Internet connection is s-o s-l-o-w

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is not just about taiwan.. the earthquake was a large scale one deep into the pacific ocean.. heard from radio that 6 cables at hongkong, china and hongkong all affected. :sticktong

sad man, don knw the internet will be down for how long. Zzzzz

Link to Taiwan cause it is cheaper??? I dont get it leh.... Why need to link to Taiwan to surf other oversea site???

I think the local telcos are just small players so they buy bandwidth from the bigger telcos (probably from Taiwan or Japan) to connect to the US backbone. Anyway, so much for the internet being able to survive a single point of failure.

The earthquake is really one bad nature disaster.. look at recent stuff like China Fog, Asia Monsoon Season... now.. quakey... oh dear

I think the local telcos are just small players so they buy bandwidth from the bigger telcos (probably from Taiwan or Japan) to connect to the US backbone. Anyway, so much for the internet being able to survive a single point of failure.

Oh... that answer me.. like us buy line from our Local ISP. hmm. Until now then I know these... my bad :cool:

Link to Taiwan cause it is cheaper??? I dont get it leh.... Why need to link to Taiwan to surf other oversea site???

i dun think it is the cost.. becos taiwan and hongkong are centralised locations in Asia Pacific Rim. With them .. it serves as entry points to China, North Asia and USA

it is like that.

many users think internet is like vapour in the air.. actually the real fact is that there are much physical cabling from sea to land..

there is another way ! via space... like World Cup telecast..but very expensive. :sweat:

woo.... it break my curiousity! gam xia leh! wonder how they bury the pipe... dive in and do it? man.... what a great knowledge... Discovery should feature this as Man-Made Marvel. keke

it is like that.

many users think internet is like vapour in the air.. actually the real fact is that there are much physical cabling from sea to land..

there is another way ! via space... like World Cup telecast..but very expensive. :sweat:

Satellites in space and satellite dishes on the ground.

woo.... it break my curiousity! gam xia leh! wonder how they bury the pipe... dive in and do it? man.... what a great knowledge... Discovery should feature this as Man-Made Marvel. keke

Yes, they did, either NatGeo or Discovery had a documentary on these cables some years ago.

how they lay the pipe or cable ? well.. they get a big ship and rolled down the cables just like your toilet paper roll as they sailed thru the ocean. They also have professional divers... to go down to do some connection or checking work.

it is a very expensive project to lay submarine cables. :sweat:

how they lay the pipe or cable ? well.. they get a big ship and rolled down the cables just like your toilet paper roll as they sailed thru the ocean. They also have professional divers... to go down to do some connection or checking work.

it is a very expensive project to lay submarine cables. :sweat:

Oh... yuan lai ru ci... Respect those Divers/ Technician!

roger that SEA-ME-WE-3 is down.. this cable is used by Starhub / SingTel to Taiwan then to Japan and beyond (includes the US).

SingTel and Stahub corporate global helpdesk is going ape over this. their lines are jammed when i tried to call 4 hours ago.

roger that SEA-ME-WE-3 is down.. this cable is used by Starhub / SingTel to Taiwan then to Japan and beyond (includes the US).

SingTel and Stahub corporate global helpdesk is going ape over this. their lines are jammed when i tried to call 4 hours ago.

i guess they will reach a level of understanding.. that they have no choice but to accept the fact it is damaged. Maybe buy and build another cable solely for Singapore usage ?? anyway we are rich country.

i guess they will reach a level of understanding.. that they have no choice but to accept the fact it is damaged. Maybe buy and build another cable solely for Singapore usage ?? anyway we are rich country.

Eh, I don't think we got economy of scale to have just one country using a subsea cable (actually it's a whole bunch of optic fibres and not just 1 single cable). Anyway Singtel has investments in satellite (ST-1) and subsea cable (C2C), so theoretically Singapore does "own" such impressive stuff.

Here's some latest news, repairs may take 2-3 weeks:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aDVUKavFPodw&refer=home
http://hk.news.yahoo.com/061227/12/1ywl6.html
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/12/27/internet.asia.reut/

Status
Not open for further replies.