Installing CPU chip on old lenses?

benfires

Dec 3, 2014
Singapore
Hi all, as title says;

Anyone know a service or shop in Singapore that does this?
I'm interested to add a CPU chip to my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AI, and maybe some other old lenses I got.

Cheers!

Hi all, as title says;

Anyone know a service or shop in Singapore that does this?
I'm interested to add a CPU chip to my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AI, and maybe some other old lenses I got.

Cheers!

I doubt if there is any shop that would want to do this kind of business, it's a can of worms.
There is no gauranty that it will work "perfectly" imagine the customer coming back asking why this
and that it's not working.Businesses would prefer to take the money and "run".There are websites that
want US$400 just for the chip.To give a low down it's not a cpu chip in that there's no cpu as most people know it but simply an E/EPROM = electrically erasable/programable or one time programable ( non eraserable, one way ticket so to speak) memory chip.It's purpose is to report what lens is being mounted and details like aperture to camera so that depending on the firmware/operating system of the camera allow functioning between it and the lens like metering ,etc.

Another thing is that resourceful hackers hack into the camera system take advantage of it's workings.Do note that the hacked chip works to a certain extent on older Nikon digital cameras
as they have the AI mechanical linkage like D700.Those that do not at best can access the metering function and reporting of lens data to exif file.

If you really want to use manual legacy Nikon lenses then spend the money on the Nikon DF and
save yourself the headache. Not all lenses can be converted and the metering may not be accurate because newer cameras use E- diaphram ( electronic), a linear progression of opening and closing diaphram of newer digital lenses vs some non linear older diaphrams in old manual lenses hence inaccurate metering unless there is a stopped down mode vs full aperture mode.In essence the module is glued down and depending on the skill may move with time making realignment of the contacts neccessary. If you still die hard it would be cheaper to use a external exposure meter but many would want the matrix metering capability and lens data reporting instead of inputing lens data everytime manual lens is used. Take note that Nikon would have further crippled the newer cameras, it's a business decision.

Here is how it's done. For telephoto lens this article using teleconvertor TC-16 make
interesting reading.

Last edited: