Image Storage at High Altitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner

Jan 24, 2002
Visit site
Hi all as mentioned above, does anyone have any experience of storing digital images in high altitude places of say about 4000m?

I've consider using a DA Lite kinda of storage, but quite worried that
the associated low air pression will badly affects the hard disks.

What kind of storage media should I use?

Thanks in advance

scanner said:
Hi all as mentioned above, does anyone have any experience of storing digital images in high altitude places of say about 4000m?

I've consider using a DA Lite kinda of storage, but quite worried that
the associated low air pression will badly affects the hard disks.

What kind of storage media should I use?

Thanks in advance

Anyone??????

Last month I carried my Nikon D100 & X-drive2 to Yunan highland, which is about 3000m above sea level. There was no problem at all. All hard drive are sealed in vacuum, there cannot be any leaks to external atmosphere. (Just imagine that the hard drive spindle motor spinning at 5400 rpm, that is almost equal to driving a sportscar at 300 km/hr.) Normally I shoot with CF cards in daytime, then at nighttime I went back to hotel room and save on X-drive2.

Extra suggestions for highland trip:
- walk slowly, dont run, there is not enough Oxygen.
- bring plenty of drinking water wherever you go.
- but then you may not find the toilet when you need 1.
- highland is very high in ultraviolet light, so a good filter is recommended.
- dont shoot into the sun, the flare is extremely strong (unless you use Nikkor primes hehe)
- bring lens hood.
- very dusty environment, take care when changing lens.

Hi,

Was close to 4000m with my DA Lite. Didn't experience any problem...or rather, not that I know of anyway ;p

Cheerios,
TRiSh

TRiShnDaisy said:
Hi,

Was close to 4000m with my DA Lite. Didn't experience any problem...or rather, not that I know of anyway ;p

Cheerios,
TRiSh
Interesting, I thought that normally, hardisk can only operate to an altitude of say about 3000m. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Astin, TRiShnDaisy, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.