increased my budget, so now what to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclaine

Aug 29, 2008
IMH
hey all, sorry to disturb again, after checking my savings and selling off my stuff, i've around 1.2k budget, played around with my friend's 450D and felt, screw it, just go for a DSLR instead even though the bulk is a bit of trouble.

with that budget, what would you guys recommend? hoping there's a good xmas sale in dec but without letting my hopes go too high and being a 'kiasu' guy who likes to do alot of 'homework' before purchase.. you get the picture

i was considering DSLR-A300X kit which includes (DT18-70mm, DT55-200mm)

EOS 450D Kit (EF S18-55IS) 1.3k?

and E-520 (i can't find the details on pricing here nor the web)

*edit:this part taken out* :)

indoor shots, office use, scenic, outings (i still havent take the picture of the #%@ lions)

Last edited:
Personally, I think it is a bit puzzling that you consider your purchase based on pictures sent to you taken by the kit lens.

How would you take into account the differences between a skilled photographer and a not-so skilled one?

If you wish to compare the ISO perfomances and such, I would think that DPreview is a better control than different pictures sent by other users.

My two cents is to go down to the shops and seen how your three (maybe two, since you tried out the 450D) shortlisted models handles.

Last edited:
The EOS 450D is a great choice with a raft of useful features for the new user. Street prices are about S$980 for the body alone and with the kit is about S$1150 or somewhere in that region.

between A300X, 450D and E-520, any owners care to send me their photo links?

Echoing what ahbian replied, you get a good user taking great pics with one particular kit lens, but another taking less than illustrious shots with different lens, it should not be the final determinant in the system.

The differences might be more of the focal range offered for the different zoom kit lens and the specifics of the bodies. A better option is ( after researching on the various models and the prices ) to go down to the shops and try out the bodies and see if the camera feels good in your hands.

Ryan

between A300X, 450D and E-520, any owners care to send me their photo links?
looking for the images with the default lens since dpreview have only limited pictures and all outdoors and no review for A300 only A200 and A350

indoor shots, office use, scenic, outings (i still havent take the picture of the #%@ lions)

I think it's totally useless to compare based on photos sent to you, as this will be dependent on the photographer, and any PP work he/she did.

Personally, I'd suggest going for the A300. You get a good sensor, best-in-class live view, a tilting LCD, in-body antishake, and the Sony kit lens is actually quite decent and gives you better reach than the canon kit lens.

Here's a review of the Sony kit lens:
http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-...0mm-f35-56-dt-review--lab-test-report?start=1

Here's a review of the Canon kit lens:
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/180-canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f35-56-ii-test-report--review?start=1

Most importantly, consider the ergonomics of the camera. IMHO, the Sony wins hands-down in that department, I find it much more comfortable to hold than the Canon.

also take into account the variety of lens and accessories between the different brands,
it's not just about buying the camera, unless u are gonna only use the kit lens

Personally, I think it is a bit puzzling that you consider your purchase based on pictures sent to you taken by the kit lens.

How would you take into account the differences between a skilled photographer and a not-so skilled one?

If you wish to compare the ISO perfomances and such, I would think that DPreview is a better control than different pictures sent by other users.

My two cents is to go down to the shops and seen how your three (maybe two, since you tried out the 450D) shortlisted models handles.

Echoing what ahbian replied, you get a good user taking great pics with one particular kit lens, but another taking less than illustrious shots with different lens, it should not be the final determinant in the system.

The differences might be more of the focal range offered for the different zoom kit lens and the specifics of the bodies. A better option is ( after researching on the various models and the prices ) to go down to the shops and try out the bodies and see if the camera feels good in your hands.

Ryan

the pictures part i would like to see.. even though the user may or may not be professional, but to let me know how it does *how it performs in good, and not so good hands*

Personally, I'd suggest going for the A300. You get a good sensor, best-in-class live view, a tilting LCD, in-body antishake, and the Sony kit lens is actually quite decent and gives you better reach than the canon kit lens.

Most importantly, consider the ergonomics of the camera. IMHO, the Sony wins hands-down in that department, I find it much more comfortable to hold than the Canon.

hmm k thanks i'll take a look at it :D

also take into account the variety of lens and accessories between the different brands,
it's not just about buying the camera, unless u are gonna only use the kit lens

for the time being most prob would be the kit lens first? im just near average in terms of income and savings, therefore after my purchase, it would be quite awhile before i would be able to buy more accessories, but definitely drybox on my priority list

i'm not able to really tell, besides E-520, whether the other 2 cameras can use the 4/3 lens?

Go get the D60 lah, it's priced about SGD 860 in Hong Kong or about SGD960 (last I heard) in Singapore.

the pictures part i would like to see.. even though the user may or may not be professional, but to let me know how it does *how it performs in good, and not so good hands*
You might as well check out the pics by the 3cameras when used in good hands. Even then it's not going to be accurate. Best way is still have a feel of the cam yourself. Check out dpreview on iso, white balance performance etc to identify the strengths n weaknesses of each cam.

for the time being most prob would be the kit lens first? im just near average in terms of income and savings, therefore after my purchase, it would be quite awhile before i would be able to buy more accessories, but definitely drybox on my priority list

i'm not able to really tell, besides E-520, whether the other 2 cameras can use the 4/3 lens?
No way. Sony n canon are not using 4/3 system. So 4/3 lenses e.g. zuiko, can only be used on olympus cams.

Go get the D60 lah, it's priced about SGD 860 in Hong Kong or about SGD960 (last I heard) in Singapore.

considered and tested it before, didnt felt quite right in my hands

No way. Sony n canon are not using 4/3 system. So 4/3 lenses e.g. zuiko, can only be used on olympus cams.

ok as im quite a newbie.. but would that part be very important? as i've a cousin using dslrs also but as he's abroad i can't confirm with him but i know he's using nikon, either D40 or D40x, which means we can't exchange lens then?

Are you expecting non-PP pics?

How would you know that a "bad" pic is due to a

1)bad lens in a good hands
2)a good lens in bad hands
3)a bad lens in a bad hands
4) a good pic with bad PP
5) a bad pic with bad PP?

Are you expecting non-PP pics?

How would you know that a "bad" pic is due to a

1)bad lens in a good hands
2)a good lens in bad hands
3)a bad lens in a bad hands
4) a good pic with bad PP
5) a bad pic with bad PP?

sorry im still not familiar with all the terms in CS, non-pp = non-people?
i am not saying that seeing pictures that's WOW i'll immediately buy that camera, just seeing and at the same time viewing what was used, the aperture, shutter, camera. its all just seeing and learning. if i see a picture that im interested, of course i'd pm the owner of the picture to ask how its done, after all, im still new, all i want now is to learn, shoot, learn.. :sweat:

PP means post processed. Maybe the original picture was not too good, but the photoshop skills of the person could be good enough to salvage it into a decent picture.
So the quality of the picture is not so much dependent on the quality of the lens per se.

sorry im still not familiar with all the terms in CS, non-pp = non-people?
i am not saying that seeing pictures that's WOW i'll immediately buy that camera, just seeing and at the same time viewing what was used, the aperture, shutter, camera. its all just seeing and learning. if i see a picture that im interested, of course i'd pm the owner of the picture to ask how its done, after all, im still new, all i want now is to learn, shoot, learn.. :sweat:

Main point is that.. You can't compare cameras based on photos sent to you. It is ultra super duper subjective.

hmm.. ok.. thanks alot ahbian gavin and the rest on that :)

still considering between them 3.. lol.. wanted to go down today but had a round of heavy migraine end up stuck in bed until now.. guess i've to wait for next weekend then :|

hmm.. ok.. thanks alot ahbian gavin and the rest on that :)

still considering between them 3.. lol.. wanted to go down today but had a round of heavy migraine end up stuck in bed until now.. guess i've to wait for next weekend then :|

Get the canon :bsmilie: For no reason at all. Just the canon :bsmilie:

Canon :heart:

If I may suggest, drop the idea of 4/3s and add the D60 to your list. You can compare the prices of lenses, image quality based on reviews and prices from this site. However, you need to compare the 3 cameras side by side to make an assesment of the features that you like. Last point, don't listen to sales talk, walk away if you are unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.