Images from Pentax SMC Pentax-DA 1:2.8 40mm XS

hjbyeo

May 5, 2006
East
I thought to create 1 thread dedicated to this Xtra Slim pancake. There's also pancake from Canon recently ... see image below. But just look at the Pentax one
(ok, it doesn't have the STM motor).

I have mostly shot with this lens on Film, and love the results. No vignetting as FW tested earlier.

Only 2 to share for now ... all on film.

SMC40XS, ASA100, MZ-30

SMC40XS, ASA100, MZ-30

hjbyeo

May 5, 2006
East
A very versatile lens, it's my version of the hugely popular Fujifilm x100, the MZ-30 with 40XS, except that I get to choose the sensor I want and I don't get SAB.

SMC40XS, ASA100, MZ-30

The original lens owner and a Pentaxian.

SMC40XS, ASA100, MZ-30

Our very own award winning Pentaxian.

hjbyeo

May 5, 2006
East

Indeed! Guys, let's put in your share of pictures please!

Scanned a couple more ...

SMC40XS, ASA100, MZ-30

SMC40XS, ASA100, MZ-30

Sri Geylang Serai in the evening ...

Last edited:

edutilos-

Dec 28, 2010
The Universe
www.facebook.com
Thanks for starting the thread. It's becoming a fast favourite of mine and I find myself hardly using the 50mm f/1.4 nowadays even though it is faster... After all I always use it at F/2.8... And it's heavier and slightly larger. Maybe I'll sell that lens soon..

Some re-posts that I put up earlier in another thread.. Besides the small light size.. The curved blades really make the bokeh very smooth!

poseur

Jul 27, 2009
Dinner photography using the DA40XS

Yasuo

Jul 28, 2010
This is my far preferred lens than my 18-135mm and I love the images it produced. It's a really good budget lens for new users.

Even used it for fireworks during NDP

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
Bernard, thanks for starting this thread.
The DA40XS is such a nice lens to just pop on the camera and feel unencumbered as a setup.

I did not want to be bogged down with too much camera stuff on a non-photography family trip into Malaysia 2 weeks back.
Didn't want poor quality photos too just in case any photo opportunities came up.
So just slapped on the DA40 onto my K5.
Well, as it is, I passed my a back alley where the store was roasting the chicken for chicken rice.
Grabbed a shot.

aldo199

Jun 21, 2011
Singapore
Hi,

I recently went to Bali and brought 3 lenses, even though this vacation is not meant for a photo-hunting trip.
What a waste of space and mass, because I ended up using only the DA 40 XS.
I will surely bring just this one lens for any future vacation :)
All shot with K-r.

Close up, stage shot, this lens can do a lot of things, and it's fun to use it :)

Aug 26, 2009
very nice lens to have and play with. people are often quite curious about it when i bring it out. lost count of all the funny questions i get like "what special effects does it have?", "you can take photo with that?" etc :bsmilie:

i'm still not used to the focal length though, prefer it to be a bit wider like 35mm for walkabout. i like to use it to take random stuff which makes it quite fun.

iso1600, f2.8 on the K-r

i just lost the lens cap last week though. argh.

Sen028

Jul 14, 2012
Singapore
very nice lens to have and play with. people are often quite curious about it when i bring it out. lost count of all the funny questions i get like "what special effects does it have?", "you can take photo with that?" etc :bsmilie:

i'm still not used to the focal length though, prefer it to be a bit wider like 35mm for walkabout. i like to use it to take random stuff which makes it quite fun.

iso1600, f2.8 on the K-r

Lost mine too. Cost me $20 at the local distro. Almost lost it again last week. :(

Aug 26, 2009
Lost mine too. Cost me $20 at the local distro. Almost lost it again last week. :(
i bought 2 third party lens cap now as replacement. good to know that you can buy it from the local distro.

gtl1987

Oct 28, 2008
Nice custom earphones. 3rd party lens cap from ebay works well? The very small 27mm size ones

hjbyeo

May 5, 2006
East
eh....saw this thread... so this setup u show me can do this not bad... still amaze that this lens can cover the entire FF image circle...
Just for the fun of it ... Of course the 43 LTD would have been better. But I just like its wafer thin dimensions.

fengwei

Staff member
Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com

iso1600, f2.8 on the K-r

What earphones are those? I've tried pretty much every earphones I'd like to buy at Stereo, ended up w/ a pair of UM2. They sound the best to me when matched w/ lossy iP4. I only listen to pop songs when I'm on the go, got big full size cans at home for serious listening.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2009
What earphones are those? I've tried pretty much every earphones I'd like to buy at Stereo, ended up w/ a pair of UM2. They sound the best to me when matched w/ lossy iP4. I only listen to pop songs when I'm on the go, got big full size cans at home for serious listening.
reshell d-jays. red and black in colour. mine is the second photo here: My new toy - SGHeadphones

i was the pioneer batch of reshelling at Stereo. wow looking back it has been more than 3 years already. it's my only earphones and still going strong. :heart:

Top Bottom