

I must say it is worth the distance I have to travel from Upp Bt Timah all the way to Sengkang. Hope to have the outing with Philip and the gang soon.

Thank you ,Philip , from the bottom of my heart and to Samantha for allowing us to use the comfortable conference room, not to mention the finger food and drink provided.

Raymond

Apologies for leaving so soon after the talk proper ended. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us Phil :) and also thanks to Samantha for organising.

THanks for Samatha and Philip for organising and sharing the info. I felt air con was a little cold but good venue nontheless. Very nice insight into the world of birding..

THanks for Samatha and Philip for organising and sharing the info. I felt air con was a little cold but good venue nontheless. Very nice insight into the world of birding..

Cold? Don't feel that leh (or maybe I too much fat so more insulation? :bsmilie:).

It is good to see more people with interest in this line of photography :)

I loved the lesson :D You guys may be wonder who I am. Well, I'm the 15 year old girl in grey shirt. Knpan reserved a place for me. [#31]. Haha. Informative lesson! Worth the travel. But aircon was freezing ): Nonetheless, thank you Phillip so much for sharing what you learnt from the past 5 years of experience. And thank you Samantha for the yummy finger food :heart: Anyway I wanted to share a picture which I took on the 8th August of a small bird but I'm not confident enough. But I'll share it here so I can learn more.
C & C welcomed!
DSC_3286-1.jpg

© CYNTHIA ; Sunset Way
8 August 2007
Nikon D70s, VR 400mm, f5.6, 1/800
Around 3pm, lighting was quite good. First time shooting a bird. Spotted it unintentionally.

Want to intro yourself?
I'm the guy who talk too much.:bsmilie:

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Are you the one who talks very fast? :bsmilie:

I loved the lesson :D You guys may be wonder who I am. Well, I'm the 15 year old girl in grey shirt. Knpan reserved a place for me. [#31]. Haha. Informative lesson! Worth the travel. But aircon was freezing ): Nonetheless, thank you Phillip so much for sharing what you learnt from the past 5 years of experience. And thank you Samantha for the yummy finger food :heart: Anyway I wanted to share a picture which I took on the 8th August of a small bird but I'm not confident enough. But I'll share it here so I can learn more.
C & C welcomed!

Hi Cynthia,

Not bad for a first timer. I believed after today's lesson, you should have a better idea on some of the mistakes that you have in your shot.

Let's start with the simple ones.

1) The red flower on the top right hand corner is abit distracting. Shifting your position slightly to the right might help to eliminate it from the frame. Otherwise, shoot in vertical format to include more of the flower so that it act as a 'subject' for the bird.

2) White patches in the background.That should be the sky that show through the leaf if I am not mistaken? Shifting to the right might help to reduce that.

3) Your picture appear to be abit soft. Using an aperture of F/8 should help to improve it's sharpness. But well, I can't complain much since I know how 'well' this lens perform.

There are a few more points but I shall not scare you off on your first attempt :bsmilie: My word of advice, observe and practice more and you will get to see that perfect shot soon ;)

As an encouragement, this is how my first attempt look like when I first started 3 years back.

SBG12062004-005.jpg

Haha okay! Thanks for the tips. The bird was on the tree with alot of branches. Took over 20 shots ): And the lens was quite heavy too. I walked around and used AF-C. It was near the flower cause it was getting nectar too haha. My dad says it's alright. Advice noted! Thank you!

Haha okay! Thanks for the tips. The bird was on the tree with alot of branches. Took over 20 shots ): And the lens was quite heavy too. I walked around and used AF-C. It was near the flower cause it was getting nectar too haha. My dad says it's alright. Advice noted! Thank you!

You are welcome. With D70s, you might get better result with AF-S. The AF-C can't really make it :sweat:

You are welcome. With D70s, you might get better result with AF-S. The AF-C can't really make it :sweat:

YA LOR! Hiyo! The AF-C takes when out of focus too ): Haha nevermind I will try harder next time. the D200 soooo much better. Haha!

thanks for the all hospitality you organisers provided(esp the food). learnt much especially about Rear Curtain Sync and Guide number, which i am confused at.

thanks to philp, samantha, and smelly leg who sat beside me in the conference room.

here is my shot which is......... BLOWN!!!!!!!!!!!! (taken more than 4 - 5 months ago i think)
i get what it takes to take a non blown high light already, thanks to philip again.

http://knpan.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album09&id=abd

thanks for the all hospitality you organisers provided(esp the food). learnt much especially about Rear Curtain Sync and Guide number, which i am confused at.

thanks to philp, samantha, and smelly leg who sat beside me in the conference room.

here is my shot which is......... BLOWN!!!!!!!!!!!! (taken more than 4 - 5 months ago i think)
i get what it takes to take a non blown high light already, thanks to philip again.

http://knpan.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album09&id=abd

Your flash power is too strong. Also take note of the silver eyes caused by either the build in flash or flash that is mounted directly on the hotshoe (this is also the reason why we use a flash bracket).

If I hear of a series of bank robberies tommorow morning, I know who to point the finger at. :bsmilie:

Better delete those photos taken in the conference room! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.