Importing Items ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sequitur

Apr 17, 2003
flickr.com
hi,

as anybody imported items before.. as in, buy online from B&H and send back to singapore ? Would like to check what kind of costs are incurred.

For e.g. i want to buy SGD$5000 worth of items. what extra costs are incurred ?

most impt : do we have to pay GST for the items we buy from USA ?

need to pay GST for >$400 (if I remember the amount correctly) of stuff. B&H has two warehouses, so if you order many items, they might come from the two warehouses and arrive in separate packages - resulting in additional shipping costs.

sian

so let's say, for eg, the price of something in USA is SGD $5000 in singapore is $5250 then if you import from usa because of GST will become $5250 also ?

sequitur said:
sian

so let's say, for eg, the price of something in USA is SGD $5000 in singapore is $5250 then if you import from usa because of GST will become $5250 also ?

No .... more then that, you have to include the price of shipping and insurance too, both shipping and insurance's GST too.

ooh that kinda sucks.

okay thanks for the info guys

Don't quite agree with above posts.

I've bought a lens from B&H and including GST and postage, it's still cheaper than the quotes from SG shops. I'm now contemplating buying a EOS10D+24-70mm F2.8L. The cost is about $400 cheaper after tax and postage. However, exchange rate can affect the savings, but it seems to be in our favour at the moment.

It seems that the more items you buy, the postage cost is lower. In my last experience, I received the item in 3 days and credit card was charged after that.

Catch is warranty. Lens has int'l warranty but not the body...don't understand that. Canon SG states that int'l warranty only valid for 6 mths whereas local is one year. Applies globally.

Hope this clears up.

Sorry, I'd like to add the prices does not apply across the board. Some items are cheaper some are more expensive. You need to check them out.

Cheers :)

PhotoAnt said:
Don't quite agree with above posts.

I've bought a lens from B&H and including GST and postage, it's still cheaper than the quotes from SG shops. I'm now contemplating buying a EOS10D+24-70mm F2.8L. The cost is about $400 cheaper after tax and postage. However, exchange rate can affect the savings, but it seems to be in our favour at the moment.

It seems that the more items you buy, the postage cost is lower. In my last experience, I received the item in 3 days and credit card was charged after that.

Catch is warranty. Lens has int'l warranty but not the body...don't understand that. Canon SG states that int'l warranty only valid for 6 mths whereas local is one year. Applies globally.

Hope this clears up.

Personally, I don't understand which part you do not agree ...... He is asking if he get something that is worth SGD5000 from USA does it mean he only pays SGD5000 or he is liable for Taxes and other things. We are advising him on hidden cost such as GST, Shipping, Insurance, exchange rate (especially if you use credit card to pay, the rate is ridiculous) .... etc etc.....

There is no indication of anything regarding if it is cheaper to get the items from USA then from Singapore ......

Status
Not open for further replies.