IMF World Bank Brief - My take on Photography scene in Singapore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly everyone, i'll love to go, because this is a once in a lifetime experience, but i hate to say, the chance of me going to shoot on the actual meetings would probably be alot less, due to the conflict in equipment.

dont you guys think it's dumb? honestly, i'm really feeling lousy over here. =/

Stratix said:
honestly everyone, i'll love to go, because this is a once in a lifetime experience, but i hate to say, the chance of me going to shoot on the actual meetings would probably be alot less, due to the conflict in equipment.

dont you guys think it's dumb? honestly, i'm really feeling lousy over here. =/
you now expecting them to change the policy? unlikely right...looks like this issue is troubling u a lot. then no point taking photos feeling troubled. its a hobby, not a burden :bsmilie:

this should be sent to Sumiko Tan. :bsmilie:

Companies always say no free lunch but always asking for it

Stratix said:
As a photographer whom just attended a briefing session held by MAS / MFA / MICA / Fuji Xerox, for the World Bank / IMF Meetings next month. I can’t help but to wonder, what and where photography has headed towards when it comes to our small red dot – a place we call home, Singapore.

Because Fuji Xerox is the sponsors for the event in terms of imaging, and all related products / services, they had explicitly mentioned that no Canon cameras will be allowed on the ground during that event, because of the conflict in branding. Canon and Fuji Xerox are rivals in the imaging business. Sad to say, they encourage Fujifilm cameras, and of course Nikon (since they are housed in the same building…)............

No time to follow the entire post. I was there as well. The pple from FX were trying to make Canon cameras compatible. They did not BAN photographers that uses Canon camera from the event. One suggestion given by FX pple was for canon users to update their CF cards every 30mins or so to the main server.

I'm hardcore Canon user as well, 300D/350D/G2/A80/Ixus400. So what if they really BAN Canon? Big deal?

You should be more concerned about the loss of total rights to the pictures, and you might not even know what pictures you take as you're not allowed to bring home ANY picture at all.

di0nysus said:
No time to follow the entire post. I was there as well. The pple from FX were trying to make Canon cameras compatible. They did not BAN photographers that uses Canon camera from the event. One suggestion given by FX pple was for canon users to update their CF cards every 30mins or so to the main server.

I'm hardcore Canon user as well, 300D/350D/G2/A80/Ixus400. So what if they really BAN Canon? Big deal?

You should be more concerned about the loss of total rights to the pictures, and you might not even know what pictures you take as you're not allowed to bring home ANY picture at all.

they did explictly say, no Canon cameras allowed, due to the branding issue. The subject behind the manual updating is meant for cameras / photographers that cannot use the wireless transmission system.

Right till the end, there was a clear and straight resolve on the Canon BRANDING issue that was explictly mentioned. =)

Students of Singapore, stand up to be exploited! stand up for this once in a life time chance to get ass raped. Not everyone gets this experience!

In the meantime, convince all these organisers that photography is such a worthless craft.
I wonder if they do the same thing with contractors to get their makeshift offices in suntec built.
"I offer you $50 for this once in a lifetime chance to do us a favour."

Stratix said:
they did explictly say, no Canon cameras allowed, due to the branding issue. The subject behind the manual updating is meant for cameras / photographers that cannot use the wireless transmission system.

Right till the end, there was a clear and straight resolve on the Canon BRANDING issue that was explictly mentioned. =)

Sorry, I might have mis-interpreted the briefing. If Canon is really banned, then James should have mentioned earlier. Waste time to get to MAS at 430pm etc.

CYRN said:
mabbe it's only applicapable for students volunteers. :dunno:

yeah, i believe it's only applicable to the student volunteers.

i think this is OT, but just my personal thoughts.

not everyone has the privilege of covering such a major event (besides the international press) and these volunteers will be assisting the organizers as official photographers! since the sponsors have specifically indicated to the lucky few that no other brands are allowed, then just stick to the rule. just tahan for a wk lah... the main point is, it's THE experience you'll get in covering an international event!

i mean, if one is so concerned over the branding issue and insists on using his/her XYZ brand, then just reject the offer. i believe there're many others who'd gladly fill up the empty slot just to have the opportunity of being there as an official photographer for the IMF.

it's not about the money or brand, but the experience!

irenet said:

not everyone has the privilege of covering such a major event (besides the international press) and these volunteers will be assisting the organizers as official photographers! since the sponsors have specifically indicated to the lucky few that no other brands are allowed, then just stick to the rule. just tahan for a wk lah... the main point is, it's THE experience you'll get in covering an international event!

i mean, if one is so concerned over the branding issue and insists on using his/her XYZ brand, then just reject the offer. i believe there're many others who'd gladly fill up the empty slot just to have the opportunity of being there as an official photographer for the IMF.

you're spot on.

right from the start of this thread, i'm someone who've expressed great interest in photographing this event. else, i wont be even bothered to be ranting to begin with - i'll probably brush it off and forget it.

i REALLY WANT to go, but because of the rule, i'm probably less prioritized. get my point? =)

irenet said:

Well said!:thumbsup: i believe there're many others who'd gladly fill up the empty slot too! but my advise is that just take it easy and tahan.. Experience counts.!

irenet said:

Experience? Hmm. Do the organizers actually sponsor/supply cameras for usage? If they don't, guess who's paying for each frame that the shutter actually shoots.

sehsuan said:
Experience? Hmm. Do the organizers actually sponsor/supply cameras for usage? If they don't, guess who's paying for each frame that the shutter actually shoots.

i think she meant the experience for student photographers to be involved in such a big event. Not everyone have this opportunity.

And yes, Fuji Xerox have said they will loan out cameras.

melvinmah said:
i think she meant the experience for student photographers to be involved in such a big event. Not everyone have this opportunity.

And yes, Fuji Xerox have said they will loan out cameras.

once again, I will ask experience in what? One don't need much exp. to shoot talking heads or any event.

oeyvind said:
once again, I will ask experience in what? One don't need much exp. to shoot talking heads or any event.

Then I will ask you what kind of event or photograph need a lot of exp?:think:

oeyvind said:

Experience in having an assignment? Having that pressure against you, for taking nice pictures maybe? As an amateur photographer myself, shootin' talking heads can also be a good exposure.

Other experiences include timing, anticipating people's movements to capture that nice candid. Group shots, arranging people, shooting under tricky lighting conditions. I'm not that technical but I hope u understand what I mean.

You may find it easy.. effortless to take talking heads, but that doesn't apply for everyone. I do respect you as a photographer, perhaps even a very good one (i dunno). Shouldn't you be encouraging student photographers rather than telling 'em shooting talking heads is a waste of time?

sehsuan said:
Plenty. Live events. This IMF event is as exciting as... my Geography textbook. :p

i take it as sarcasm. but some people may love Geography. And isn't IMF a live event? People walking around and all. Now it seems like it's more of an issue about one man's meat is another man's poison. I'm not thinking too highly of myself and I'm not inspired to become a professional photographer someday. But I do believe this involvement, meant for students.. is to give them the feel, what it is like to be on the frontline, what it may be like to be a photojournalist.

oeyvind said:

what i meant was volunteering to be part of a major event.. especially to someone who has never covered a major event such as this before. it's that sense of pride when you tell your friends or family that you're involved in the IMF. so to me, it's not just 'to shoot talking heads', but the experience of being part of this event.

too bad for me as i'm no longer studying else i'd volunteer as one of the photographers.

melvinmah said:
Experience in having an assignment? Having that pressure against you, for taking nice pictures maybe? As an amateur photographer myself, shootin' talking heads can also be a good exposure.

Other experiences include timing, anticipating people's movements to capture that nice candid. Group shots, arranging people, shooting under tricky lighting conditions. I'm not that technical but I hope u understand what I mean.

You may find it easy.. effortless to take talking heads, but that doesn't apply for everyone. I do respect you as a photographer, perhaps even a very good one (i dunno). Shouldn't you be encouraging student photographers rather than telling 'em shooting talking heads is a waste of time?

aiyo... if you think these will be valuable experience for you, then by all means go ahead do it. All I wanna say is make sure you u like/enjoy it, and try not being someone's slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.