Internet Subscriptions, Which One?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drudkh

Mar 2, 2004
lulu island
I'm a current Starhub MaxOnline 2000 subscriber and thinking of upgrading to either Starhub MaxOnline 6500 or SingNet 10Mbps. I'm considering these 2 options:

Starhub MaxOnline 6500
- 2 years contract
- $71.82 (w/GST) monthly
- 6.5 Mbps download speed
- 384 Kbps upload speed
- Compaq Presario Notebook V2000 @ $299
- Free Cable Modem ???

SingNet 10Mbps Unlimited
- 3 years contract
- $88.00 (w/GST) monthly
- 10Mbps download speed
- 1Mbps upload speed
- Free IBM Thinkpad R50E (consider upgrade to T43 @ $539)
- Free 2Wire ADSL2+ wireless modem
- One-Time registration fee of $42 applies

Wondering if there's any SingNet 10Mbps subscribers here and would like your input on the service.

Edit: made some corrections.

Starhug LAGonline is starting to lag quite badly especially when it hits a timing between 8pm to wee hours .. :rolleyes:

SingNet more consistent. But if your phone line isn't that good in quality and your attenuation is high. You get very bad rates as well and instability of the line.

My take - Go for Singnet.

pac net is good... but their after sales just sucks... after 2 years, they just forget about you... no loyalty scheme, no watever promo to keep u going on... and when u wanna terminate, have to pay another termination fee... ... ... so just up to u...

Honestly I don't see the point in upgrading. Well, maybe if you're a gamer. Although it will be interesting when the new service providers come in. The lappies aren't really dat great anyway :dunno:

don't signed for 3 yrs..why let them tied you down. :thumbsd:

I currently using MOL 6500. When I sign it, it was MOL 3000 and the wireless B is just enough for me. But now, I need a LAN cable n card to get the Max.

So, I decided to go Singtel liao. Even tied down also no choice. At least the phone jack is near by my PC and also, I will get a laptop and modem ;p Laptop give to my wife and she need not disturb my PC liao. haha!

But if you are a gamer, Singnet is better than Starhub. My colleague term his MOL service n join Singnet. He pay for the penalty which he don't mind as he is playing online games. MOL customer service SXXXX anyway, you can boil one kettle of water n you still put on hold. :bsmilie: :bigeyes:

If you go SingNet, do make sure your telephone line condition is good like what others have commented. And if possible, use a seperate telephone line too.

For starhub, its good if you

- already have Starhub mobile + cable TV. Then you will be enrolled into their HUB club for slightly more discount.

- dont play online games.

- Less hassle for non IT people. Just plug and play.

Thanks for all the feedback.
I thought SingNet provide a small phone filter, so one jack goes to the modem and one goes to the phone? :dunno: and that should not interfere?

I'm not sure if i want to get tied for 3 years too. :confused:
I'm not really bothered about the goodies, but the service.

if i am not wrong, the microfilter filtered out the voice signal so that if someone call, it won't interfere with your data traffic when you are online.
they didn't provide me with the microfilter when i signed for broadband with singnet the last time..years ago. not sure if that changed.

Lenscapes said:
if i am not wrong, the microfilter filtered out the voice signal so that if someone call, it won't interfere with your data traffic when you are online.
they didn't provide me with the microfilter when i signed for broadband with singnet the last time..years ago. not sure if that changed.

They provide 2, the 3rd one onward have to purchase cost about $6-7.
Just switch to singnet, faster during peak hour. more stable.

hmmm Okay, looks like i'll jump! :devil:
but the minimum i sign have to be 2 years right?

Drudkh said:
sign the 3 year take the lap top. a good buy. me sign too early liao.:cry: :cry: :cry:

is the compaq notebook good?? any comments..

may consider signing up with MOL so me no need to fight with bro..
a

Drudkh said:
there are 1 year contract(singnet) but they won't tell you about it. you got to dig them for it. :)

singnet :thumbsup:

soma said:
sign the 3 year take the lap top. a good buy. me sign too early liao.:cry: :cry: :cry:
But the 3 year bond seems too long though, and I heard next year or so will launch wireless islandwide broadband after the various companies had acquired the licences early this year? :confused: if I upgrade the notebook to the T43, is quite a bargain since that model is a very reliable one (my friend has been using/testing it for his company), just that there's no "Windows" key in the keyboard.

Lenscapes said:
there are 1 year contract(singnet) but they won't tell you about it. you got to dig them for it.
They do? I'll check it out. Thanks!

Nov 21, 2005
Cheaper broadband not just for new users

I REFER to the article 'Cheaper broadband, finally' by Alfred Siew (ST, Nov 15).
As a loyal customer of SingNet since my first dial-up connection in December 1997, I was appalled to find that SingNet has 'quietly' reduced its broadband rate of 512Kbps to new customers from $45 to $36.75 a month.

By signing customers to a contract, SingNet has effectively locked in existing customers' choice of Internet service provider (ISP). Customers are locked in to SingNet with a contractual commitment of two to three years.

Customers are discouraged from switching to a rival ISP by penalties of early termination and the inconvenience of changing one's e-mail account.

Lock-in has serious implications when the ISP practises price discrimination. It is unfair for existing customers to know such a strategy is practised to increase profits by charging lower prices to non-customers who have a lower valuation of the service, while existing users can only look on.

By practising such discrimination, SingNet risks losing its name as the leading ISP in Singapore. My fellow loyal SingNet users and I agreed such marketing tactics could change our decision to stay with SingNet.

Singapore broadband service already lags behind other places like South Korea and Hong Kong.

By liberalising the market with lower prices, ISPs can make broadband available to everyone - which will benefit SingNet as well from the positive network externalities analysed by Mr Siew.

With lower price disparity, more dial-up consumers will find it rewarding to switch to broadband.

Thus, I urge SingNet to cut prices across its customer base, for both higher profits and consumer benefits.

Huang Junxiang

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,354028,00.html?

only singnet 3 yr contract got laptop?
2 years dun have?

microfilters also will spoil...as i found out...recently...juz changed my phone wires and one microfilter (bought from singnet...the black one)...before that my line keeps disconnecting and signal undetectable. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.