Inquiry Concert Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

skunk2saint

Dec 24, 2008
Singapore
I'm using a 1000d and very new in the world of photography. I must admit this hobby required upgrades and a lot of bread for lenses. But im glad that there are place that i can rent lenses. Really save my money. I would like to seek ur knowledge regarding LENSE. Ill be attending an acoustic concert in esplanade soon in their recital room (250 seats), What are the lenses i can use? Any recommendation? Which are good for indoor concerts? Thanks Guys. Hope you can help me!;p

You would problalby want fast lenses if flash photography is not allowed. The focal length woudl depend on how close you can get to the performers also. You might be able to get by with a 17-55/2.8 if you cna get close or of not rent a 85 ot 135 prime for more reach :)

I'm using a 1000d and very new in the world of photography. I must admit this hobby required upgrades and a lot of bread for lenses. But im glad that there are place that i can rent lenses. Really save my money. I would like to seek ur knowledge regarding LENSE. Ill be attending an acoustic concert in esplanade soon in their recital room (250 seats), What are the lenses i can use? Any recommendation? Which are good for indoor concerts? Thanks Guys. Hope you can help me!;p

You may want to consider a 70200/F2.8 IS? Up the ISO and open up the aperture. May help in capturing the performance.

Perhaps you could do with 70-200mm f/2.8L IS with 1.4X extender? :) Perhaps other experts can advise you more on it.

Not to pour cold water, but you better check if photography is allowed at all... I attended a musical at the Esplanade, and it was forbidden... Same for students' performance at University Cultural Center

Very much depends on are you the official photographer or not.

If you are allow to move around the hall during the concert..... then 17-55mm f2.8 or the tammy 17-50mm f2.8 would be good for wide shots. While the 70-200mm f2.8 IS would be good for close up..... 70-200mm f4 IS also can, if you increase the ISO.... by alot.

If you are just going for the concert..... - cancan7 - is right.... you might not be allow to take photos at all. :sweat:

It's pretty bright there actually, I performed there once.

You can shoot at ISO 1000, at F4, with a shutter of about 1/40. You should roughly know which lens you would need to use.

If you're the official photographer, there is limited space to walk, so you should get a tele zoom lens (from 70-200, 300) should be more than enough.

The above settings is for plain concert lighting, and not suggested for performances with change of lighting.

Not to pour cold water, but you better check if photography is allowed at all... I attended a musical at the Esplanade, and it was forbidden... Same for students' performance at University Cultural Center

Ya man, my camera have to be left outside the bagging room when I attended a musical there at esplanade. Even for concert at indoor stadium I also cannot bring my camera there....

I've shot there before. Even if you are the official photographer, you have limited freedom to move about. Also they are very particular about the shutter sound.

I've shot there before. Even if you are the official photographer, you have limited freedom to move about. Also they are very particular about the shutter sound.

I would be too if I've paid good money.... and kept hearing camera clicks going off..... :bsmilie:

I would suggest you keep the 1000D and not shoot at all....

do you know how disruptive the shutter sound is during a recital?

u sure they allow u to bring in anot? :think:

yeah. i'm curious too. I think can't shoot.

I'm attending a friend's recital at esplanade too....since i can't shoot(told by my friend,no camera)...i think my camera will stay in the dry cab...not gonna leave it in some lockers or in somebody's hands....

buy 5d mkII and shoot video. no shutter sound. get a 400mm 2.8L too since it's low light + you need the reach.

buy 5d mkII and shoot video. no shutter sound. get a 400mm 2.8L too since it's low light + you need the reach.

That is a pretty heavy purchase for a shoot. :)

To TS, if you are allowed to shoot, maybe can rent a camera that handles noise better.

Actually for concert shooting... normally Spot Metering is used... However understanding that the 1000D, I advise you to use Partial Metering instead. :)

Actually for concert shooting... normally Spot Metering is used... However understanding that the 1000D, I advise you to use Partial Metering instead. :)

I would disagree. Maybe spot-metering is used for the initial exposure checks, but classical concerts don't really have changing light. I would use manual.

But since it's a rather small recital studio, please do not bring any camera inside. As a performer myself, I don't like to hear the shutter going off when I'm performing.

Simple, most likely they (either production company or esplanade itself) have engaged a company to do the recording of the event and so having 3rd party photographers and videographers may decrease sales of the video/photos made for commercial use. thats what was explained to me when i asked the security guard on a past event at esplanade. But there are exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.