International Warranty

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi guys,I would like some comment or advice from fellow CS'ers with regards to the international warranty issue.

Let's say if u were to purchase a Sigma lens from HK & the shop owner offered u a 3 years int'l warranty,is it still applicable here in Singapore?Will Sigma be able to honour it if something happens to the lens.

For that matter,I called up Sigma & a lady says that usually, whichever brand of lens comes with 12 mths of warranty.If it is an int'l warranty,then it must be bought from an authorised dealer.Only then,will Sigma be able to honour the repair or whatsoever.

But my concern is that,anyone anywhere can tell u his or their shop is authorised to sell whichever brand but how true is that?There is no way to verify how reliable it is.& by posting (B&S Section) that a certain lens still has 24 months of international warranty,how can that be???

When the lady at Sigma says that int'l warranty is valid for 12 mths only (any brand) & it must be bought at an authorised dealer for the warranty to be valid.Can someone comment or shed some light on this issue?

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment!

Last edited:
Hi guys,I would like some comment or advice from fellow CS'ers with regards to the international warranty issue.Let's say if u were to purchase a Sigma lens from HK & the shop owner offered u a 3 years int'l warranty,is it still applicable here in Singapore?Will Sigma be able to honour it if something happens to the lens.For that matter,I called up Sigma & a lady says that usually, whichever brand of lens comes with 12 mths of warranty.If it is an int'l warranty,then it must be bought from an authorised dealer.Only then,will Sigma be able to honour the repair or whatsoever.But my concern is that,anyone anywhere can tell u his or their shop is authorised to sell whichever brand but how true is that?There is no way to verify how reliable it is.& by posting (B&S Section) that a certain lens still has 24 months of international warranty,how can that be??? When the lady at Sigma says that int'l warranty is valid for 12 mths only (any brand) & it must be bought at an authorised dealer for the warranty to be valid.Can someone comment or shed some light on this issue? Thanks in advance for the enlightenment!

You can check this by looking at the warranty card. The local HK copies come with a silver Hologram sticker with the sigma character. The warranty card also need to be stamped with the authorized dealer's stamp, and a corresponding reciept from the same store be provided. And last I read, Sigma international warranty is 1 year only. Please read this in detail....
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/consumers-corner/635497-hong-kong-camera-gears-shopping-guide.html#post5769222

Last edited:
gawd ha ha ha !!! ... use paragraphs ..... broke up your post into a few digestible paras to make for everyone's easier reading....

daredevil123 said:
You can check this by looking at the warranty card. The local HK copies come with a silver Hologram sticker with the sigma character. The warranty card also need to be stamped with the authorized dealer's stamp, and a corresponding reciept from the same store be provided. And last I read, Sigma international warranty is 1 year only. Please read this in detail....
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/consumers-corner/635497-hong-kong-camera-gears-shopping-guide.html#post5769222

And your lens will not enjoy the two times free calibration from the local distro. When buying a sigma party lens from HK, make sure the savings is at least S$300 than local price. Then pray hard that your lens need no calibration.

For Sigma's international warranty,

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/sigma-tamron-tokina/392519-international-warranty-sigma.html

Dear Sir,
We are puzzled why you don't want to consider buying from Singapore? (If you have not already bought). Maybe you are not aware, many of the Retailers in your home Country (Singapore) gives extended period of Warrant. Secondly, To answer, your question re International warranty, yes you are entitle to use International Warranty at any authorized Sigma Service Centre, but it is "limited" warranty, T & C applies.
Thank you for your support.
BEST Regards,
Sigma Marketing (Singapore)

Anyway, that is for Sigma only. For other brands - for example, Canon do not honour international warranty as far as I know, all lenses and camera body bought outside Singapore are consider as Grey Sets and do not have warranty. As for Nikon, I think lenses that are bought outside the country can still receive international warranty with no problem are all, but body wise, Nikon Singapore do not honour that warranty.

As for Panasonic (not sure about the body) but the lenses wise, they are okay. Olympus is the same.

Ok thanx for the info Rhino...